• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Grand island ice caves munising

super1c

Country
USA
Snowmobile
22 sidewinder LTX-LE
hey guys! Seeing the seasons over for me unless we get a freak storm was just looking at maps for things to do next season. We did the Eben ice caves and loved them. Has anyone here done the grand island ice caves? Through research I see most people cross at sand point and do east side of island conditions permitting. What I don’t get is how you get a sled down to the bay? Anyone know the easiest way to get down there and to the east side to see the best part of the ice caves. I get this is all depending on conditions but would love to do this if it works out. Any info would be awesome. Thanks chris

hey guys! Seeing the seasons over for me unless we get a freak storm was just looking at maps for things to do next season. We did the Eben ice caves and loved them. Has anyone here done the grand island ice caves? Through research I see most people cross at sand point and do east side of island conditions permitting. What I don’t get is how you get a sled down to the bay? Anyone know the easiest way to get down there and to the east side to see the best part of the ice caves. I get this is all depending on conditions but would love to do this if it works out. Any info would be awesome. Thanks chris

I have driven out on sleds from M28 boat launch and I have walked from the shore near the Hospital.

we did that a few years ago definitely was pretty cool. curious to see if conditions are still right when we are up there end of the week

It would be fun but this story from February 3, 2018 keeps me away. ...and it was very cold that week.

From Mlive.com:

GRAND ISLAND, MI - Alger County Sheriff's officials are warning of dangerous ice conditions after four snowmobiles broke through the ice on Munising Bay Saturday.

The incident occurred in the East Channel near the lighthouse, close to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.

"All four riders are safe, but needed transport back to the mainland from Alger County Rescue 21 members," Sheriff Todd Brock said. "Ice conditions near Grand Island are dangerous!"

The rescue team responded about 10:45 a.m. after getting a 911 call about people going through the ice.

The riders were able to pull themselves out of the water and make it to Grand Island, according to UPMatters.com.

Rescuers used a hovercraft to reach them. No injuries were reported.

Arrangements will be made to pull the snowmobiles from the water, WLUC reported.

It would be fun but this story from February 3, 2018 keeps me away. ...and it was very cold that week.

From Mlive.com:

GRAND ISLAND, MI - Alger County Sheriff's officials are warning of dangerous ice conditions after four snowmobiles broke through the ice on Munising Bay Saturday.

The incident occurred in the East Channel near the lighthouse, close to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.

"All four riders are safe, but needed transport back to the mainland from Alger County Rescue 21 members," Sheriff Todd Brock said. "Ice conditions near Grand Island are dangerous!"

The rescue team responded about 10:45 a.m. after getting a 911 call about people going through the ice.

The riders were able to pull themselves out of the water and make it to Grand Island, according to UPMatters.com.

Rescuers used a hovercraft to reach them. No injuries were reported.

Arrangements will be made to pull the snowmobiles from the water, WLUC reported.

For sure always in the back of my mind. Same with the ice bridge to mackinaw. I did some more research and even hiring a guide from "lake superior ice cave tours" sounds like a option. They will even haul out lunch for your group for the right price.

I did the Grand Island tour at the end of year ride. Wasnt much for Ice on the east side of the cliffs but I was able to ride on the ice itself a little ways on both east and west sides. Made me nervous. I did enjoy the Island itself. Was about 20mi all the way around staying on the trail on the Island itself. To get there just take trail to Munising Bay which is at the T for Christmas. You go down the big hill to gas station,cross the road and your at the Boat launch. You can see where people cross very easily. Once on trails they are well mapped but narrow and lot of downed trees to go over or around but the view is well worth it. Is pics in TY End of Year Ride thread.

Back