• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How about a positive " I love my Sidewinder thread".

There's a thing called the Sidewinder Smile...I have the smile and everyone who has rode my sled I have seen the smile when they get off the sled...it's has been hard to get the sled back from them...we get to an intersection and they just take off with the Cruise Missle...it is funny..
I love letting people try my 998!!
The shocked look on there face is priceless

Ok, my stock STX-GT has around 200hp, I love the smooth power and when squeezed it just screams, I can't imagine adding another 65-75hp by tuning...I can see young adrenaline junkies doing it for sure...I'm getting up there in age...any faster it would give me a heart attack lol...I'm a conservative operator and probably don't do this sled justice but for me it's just everything a sled should be...oil leaks have me a tad concerned though.

If you have an oil leak, get it serviced now under warranty. a good dealer will warranty it and seal it correctly.

Anyone you ride with on the latest two strokes? I know even stock they are easily beatable, but I really like that extra 60 HP so I can really put the boots to them.
I most ride with another Winder, and Vipers/Vectors.

I have to admit that it is an adrenaline boost when you come up behind someone on the trail who is not keeping your pace, and you can just (safely) blow by them in nothing flat. Winder acceleration and handling are just amazing.

it is at the dealer and they are taking care of it...problem is it just won't seal and its been there for at least 5 weeks now...maybe 6 weeks. Down the line I hope Travis's chain case gasket really works...I'd feel allot better. Everything about this sled I really like, the handling, comfort, looks....all great. I'm not the only guy who has problems with leaks...I'm sure Yamaha is talking to Cat about a fix because this can't continue and still be considered reliable.

No tune for me. Fast enough. Great sled so far.

I also ride my ‘19 sidewinder stock. Can’t imagine the trouble I could get in with another 50-60 horse. I’ve had 6000 miles of constant smiles, and power surged a 21 sidewinder LTX GT. It’s going to be a looooooong SUMMER!!!

Hank

If you have an oil leak, get it serviced now under warranty. a good dealer will warranty it and seal it correctly.
the dealer has been great, the problem is with the chain case cover, they are ordering the third cover because they keep coming in warped and don't flush up with the chain case....strange that the original was warped and 2 more were warped...I hope the 4th is charmed. Seems something is wrong with the manufacturing of the chain case cover or at least the ones going on my sled.

Ok, my stock STX-GT has around 200hp, I love the smooth power and when squeezed it just screams, I can't imagine adding another 65-75hp by tuning...I can see young adrenaline junkies doing it for sure...I'm getting up there in age...any faster it would give me a heart attack lol...I'm a conservative operator and probably don't do this sled justice but for me it's just everything a sled should be...oil leaks have me a tad concerned though.
I am not a young adrenaline junkie at 56 and i thought the same way that i don't need anything more than stock but its so easy to boost these sleds and once there its very addicting. the oil leak is easy to fix yourself if your warranty is out besides its a good time to check your upper gear and weld the tensioner screws.

I am not a young adrenaline junkie at 56 and i thought the same way that i don't need anything more than stock but its so easy to boost these sleds and once there its very addicting. the oil leak is easy to fix yourself if your warranty is out besides its a good time to check your upper gear and weld the tensioner screws.
I have a 4 year warranty going forward from March, if I tune it and if I put a Barn of Parts gasket in I will probably void the warranty..besides this is what a warranty is for. The downside of my particular case of an oil leak is that its been over 2 months now that the dealer has had my machine and a "fix" for the oil leak is nowhere in sight...lots of tries new chain case covers going on but it continues to leak.
I will probably sell this sled before the warranty runs out, hopefully Yamaha can influence Cat to engineer in solutions to the problems the sidewinder is having...clearly it shouldn't take 2+ months to change oil correctly...it's no too much to ask. Can you imagine if this was sled season....

I have a 4 year warranty going forward from March, if I tune it and if I put a Barn of Parts gasket in I will probably void the warranty..besides this is what a warranty is for. The downside of my particular case of an oil leak is that its been over 2 months now that the dealer has had my machine and a "fix" for the oil leak is nowhere in sight...lots of tries new chain case covers going on but it continues to leak.
I will probably sell this sled before the warranty runs out, hopefully Yamaha can influence Cat to engineer in solutions to the problems the sidewinder is having...clearly it shouldn't take 2+ months to change oil correctly...it's no too much to ask. Can you imagine if this was sled season...

That is exactly why sometimes if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. the warranty is goof if something expensive breaks or blows apart but for general repair i feel better doing it my self than having a dealer mess with my sled. I had my chain case off twice this year to change gears between riding trips and assembled it back together with Permatex Optimum Black gasket maker the same as i used from the leak i had when new and has never leaked again. put down a good bead, put cases together on bench with very light presure on a few screws and let it dry. next day put the rest of the screws in and tighten all of them and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
That is exactly why sometimes if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. the warranty is goof if something expensive breaks or blows apart but for general repair i feel better doing it my self than having a dealer mess with my sled. I had my chain case off twice this year to change gears between riding trips and assembled it back together with Permatex Optimum Black gasket maker the same as i used from the leak i had when new and has never leaked again. put down a good bead, put cases together on bench with very light presure on a few screws and let it dry. next day put the rest of the screws in and tighten all of them and you should be good to go.
thanks, next time I WILL do that...I brought the sled in at 425 miles for the 500 mile service...didnt realize it at first that the oil was leaking...so I brought it back to the dealer to fix what I paid for..not cheap, around $400-500...under these circumstances who wouldn't do what I did? I bought a sled lift to work on and store the sled...I'm retiring and for small things I will do the work myself. This is the most amazing sled though...absolutely love the ride and so much better than the RS Venture.
Thanks for the advise and the product to use...now its boat and fishing season...got my hands full with working on the boat...Fair Winds and Following Seas my TY friends!!

Back