• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hurricane Performance header install question

With mine it was no problem getting the turbo end to clamp with the header flange loose just over the studs. It was tipped so the clutch side was much further away yet still over the studs. It was necessary to make some clearance on the strut up to the steering post with...(clear throat) a grinder, but to be honest it didn't nearly weaken that strut anymore than the gouge that the stock clamp had left behind!
20201023_204116.jpg

With mine it was no problem getting the turbo end to clamp with the header flange loose just over the studs. It was tipped so the clutch side was much further away yet still over the studs. It was necessary to make some clearance on the strut up to the steering post with...(clear throat) a grinder, but to be honest it didn't nearly weaken that strut anymore than the gouge that the stock clamp had left behind! View attachment 156905
If you get ahold of dave he has modified supports for clearance instead of grinding out a chunk!!!

Check out the Hurricane header I received. Dented, brackets misaligned, flat flange still has rolled edge on it from drilling, pipes half finished, pipes not even in the flange.
I sure hope I dont have to buy a different steering support.
Must have slipped thru some how...

38043.jpeg
38046.jpeg
38050.jpeg
38052.jpeg
38055.jpeg

Last edited:
Not the quality I would expect from a
WORLD CLASS SNOWMOBILE RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT FACILITY.

With mine it was no problem getting the turbo end to clamp with the header flange loose just over the studs. It was tipped so the clutch side was much further away yet still over the studs. It was necessary to make some clearance on the strut up to the steering post with...(clear throat) a grinder, but to be honest it didn't nearly weaken that strut anymore than the gouge that the stock clamp had left behind! View attachment 156905

Looking at other header manufacturers and their header goes around that piece.

My heat shields showed up today. Finished my header install. I didnt have to grind down the steering support. I removed it and put a slight bend in it then reinstalled and the header clears it fine.
Dave also sent a t shirt, hat and ski doo adaptor cord for my time deburing my header.
Thanks

Is that the new updated header or the original?

My header is an original header that they update to the more clearance header. So it's the new one. That is why one pipe is not finished like the rest of the header.
I spoke with Dave and that is what he is doing.
He said the difference in price is he has to pay a professional to cut the header apart and weld it up with the updated pipes.

My header is an original header that they update to the more clearance header. So it's the new one. That is why one pipe is not finished like the rest of the header.
I spoke with Dave and that is what he is doing.
He said the difference in price is he has to pay a professional to cut the header apart and weld it up with the updated pipes.

How is that your problem? They were burning down sleds, now you have to pay to have it fixed? In the real world that’s a recall, and it’s done for free.

How is that your problem? They were burning down sleds, now you have to pay to have it fixed? In the real world that’s a recall, and it’s done for free.

If you go on their website they list two different headers and thats the difference between them.
I bought the updated header for clearance.

I bought the updated header as well. Did that additional heat shield come with yours?

I bought the updated header as well. Did that additional heat shield come with yours?

I called Dave and he sent it to me. He said it's supposed to come with the header. Plus another smaller one for the coolant hoses.

Sounds like your install doesn't use a modified stock heat shield?
I think you have a couple options.
1. I would definitely re-insulate the gas tank with Thermo-Tec adhesive backed reflective shielding (https://www.thermotec.com/products/heat-shields-and-protection/adhesive-backed-heat-barrier). I posted a few pics to show you how I did mine. From day 1 I always felt the stock insulation was poor and inadequate resulting in the tank getting hot and also heating up the fuel inside the tank so I re-did mine insulating the tank all the way across the tank from edge to edge with much better insulation.
2. Tommcat Performance sells some very good high quality heat insulating blankets for the 998 and specifically to fit over headers (https://shop.tommcatperformance.com/products/998-header-blanket-kit). He also has one to cover the turbo itself too which would allow you to not use that stock one that covers the intermediate one. I think they would be a very wise investment in your case. Can you imagine what happens if the tank melts?!!!! Catastrophic and very dangerous!
Yes very good info,and thanks for the link to there site,cheap insurance.

Back