• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Getting ready for next year!

kodak

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Doing some upgrades to my viper xtx I ride mostly backcountry but not a lot of long hill climbs and little to no racing but feel like viper needs some attention to reach full potential. I have between 3 and 4 thousand to spend my plans are a performance package clutching , exhaust intake controller plus narrow a arm kit and shocks or 190 hp turbo package. Really would like to narrow the front for sidehilling and carving but don't want to give up on turbo if narrowing up my sled doesn't, make much of a difference. Any thoughts opinions or experiences will be appreciated.

Turbo is goin on mine this summer. Was gonna do the bolt on parts like you mentioned but bang for the buck you can't beat the turbo in comparison. No turbo experience yet but everyone on here with a turbo absolutely loves them. However doing a turbo and clutching is gonna use up all of your $4k and then some

The 38" front end will make a huge difference in side hilling ability! There are several options out there for 38" front ends, all of which will require shorter front shocks. The stock 42" front shocks are 18 5/8" long, while the 38" shocks are 17.1" long.

Since you like to ride the back country and if the snow is deep or you like to make trips to the mountains, a 153" 2.6" Power Claw track works really well! The most expensive part is the track of course, however Proclimb 153" rails, tunnel extension and bumper can be found for reasonable cost. ;)!

Bill

Made an MTX.

38 inch front end, kit for 2012 Cat bought on ebay for 200 bucks
Fox Floats shortened by racinstation for 200 bucks
Track extension 150 bucks
Used like new 153 2.25 track from a Cat for 350 bucks

Handles AMAZING = priceless.

Tunnel extension was not used, mud flap was shortened and used heat gun to raise angle.

Thanks for reply did any of you try the narrow front end before stretching out sled I did not want to lengthen track because we do not get a lot of snow here for long periods of time so if you want to lengthen the season you have to ride in minimal snow or truck to mountains. Which is awesome but hard on the pocket book anymore than a couple times a year. Especially years you drop major mod money inthe off season.

Just pulled the trigger on a hurricane 190 hp kit and clutching . I was on the fence but after talking to Dave at hurricane performance felt it was the right move . to tell the truth after having an apex at 150 hp my viper at 190 scares the crap out of me can't wait. :bling

Hey I ordered my hurricane 190 hp kit and clutching about a month ago. I believe that's aleast 3 of us from Newfoundland with the Hurricane turbo kits ordered. Can't wait to install mind in the fall

Man you TURBO Guys are gonna have fun, kinda make us stock guys wonder what if..................?

Have fun be safe

Yamadoo

I wondered what if all winter..now I'm in the same boat of.."I can't wait til next winter!" Lol I went with the mpi inner cooler turbo kit for 1: I got a very reasonable price and 2: I'm thinking in the safety aspect and want to make sure there is no chance of any type of malfunction and the inner cooled kits have been proven for years!

kodak said:
awesome. where u from? i live in conception bay south maybe a turbo run the winter.[/quo

I live in conception bay north, turbo run the winter sounds awesome.

yamadoo said:
Man you TURBO Guys are gonna have fun, kinda make us stock guys wonder what if..................?

Have fun be safe

Yamadoo

Well while fun, and pretty fast, I think bolt ons are the better way to go! Easy turn key and go. 87 gas without having to worry about anything. Long WOT runs without and worry. No need to worry about AFR numbers, Boost, temp, rpm. Just some good old bolt on fun with no worries!! :sled1:

Grass is not always greener on the other side!!

YamahaTim said:
yamadoo said:

Have fun be safe

Yamadoo

Well while fun, and pretty fast, I think bolt ons are the better way to go! Easy turn key and go. 87 gas without having to worry about anything. Long WOT runs without and worry. No need to worry about AFR numbers, Boost, temp, rpm. Just some good old bolt on fun with no worries!! :sled1:

Needless to say, I think we all know the viper responds very well to bolt ons..but when you start pricing it out..intake, full exhaust, fuel controller and you can spend around $2000 pretty easily and get maybe 150hp. Just seems like a lot of money invested to gain 15ish hp. Granted the price I paid for my turbo was a reasonable amount less than retail doing some figuring with bolt on mods it's going to cost you roughly $120/hp. Even with the retail price of around $4500 for the original mpi turbo running at 6#'s of boost u only pay $75/hp. Bang for the buck is FAR greater with the turbo. I get what you're saying about being safe with bolt on mods but like you've been saying all season..if yamaha will support the mpi turbo on their sleds from the factory then you know it's as good as the bolt on mods as far as reliability.

Studroes144 said:
YamahaTim said:
yamadoo said:

Have fun be safe

Yamadoo

Needless to say, I think we all know the viper responds very well to bolt ons..but when you start pricing it out..intake, full exhaust, fuel controller and you can spend around $2000 pretty easily and get maybe 150hp. Just seems like a lot of money invested to gain 15ish hp. Granted the price I paid for my turbo was a reasonable amount less than retail doing some figuring with bolt on mods it's going to cost you roughly $120/hp. Even with the retail price of around $4500 for the original mpi turbo running at 6#'s of boost u only pay $75/hp. Bang for the buck is FAR greater with the turbo. I get what you're saying about being safe with bolt on mods but like you've been saying all season..if yamaha will support the mpi turbo on their sleds from the factory then you know it's as good as the bolt on mods as far as reliability.

I think MPI will stand behind there kit! And they are great! But after thinking about my choice for jumping into the turbo besides just the bolt ons like on my Nytro was just like you said. Money per hp. The turbo holds up great! And it's a great match with the 1049! I was disappointed with the speed of it. And it's not the turbo, or the motor. It's using it in the Viper that changed things. So the difference between the Viper and the Nytro in speed only is way different! And it shows. To be honest I'm just not willing to spend precious snow time testing this thing. Always worried about what gas I get, AFR's and all that crap. Yes it's fast, but I just want turn key and go. I did have some bad luck with mine with a few things, not related to the MPI turbo. But things that was changed for the turbo or moving things around. I'm at WOT a lot and ride fast. And to me there is a reason that Yamaha don't sell this kit to us guys below 6000'. And I guess I got old in one year cause I don't want to mod my sleds anymore and I just want a fast adjustable fun sled from the go. No more mods and wasted money in mods that I never get back and I'm pissing tons of money away. As I buy new sleds every two years. I'm not much of a racer, I just want good speed corner to corner.

For the guys ordering a 2015 Viper or getting turbo's for there 2014's I wish the best of luck! And hope you get what you want! There are some of us that were let down, but the overall sled was a success! And that's a great thing. I will wait a few years for Yamaha to perfect a 800 class sled that's adjustable and fun all in one! Lol....20,000 dollars for a snowmobile that still needs adjustable shocks and some of my own mods correcting the hood, and some other things. Man that's a good down payment on a Corvette Z06!

Like I have said before, I liked my viper, but it needs some tweaking to make it a great sled. And hopefully they get that done! I really beat the crap out of my sleds and the turbo requires too much of my attention and I'm not willing to do that. Sorry this is so long. Just wanted to give some reason for my comment. All the turbo's are great and the guys at MPI are awesome!! And will help with everything. Matt has been there for me a lot this year!!

I just don't think spending more money on the Viper to be what I want it to be, when it should of already been that, with the turbo. And to me it's still not. And I hope in a couple of years it will be!! Cause I'll order another one! Yamaha is still my choice of all motor sports!

Back