• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HID kit installed

Oh I'm not worried about the install (journeyman electrician by trade) but trail problems I keep hearing about.

Over 2000 miles and absolutely no problems. I think one of the most important thing when installing HID kits is to locate the relay in a dry place.

There is really no worry with Hid lights, just package up your old lights and hide them on the sled somewhere. If something ever fails, you can just unplug them and isntall the stock bulbs.

of course, after using HID lights, you wont feel safe driving over 20mph with the old ones.

someone should get ddm on here as a sponsor - i ordered a set of hid's for my fog lamps on my super duty after i was reading about them here - they sell a couple sets they are good to go on the cost.

Not to get way off topic cuz it will be my summer project but how did the superduty ones go in ,easy? I wanna install them in my 05.

Weapon X said:
Not to get way off topic cuz it will be my summer project but how did the superduty ones go in ,easy? I wanna install them in my 05.
on my 06, i had to plug them in backwards as the polarity is opposite - also sometimes the right one wont fire first try, but if you flash your brights it will fire. other than that pretty straight forward - i mounted the ballasts on the backside of the bumper next to the fog lamps with some secret phone company adhesive tape i got from a friend - well worth it now i have some serious driving lights in the fog lamps.

If you don't have HID's installed already you need a full kit. The numbers by bulbs (ie, 6000k) is the color of the light. 5000k on most sets is the most brilliant white. 6000k are also very bright white but have some blue. The lower the number is more yellow going to orange. Then 5000k is white. 6000k to 8000k is blue going to purple. Above 8000k are getting into violet and are dark. In my truck I went with 6000k in my headlights and fogs and I love them.

My recommendation is to find a kit with 5000k or 6000k bulbs. Make sure it has ballasts, relays, bulbs. A fuse and all mounting hardware.

Also, do you know what kind of bulb your truck uses? Mine used H4's like our sleds. If you look in your owners manual it roll tell you. It's just the shape of the bulb where it connects inside the housing. Good luck.

02xtreme said:
Actually looking for my Apex not my truck. Looks like 35w dual hi/low 4500k h4??

if you look at the options on the website it has a "bulb color" chart... Im looking at it also, trying to match the color of my beam to my blue on the yammie... im going with the 6 or 8 k beam havent made up my mind yet on that one, I know one thing tho, they are way brighter than stock lights what ever color you go with.

From other posts I have read, 4500K seems to be the favorite of sledders. It's the brightest and has less of a tendency of casting shadows on the snow. I have the 4500K and there is still a blue tinge to them. Just makes my Yammy look like a BMW when they light up!

02xtreme said:
Actually looking for my Apex not my truck. Looks like 35w dual hi/low 4500k h4??

Yep. Apex sleds use B-Xenon (hi/low) 35 watt H4 size bulb HID's. Many use 4300k or 4500k for sledding to avoid casting "shadows" when riding. I have 4300k in my sled. If I ever have to purchase repalcement bulbs, I will procure 5000k or 6000k bulbs. I like the more blu-ish light myself.

Back