• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Interesting clutch stuff, Viper clutches & floating secondary

How does throttle response compare? Did you find the throttle getting lazy with heavy weights?

Response seems the same as the winders roller secondary, perhaps a wee bit lazier if anything, but I'll give the belt a bit more time on it, plus the warm temps were not helping response either. I thought about tightening the driven to 90 deg, but I'm just going to leave well enough alone for now and let the weather cool and belt settle in I think.

I was up to a Cutler Silver/White in the winders roller secondary, which is a mongo spring, so it had a ton of backshift, and it worked well with the 8DN when cold, but not when it warmed up at all. The setup I have in it now seems much quicker and faster. I can not keep the skis down on it at all and traction is not even close to hooking up. It's trucking hard and running like it should.

Wow just awesome Mike....

Hearing this, using the lighter setup similar to Apex days, and then to see the resulting COOLER clutches is reminding me of my Apex amazing clutches and belt life!

Imagine if the damn issue all along has been these Winder clutches!

What I would love to see you try Mike, is the Apex/Rx Primary along with the Winder roller secondary, Im wonder if the heat would come right back? Im guessing probably yes.

Keep up the incredible work here...posts like this should be watched by YAMAHA if they even care about snowmobiles anymore!

Dan

Hearing this, using the lighter setup similar to Apex days, and then to see the resulting COOLER clutches is reminding me of my Apex amazing clutches and belt life!

What I would love to see you try Mike, is the Apex/Rx Primary along with the Winder roller secondary, Im wonder if the heat would come right back? Im guessing probably yes.

Keep up the incredible work here...posts like this should be watched by YAMAHA if they even care about snowmobiles anymore!

Dan

i agree Dan... i am very intrigued by this and thankful for the work Mike is doing!

Keep us posted Mike, thanks again!

Dan

Agreed!
This thread is telling us a lot about yamaha Roller and what’s going on with many machines. I’m anxious to see the results! I will say I hope mike goes back to the 8dn so we have an Apple to Apple comparison. Sounds like the good ole button secondary is gonna haul the mail.
;)!

Agreed!
This thread is telling us a lot about yamaha Roller and what’s going on with many machines. I’m anxious to see the results! I will say I hope mike goes back to the 8dn so we have an Apple to Apple comparison. Sounds like the good ole button secondary is gonna haul the mail.
;)!
I would bet the 8JP would live with this setup alot longer, and for that matter why not the 8DN? I know its a tad long though.

What I do love about the XS belts are how clean they run compared to all other belts i've run.

Dan

You guys have me curious. I have a 2012 vector with only 1500 miles on it. Wondering if I have the necessary parts on hand to swap the clutches between the vector and the SW and still make the vector run decent. It's just the GFs sled so she's not aggressive at all. At least to try it out for a trip.

You guys have me curious. I have a 2012 vector with only 1500 miles on it. Wondering if I have the necessary parts on hand to swap the clutches between the vector and the SW and still make the vector run decent. It's just the GFs sled so she's not aggressive at all. At least to try it out for a trip.
Secondary won't fit.

Great job Mike!
This is great to hear. All the off trail riding I do. There is hope I'll be able the use more than half throttle and not roast rollers and belt.
Thanks

so its the viper secondary that fits not the apex correct? and the apex primary?

Mike great news,like hearing the 825 belts works,but it does need lighter ramps,thats doable too.

When you guys switch between 8dn and xs 825 belt. How many grams did you guys take per ramp to set rpm

When you guys switch between 8dn and xs 825 belt. How many grams did you guys take per ramp to set rpm
The XS825. Seems to be a belt that grabs a bit more then the others you mention. I would bet it will drop your RPM around 250 -350. A lot of variables with clutching but your just going to have to test and see.

The XS825. Seems to be a belt that grabs a bit more then the others you mention. I would bet it will drop your RPM around 250 -350. A lot of variables with clutching but your just
The XS825. Seems to be a belt that grabs a bit more then the others you mention. I would bet it will drop your RPM around 250 -350. A lot of variables with clutching but your just going to have to test and see.
going to have to test and see.

XS will drop rpm by 5-600. Drop 4 grams and test.

Back