• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How about a positive " I love my Sidewinder thread".

Seen this video!!! Had to share! Awesome riders!!! And awesome SLED!!!

thanks, next time I WILL do that...I brought the sled in at 425 miles for the 500 mile service...didnt realize it at first that the oil was leaking...so I brought it back to the dealer to fix what I paid for..not cheap, around $400-500...under these circumstances who wouldn't do what I did? I bought a sled lift to work on and store the sled...I'm retiring and for small things I will do the work myself. This is the most amazing sled though...absolutely love the ride and so much better than the RS Venture.
Thanks for the advise and the product to use...now its boat and fishing season...got my hands full with working on the boat...Fair Winds and Following Seas my TY friends!!
It finally feels like Spring in my neck of the woods, and even though my thoughts never stray too far from my sleds, I have been working on our boats. We have a 35 year old Whaler with 2007 Yamaha 4-stroke for fishing, and a two year old bowrider with a Yamaha 150 for watersports. I don't think I will ever own another boat without Yamaha 4-stroke power!

It finally feels like Spring in my neck of the woods, and even though my thoughts never stray too far from my sleds, I have been working on our boats. We have a 35 year old Whaler with 2007 Yamaha 4-stroke for fishing, and a two year old bowrider with a Yamaha 150 for watersports. I don't think I will ever own another boat without Yamaha 4-stroke power!
The boat is the only motor toy i have that is not Yamaha powered, Cigarette Cafe Racer with 555 inch big blocks x2. 715HP each.

On my 18' 1986 duel console Sea Ox I have a 115 e-tec...the boat requires a light engine, the e-tec is an awesome engine. On the 1984 23' Sea Ox I have a 2002 Mercury 2 stoke Salt water Series 200hp with 300 hours on the engine...it sucks gas but is another awesome engine. On a Seaswirl I once has I had a 200HPDI that also was a great engine...bottom line...if an engine runs its a great engine...most problems revolve around ethanol in the gas...
If you own a boat it might be a good idea to get another one, for one reason or another one always seems to be down.

On my 18' 1986 duel console Sea Ox I have a 115 e-tec...the boat requires a light engine, the e-tec is an awesome engine. On the 1984 23' Sea Ox I have a 2002 Mercury 2 stoke Salt water Series 200hp with 300 hours on the engine...it sucks gas but is another awesome engine. On a Seaswirl I once has I had a 200HPDI that also was a great engine...bottom line...if an engine runs its a great engine...most problems revolve around ethanol in the gas...
If you own a boat it might be a good idea to get another one, for one reason or another one always seems to be down.

Wow, two vintage Sea Oxes, that is a "blast from the past" for me; you are a lucky man! When I was first out of grad-school, I dreamed of owning a Sea Ox. My Dad and I drove from Maine to North Carolina in the early 80's to do a factory tour, and we were both impressed with the quality.

IMHO, a Yamaha 4-stroke would make your boats just that much better.

Wow, two vintage Sea Oxes, that is a "blast from the past" for me; you are a lucky man! When I was first out of grad-school, I dreamed of owning a Sea Ox. My Dad and I drove from Maine to North Carolina in the early 80's to do a factory tour, and we were both impressed with the quality.

IMHO, a Yamaha 4-stroke would make your boats just that much better.
that is pretty cool, your father is a great guy to show you how boats are made...the best quality boats built in its time...Both of my boats are rock solid, 34 and 36 years old and still built stronger than current boats in my opinion. the only issue with these boats is the scuppers are close to the waterline on the transom, thus a lighter 2 stroke is an advantage.
I'm in the process of trying to get both these boats cleaned up and looking as good as they possible can...just put in a new tanks on both, cushions, redone all the teak, a bit of glass work on the deck...the list just goes on and on. These are some of these boats for sale and I have noticed the prices going up if you can believe that.
Just got my Sidewinder back, had an issue with sealing the oil tank...all good now and I have to hand it to the mechanic, he didn't give up...it took quite a while but he got it done...good guy and dealership...at the end of the day we both learned allot.
if I can I'll upload a picture of the Ox's.

Just got my Sidewinder back, had an issue with sealing the oil tank...all good now and I have to hand it to the mechanic, he didn't give up...it took quite a while but he got it done...good guy and dealership...at the end of the day we both learned allot.
Thats good to hear. Also good to know your dealer didnt just give up, sweep it under the rug or call it good.
did they say what was the final cure?

Ok, so we're on our annual guys trip ( about 12 of us) and i'm stopped waiting for the group on a straight when 2 sleds whip by and i think the guy in the lead is from our group so i pull out and pursue. The sled in the lead is out in front a bit and there's a lot of snow dust and I'm still convinced he's from our group, but now second guessing the guy in front of me is part of the gang so he get's tired of me being on his tail and let's me pass. I go by and the guy in front is absolutely laboring as i am just standing and leaning in cruise mode as he turns and looks and notices I'm not his riding buddy. So he decides to kick it up a notch and starts to push while i ride his tail in a more aggressive spanned standing stance right behind him and call it stupidity or old age, i still swear it's somebody from our group or i wouldn't have chased. Next straight he really let's her fly and i'm right there behind him until he blows straight through the turn and i am slapping my leg laughing historically and pointing to him as i'm rounding the turn with ease. It wasn't until i was waiting on the next straight I realized that it wasn't one of the guys in my group when the guy rode by and gave me the thumbs up while he passed. That was just one of many " I love my Winder " moments!

Last edited:
Thats good to hear. Also good to know your dealer didnt just give up, sweep it under the rug or call it good.
did they say what was the final cure?
the fix was using Permatex black, allowing for proper cure and just hand tight on the bolts for 2 hours before full torque. The mechanic had not seen the process like the one to use on these oil tanks...the dealer I used is Yamaha but mostly sell Polaris. The mechanic certainly tried his best, very well spoken and took pictures and sent on to Yamaha warranty...a good advocate.

Back