• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Joined the yamacat winder crew today

thanks for the info on fowling plugs, I had no clue this happens so I will let the sled come up to temp once started.
STGDZ, if you don't have a pair of scratchers you might want to put them on, it helped my sled from overheating tremendously...it's a sinking feeling when the engine starts to act up on the trail. Joe
Mine has been in limp mode 3 times, the other day when an rx1 and apex both flashed heat lights. Going slow in an icy woods, very cold, dry snow. Some loose snow cools it in seconds back to 168..170, or..pick up speed and the stutter stops...the track acts as a fan on the bulkhead exchanger. And when stopped, the temp rises over 200, so warm your gloves or face mask on the vents in front if the bars. These sleds do not like to fart around much..they want to run!!!
And once started, warm it up to 160ish. My son started it the other day, shut it down, and it took 5 trys to restart. Once warm, no problem.

I think I have a bad battery, what should normal voltage be at startup?

Also, cruised the lake today with the kids and stayed below 180. Lots of snow on the lake though.

Last edited:

Also, cruised the lake today with the kids and stayed below 180. Lots of snow on the lake though.
When you turn the key on, the lights light, things buzz, etc. and mine shows 11 something. But checking it with a voltmeter its fine..12.6 or so. The pod reading is showing it as current is being drawn,with the key on, not running. Check it with a meter and check your voltage running..itll be 14 something running.

yeah it was about 11 but walked away without starting and came back a few mins later and it was down to about 9.5.

I was a cold start but I couldn't get it started and put it on the charger for about 20mins, it started and was fine for the rest of the day.

Best to replace it instead of taking a chance. Im not impressed with all the gadgetry that can fail, or so much of the crap made today. I have an 03 ram cummins and had a loose battery cable,figured they were dead.. so bought 2 new batteries. The batteries said Daimler Chrysler, date 2002....original!!!!! Still starting the truck, 19 years later. I kept them..still 12.6 volts, use for starting dead crap! New stuff just doesnt last.

I would suspect the system needs another (better?) effort with bleeding. It could be just a need for scratchers but 175-185 is not normal and is too hot. Normal operating temps should stay close to 167 to 170.

IMO, cruising around a lake it should stay close to 168, unless lake is rock hard with no loose snow.

IMO, cruising around a lake it should stay close to 168, unless lake is rock hard with no loose snow.
I 100% agree, there is air in your system. I run 168-170 normal riding. It may bump up to 174 at a stop sign waiting. All this with no scratchers down even in less than ideal conditions.

IMO, there's air in your system.
I'm pretty sure rhe 998 thermostat is same since day 1. It opens at 167F.
Unless you're riding on practically bare ice, normal coolant temp is 165 to 170. If you're sitting idling waiting (which we 998 guys have to do allot) it will creep up to 174-178. I often just shut it off cuz I'm way ahead of next sled. Lol. Don't want to idle 10 minutes waiting for group to catch up.

IMO, there's air in your system.
I'm pretty sure rhe 998 thermostat is same since day 1. It opens at 167F.
Unless you're riding on practically bare ice, normal coolant temp is 165 to 170. If you're sitting idling waiting (which we 998 guys have to do allot) it will creep up to 174-178. I often just shut it off cuz I'm way ahead of next sled. Lol. Don't want to idle 10 minutes waiting for group to catch up.
Especially a Mack Z powered by Kotax!

150 mile update

So I have taken this thing out a bunch of times now, with the kids and some group rides. The temp stays fairly normal but I do think there is a bit of air in it somewhere. I have a hill on my lot that I'm going to take it on and I have turboflash's bleeding procedure somewhere. Playing around with the kids on the lake yesterday it did seem to stay in the "normal range", it would spike to the 200's when turning it off and leaving it for a bit. But running it around it would drop back down to normal fairly quickly. Trail rides have been pretty normal for temp and if it gets warm I drop a boot.

I got some long #*$&@ scratchers, 12" and I'm trying to figure out where to mount them. I have mocked it up twice now and it looks like the cable will be hitting the snow even when its up. I'm thinking about getting the ibex scratchers and rail mount them

A new problem is the hyfax I took off unfortunately still had a bit of life left in it but I'm playing it safe. The new cat dealer hyfax I got will not butt up against the rail tip. The bottom green is the one I got off the sled, the middle is some garland from denniskirk, and the top is the dealer green. I really want to run the green as it has a nice contrast but again there will be a gap between the rail tip and the hyfax. Yeah I could turn it around and redrill the hole but I just want it to work from the dealer.

Image.jpeg

I'm also going to look at the rear suspension soon, there is a pile of ski pressure and it gets to the point where I have to muscle it around. There is about an inch of thread showing on the front track shock and I think the straps are all the way out. I'm going to lift the rear of the sled up and down a few times and see if the skid touches at the same time. The kids zr 4000 rr can be steered with one hand but it also weighs less.

Last edited:
Totally normal to spike 200+ after sitting even for a few min hot but should come back down to normal range less than 10 seconds after restart.

I'm going to look at the rear suspension soon, there is a pile of ski pressure and it gets to the point where I have to muscle it around. There is about an inch of thread showing on the front track shock and I think the straps are all the way out. I'm going to lift the rear of the sled up and down a few times and see if the skid touches at the same time. The kids zr 4000 rr can be steered with one hand but it also weighs less.

The clutches also seem to run warm, I know its team clutches but these are pretty warm, but when just tooling around at 5-10mph from a stop I can smell rubber (more than I normally would).

Back