• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How many vipers with starters going bad?

Yes, first start of the day, first turn of the key, a loud bang that either caused the engine rotation to stop or perhaps the bang caused me to release the key. Not sure which one. The second start the starter made a lot of noise but the engine fired. All 15-20 starts after the second start the starter sounded quieter than before the Big Bang.

The sleds are kept in a heated garage normally about 42-46 degrees but occasionally 52 degrees if I'm working on something.

Mine did the same thing, A loud bang and kick back and then I had about 15-20 starts after that before it was done. I know that Shagman's starter failed pretty much the same way so the good news is most of us will have some warning so you don't get left stranded on the trail.

Note: No Yamaha's in our group had to be towed home this season but one Doo did.

Any 16 Vipers with a broken starter so far?

Was it a "Kickback" that started it?
Well after discussions with "the yamahaguys" it appears that 3 of the 4 starter failures at our dealership got 15-20 starts after the Big Bang event. The fourth starter could have failed in a similar fashion but neither Mark or I know the history of that starter.

Lets hope they have figured out the problem then. I assume they use 16 parts when changing starters? Then the problem will eventually go away?.
I believe that until they fix the "kick back" or "backfire" that they will not be able to keep the starters from failing. The starter failure is actually just a symptom of the real problem which is the Engine Control Unit (ECU) programming and possibly complicated by sensor variability in the information they provides to the ECU. If they can fix that they will probably never replace another starter. That's just my opinion, but it is based on a bit of experience.

I was bitching about how unreliable this sled was at the dealer, and I get the standard "well it's really not a Yamaha snowmobile, it's an Arctic Cat." I snapped and said WTF does it say on the side of it?
The friggin gear is part of the "Yamaha" motor, isn't it?
Stop talking stupid!

Even if the sled is a Cat the dealer sold it as a Yamaha. Yamaha endorsed it and put their name on it. Dealer does not sound like he wants to sell the sleds Yamaha gives him and does not like the money he gets from them. I walked away from a dealer with a poor attitude towards his customers and bought 80 miles away. That dealer no longer sells Yamaha's, Ironically he still sells Cats however.

I decided to change out the starter idler gear this summer as a precaution since there is now an updated part. I have the mad cover off and took a few pictures to show you what it looks like in there. My gears are still prestine and hope to keep it that way. My gear is the old style in my 2015 7000. I did a few tests by rocking the clutch over. When the engine turns backwards even a little bit, the starter is forced to run very fast backwards. If the engine rolls backward after releasing the key and the starter is re-engaged, this will probably break the gear. When ever the engine is stopped, there is always a chance of rolling backward from compression. I always wait for everything to stop before trying the starter again, and always hold it until the engine is running. I will post more pictures when get the gear and put it back together. This is not at all hard to do. To remove the gear, simply pull the hollow shaft out and wiggle the gear down and out.

IMG_4702.JPG

IMG_4706.JPG

IMG_4707.JPG

IMG_4708.JPG

BP

Well done. I have the new gear also but just couldn't bring myself to change it since Yamaha has not said whether the new gear is any better than the original in my motor with 8000mi on it. To be honest I have lost some trust in Yamaha and it's mostly because they have officially said nothing about this issue or whether the new gear is better. I suspect you made the right move and the new gear is to proper spec unlike some of the old part no. Just wish Yamaha would say so.

Well done. I have the new gear also but just couldn't bring myself to change it since Yamaha has not said whether the new gear is any better than the original in my motor with 8000mi on it. To be honest I have lost some trust in Yamaha and it's mostly because they have officially said nothing about this issue or whether the new gear is better. I suspect you made the right move and the new gear is to proper spec unlike some of the old part no. Just wish Yamaha would say so.

When addressing "yamaha" about issues such as this, who does one contact? Are you asking the dealer, or someone at yamaha?

Any updates on a new flash?

When addressing "yamaha" about issues such as this, who does one contact? Are you asking the dealer, or someone at yamaha?

Any updates on a new flash?
Dealer and YDS. Looking to see a Tech Bulletin ideally. They used to do that. Haven't heard or seen a new flash either.

Dealer and YDS. Looking to see a Tech Bulletin ideally. They used to do that. Haven't heard or seen a new flash either.

Thats why i gave up hope. I just dont believe a reflash is going to happen.
Hot and cold start issues on my 14 viper never actually caused enough of an issue to leave me stranded.
It always eventually started.
it was just totally humiliating while it was happening.

The reflash from cat/yamaha caused erratic idle and backfires/kickbacks that eventually blew a hole in my muffler and could have seriously damaged my sled had i not noticed it.
In my opinion,Cat and yamaha blew it twice on this ecu programming.
I figured i would give evo a chance with a reflash, plus the raised rev limiter should make this sled a little easier to clutch.

i dont understand why yamaha has not thrown in the towel and stepped up to the plate and handed over the fuel mapping for the nytro to arctic cat and straighten this mess out once and for all.
Its a complete $hit show and the fact that i had to dig $500 out of my pocket to fix it is just wrong wrong wrong!!

Hot and cold start issues on my 14 viper never actually caused enough of an issue to leave me stranded.

The reflash from cat/yamaha caused erratic idle and backfires/kickbacks that eventually blew a hole in my muffler and could have seriously damaged my sled had i not noticed it.
I figured i would give evo a chance with a reflash, plus the raised rev limiter should make this sled a little easier to clutch.

i dont understand why yamaha has not thrown in the towel and stepped up to the plate and handed over the fuel mapping for the nytro to arctic cat and straighten this mess out once and for all.
Its a complete $hit show and the fact that i had to dig $500 out of my pocket to fix it is just wrong wrong wrong!!

Agreed!

My '15 Viper runs so bad, it fouls plugs with barely a warning and leaves me stranded in the woods because of it. It has erratic idle & starting and obviously a bad enough tune to kill plugs. As it sits, it is completely unreliable. I can't wait for the day it takes out the starter. It sat for a month at a dealer last winter, in the middle of the season, trying to get this "tune" resolved. The dealer got nowhere with Yamaha except "there's a re-flash coming". So it is obvious- Yamaha realizes there's still an issue.

This coming season will be 4 model years for the Viper. If Yamaha were going to do something about it; I believe it would have been done by now. Seriously, 4 years? In my book they're a bunch of liars and can stick that in their PRIDE pipe and smoke it.

Agreed; "$hit show" pretty much sums it up. But I'll add this; if I have to spend $500 of my hard earned cash, to fix a factory "engine-running" issue; it will be the last unit I'll purchase from that factory.

I realize this site is based on positive input to help other Yamaha owners, but; there is plainly nothing positive about this subject-

My '15 Viper runs so bad, it fouls plugs with barely a warning and leaves me stranded in the woods because of it. It has erratic idle & starting and obviously a bad enough tune to kill plugs. As it sits, it is completely unreliable. I can't wait for the day it takes out the starter. It sat for a month at a dealer last winter, in the middle of the season, trying to get this "tune" resolved. The dealer got nowhere with Yamaha except "there's a re-flash coming". So it is obvious- Yamaha realizes there's still an issue.

This coming season will be 4 model years for the Viper. If Yamaha were going to do something about it; I believe it would have been done by now. Seriously, 4 years? In my book they're a bunch of liars and can stick that in their PRIDE pipe and smoke it.

Agreed; "$hit show" pretty much sums it up. But I'll add this; if I have to spend $500 of my hard earned cash, to fix a factory "engine-running" issue; it will be the last unit I'll purchase from that factory.

I realize this site is based on positive input to help other Yamaha owners, but; there is plainly nothing positive about this subject-

Sure, could not agree with you more.
For me, i invested the money because i intend to put 15000-20000 miles on this sled before i even consider a new one so i should have it for a while. Dont get me wrong, im pissed that i had to spend it, but $500 to make it right made more sense for me than trading or selling.
The way i am justifying it to myself is the $500 was spent on performance, to raise revlimiter for easier clutching. And gain some HP!!
The improved starting and ideling was just a bonus that came along with it, lol!
I have an apex with 14000+ miles on it. I flat out refuse to sell or trade the sled, I absolutely love it, but it breaks my back every time i ride it.
The viper seating position/ergonomics are absolutely perfect for me.
200 mile days are easy with this sled and besides the issues, i do like the sled a lot
Unlike you, my biggest gripes have been performance related vs problem related.

Really sorry to hear how bad yours is but i can honestly say life is too short and we all have enough problems in our lives
If my issues were as severe as you descrive yours to be, i would sell, or trade it for something else.
Good luck with it.

Back