• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Have the Valve cover off of the motor - Are we there yet?

Freak

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
How much more time involved with changing pistons from this point back to this point where I can take back over. Have my $30/hr mechanic coming over to help me tommorrow and just wanted to know what to expect.

what to expect? Parts. Lots of little parts. Actually, it's really not a bad job - just more of everything than a 2 stroke.

so do you need to be as exact as the service manual says? ie: torque this bolt to 7.2lbs .... etc... Im sure my mechanic will know just wanted to hear from some who have diy'd it.

Couple of thoughts for you to keep in mind while you're doing the work...

Loosen your cam caps evenly - there's a fair amount of pressure on them.

When the lobes are facing away from each other on 1, 4 you are on the compression stroke.

Think clean. Like, hospital clean.

Bearings (case and big end) are not interchangeable. Everything goes back exactly where/how it came out.

If you have a digital camera, taking a few photos of the teardown could be helpful later on...

Make sure you gap your rings properly. I do mine at .012"

It's just as easy to torque a bolt to 8lbs as it is 11 lbs - unless you know something that Yamaha doesn't, there's really no reason not to follow their specs.

Keep the tension on the exhaust side of the cam chain when re-installing the sprockets.

Be positive you have the marks indexed correctly when doing the cam timing.

Don't forget to buy some Yamabond before you start re-assembling.

Check your alignment once the engine is back in.

Good luck, post if you get hung up on something.

If you are doing the rods, you need to measure the bolt stretch, not just torque them. Just think when you get the engine together, you still have to put the sled back together. :(

Dear Lord what did i sign up for..... just keep thinking back to that insane test ride of Climbmaxes Turbo and it will all be worth it......

Thanks for the tips!!

OMG Freak...............just saw your signature........frikin funny.

Only LaGuns (snowester) has to call me Daddy..........for spankin his 1404 Hooper.

Get'r done.........Thunderstruck style!!!!
Then you can pull the trigger.

CM

I would agree with the 8-10 hours to get back to where you currently are. I'm assuming you have the engine out and setting on a bench.

Like Lakercr said take your time and follow all specs in the manual. Remember to replace all rod bolts. Don't reuse them. When you put the cams in use the single mark on the magent NOT the double mark. Check the timing then recheck and then recheck one more time. Turn the motor over several times then check it one last time.

Climbmax said:
OMG Freak...............just saw your signature........frikin funny.

Only LaGuns (snowester) has to call me Daddy..........for spankin his 1404 Hooper.

Get'r done.........Thunderstruck style!!!!
Then you can pull the trigger.

CM

Not Daddy ... Father Climbmax!

Back