• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

help pls-steering knuckle ovaling at tie rod

rtx15

It is hard to see in the 2nd picture below but there is lots of room for the bolt to move around. It makes setting the skis almost impossible.
I was thinking of attaching plates above and below (not sure how i am going to do this yet) and drilling the proper size holes in them then just using a longer bolt, any suggestions?

Attachments

• Ovaled hole.JPG
    Ovaled hole.JPG
    460.4 KB · Views: 77
  • side.JPG
    side.JPG
    480.2 KB · Views: 95

I had that happen to mine from the tie rod loosening. I just tightened the nut down and it loosened again. I re-tightened it again and it hasn't moved since. Maybe adding some washers, a longer bolt and double nuts will hold it all tight. Don't forget to drill a hole for a cotter pin like the original.

Solution

Similar to cracks or worn holes in rails, take it to a good welding shop. They can weld in new material and then drill it out. Works great.

Bgs

Going with moosemans idea, until the end of the season. Got a 5/16 shouldered bolt, same size diameter as threads on original. Stops tie rod bearing from moving around on the bolt too.

Attachments

• shouldered bolt.JPG
    shouldered bolt.JPG
    584.8 KB · Views: 65

Back