• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How many vipers with starters going bad?

In the Cat forums they are talking about 7000 Cats with starter failures. It is being blamed on the ECU. Yami built a ton of Ventures, vectors and Nytros hardly a peep about stater failure or backfires in over ten years of sleds with that motor. This is a new issue!

All Yami sleds can have a stuck starter and is why the starter saver was designed. Simple light that alerts you to a starter stuck on! Not related to this issue!

hmmm.... ok. But explain please what happens on this system with a one way bearing when you rapidly accelerate and decelerate with the starter locked in? As in what would be the point of failure trying to stop that armature from spinning down on deceleration as the one way bearing engages on overrun? The system is not designed to brake the speed of a spinning starter so what gives? My guess is the part that is the weakest, that would be the small gear in my opinion. But as we are all just guessing I guess you can count this as only that....a guess.

No but you think we should?? both my viper and wife's zr never had any starting issues what so ever!!

Unless the reflash was done at purchase but I was never made aware of it!

I would hold off until they find out what's going on. I had mine re-flashed and after that started getting kick-backs.

I agree problem is re flash , it start the weird idle ,stalling,kickback ???

Yes, I have the PC5 on my sled and right after the re-flash, I noticed the "stumble" upon engagement rpm (2,600-3,200). It would pop and backfire like a drag sled on the 2-step.

Then I noticed the kick-back every now an then.....but I never had it stall on me. Idle seemed ok, but after richening the PC5 at 2,700-3,250 the sled engages better and smoother again, but still has the kick-back.

My local dealer has had 3 which works out to about 3% in 2 years. But since this motor came out in Venture, Vector and Nytro 0% in more than 4X the units.

hmmm.... ok. But explain please what happens on this system with a one way bearing when you rapidly accelerate and decelerate with the starter locked in? As in what would be the point of failure trying to stop that armature from spinning down on deceleration as the one way bearing engages on overrun? The system is not designed to brake the speed of a spinning starter so what gives? My guess is the part that is the weakest, that would be the small gear in my opinion. But as we are all just guessing I guess you can count this as only that....a guess.

Starter only spins motor at about 800 RPM. If motor is turning faster than that the one way is not allowing the starter to engage the engine. Normally our engines never go below 800 rpm when running so its not a issue to engine or oneway itself. When you see a starter that the Solenoid or Relay as they call it sticks its burned,stinky and obviously got very hot which can also cause the magnets to be destroyed. Thats from running for a long time. The problem is on a kickback the oneway doesnt release fast enough. A kickback is a instant thing. No safety for that.

Starter only spins motor at about 800 RPM. If motor is turning faster than that the one way is not allowing the starter to engage the engine. Normally our engines never go below 800 rpm when running so its not a issue to engine or oneway itself. When you see a starter that the Solenoid or Relay as they call it sticks its burned,stinky and obviously got very hot which can also cause the magnets to be destroyed. Thats from running for a long time. The problem is on a kickback the oneway doesnt release fast enough. A kickback is a instant thing. No safety for that.

Yes if the engine is above 800 rpm the one way bearing should not be engaged. But in a quick deceleration you can make the sprag catch for just a second, saw this quite a bit on the Yamaha Virago motorcycles which had a very similar starter setup. Interesting that the starter was the only weak spot on the Virago...... If the sprag catches for a second and only has to turn that gear it is not a big issue but imagine if the starter is still engaged? Once again we are still guessing until the actual issue is found.

Talking to yamaha rep today new re flash comin for this issue. They figure ECU related.

Well February 28th the sled went down. Just got it back today. Just in time for summer.

I posted a question on Yamaha sled talk.

Question:
Chris Is there any news on a re-flash on the viper to address the kick back on the starter.
Also have this been address on 2016 models.

Answer:
Hey Allan, I know this is at the top of the list to be addressed and there is a lot of work going on in the background. I have not had an update recently but am most confident there will be counter-measures made available for effected units and applied to 2016 production which is not due to commence for another few months. Stay tuned. cr

So let hope this well be fixed for the upcoming year.

Mine just got fixed and dealer advised me not to start it there is a new flash on the way. I hate this always ride yamaha for its reliability and this sled has the best fun factor of all. Hopefully they get it right this time !!!

My starter just kicked the bucket, and the sled is out of warranty.

Back