• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How many vipers with starters going bad?

I'd fight that hard! I honestly would be on the phone with the rep refusing to pay for starter failure, it's not a wear item and the starters going bad are not a rare occurance, it's a faulty part/product, yamaha needs to stand behind this!
I have the same problem. Mine went on the last ride this year. I plan to tear apart very soon and am going to fight with them if they wont cover the cost of the parts.

I think Yamaha really needs to send an engineer or team of engineers to proof the fix and to work with Cat on getting that ridiculous lean popping off idle taken care of as well.

Good luck I am to old for this aggravation, I am sending this kitty back to where it came from. We all buy Yamaha's not to have these issues. My friend bought a 15 Viper SE and just loves the thing even though it won't go over 93 MPH and his 2002 Viper with 10,000 miles on it goes by him like he is standing still. But all things come to an end the last ride it wouldn't start cold. He calls me over I stopped him from crank it over fear of popping back when it does start from the fuel. I cycled the key three times turned the key it fired up and it popped back not bad. The good thing is I didn't here anything else like a grinding noise and it was ok from there on.

My starter has not failed yet but i had the reflash done a few weeks ago and just last weekend i had my first ever starter kickback when starting.
I wanted to cry. I have been one of the lucky ones that has been fortunate enough to experience every farging issue this sled could possibly have.
So far my list is.
Severe Hot and cold start issue
Multiple codes thrown on start up
1 cold no start issue
Swaybar rubbing body panel.
Antifreeze leaks in multiple areas/hoses
Improper deburring of the thermostat housing that had me chasing a leak for a month.
Casting flash in my secondary causing drag.
Broken chaincase tab
Dealer repaired the chaincase and did not seal it properly. I had no idea and i rode it and found that Oil leaked all over my sled, bibs, and brand new hmk voyager boots. Ugh
While fixing the dealers mess i see i now have a giant bulge in my muffler. After seeing picts of other blown out mufflers it appears this is exactly what is happening to mine.
Now this starter kick back thing. Anyone want to bet my starter shits the bed?
WTF thank god for extended warranties. LOL

I think Yamaha really needs to send an engineer or team of engineers to proof the fix and to work with Cat on getting that ridiculous lean popping off idle taken care of as well.
Or maybe just bite the friggin bullet and put an end to all this fuel mapping nonsense and hand over the nytro fuel mapping to cat and be done with this once and for all.

Or maybe just bite the friggin bullet and put an end to all this fuel mapping nonsense and hand over the nytro fuel mapping to cat and be done with this once and for all.

If only it was that easy! With everything being cat but the motor the Nytro mapping just does not plug in.

2700 miles on mine, no trace at all of any starter issue until today. Started sled to load on my trailer, made a little grind and started up. Went to take it off the trailer, ground a little more then started. Once I got it in my garage I tried once more and just grinding. Talked with dealer, they've had a few already, it's all covered, but still doesn't set very well with me. I'm actually more baffled that it happened now and all of the sudden. I can see if it was new and had another issue that contributed to it, or if it had a ton of miles. But 2700 I'd say is pretty average.
My starter went at 2400 miles. Warranted but when will it happen again? Several potential reasons could be. Dealer said Yamaha is working on the problem.

Now, when I start the engine, I turn the key and I don't release it until the engine fire up and run. Just to avoid the kick back...
That is what I did and I blew the starter.

do the zr7000's have the kick back/busted starter issues?

do the zr7000's have the kick back/busted starter issues?
Yup. When mine went I went all around my area within 200km radius cat and yamaha. No Starters. I ended up getting everything out of a smashed nitro and on the trails again. I was only down for a week.

I see some guys are saying that the motor needs to be pulled if teeth are broke off the starter so that the base pan can be taken off to get the teeth out.
Is this true?

Back