• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Winder crashed

Well Beerman, thank god that your ego is probably hurting more then you are.

What you described happens to all of us, and me for sure, in milder forms during the riding season many times.

Those unforeseen obstacles/bumps are very hard to see in different day light and snow conditions!

If totaled, what model next?
Or is it too soon to ask?

Last edited:

This sounds just like my past weekend, but I wasn't hurt. I had the Apex all cleaned up and put away for the season too. We got a foot of snow from that same storm and buddy called me wanting to ride. 60 miles in, boom! I hit a culvert buried in the snow. Sled went left, I went right. Luckily I just grazed it instead of sticking one ski in the damn thing. Bent up both A-Arms and spindle on the right side, but thankfully didn't damage the bulkhead. Henseljg2 sent my parts out and I should have them today or tomorrow. Great guy to deal with. Damn Iowa ditch banging at its finest!

Glad your ok.. that ditch riding is a bitch.. all kinds of #*$&@ hiding in them.

My ego was/is so bruised I didn't want to talk about it at first. My buddy leading had a go pro and sent me the file as he turned around and came back to me lying on the ground and the sled on its side. I don't have the stomach to watch the whole thing.

The sled is at a Dranttel's and Nick did a very thorough job estimating the repair and helped me by removing some of the remaining after-market parts I didn't have time to take off. The tunnel is twisted bad, bent steering post, handlebars are basically gone, hood is destroyed and one ski is out further than the other with no obvious reason why, so I'm expecting to hear today or tomorrow that insurance will total it. I can't find a left over RTX but there are a few good deals on LTX's so I'll likely be starting over with a 137".

We’ll Beerman, thank god that your ego is probably hurting more then you are.

What you described happens to all of us, and me for sure, in milder forms during the riding season many times.

Those unforeseen obstacles/bumps are very hard to see in different day light and snow conditions!

If totaled, what model next?
Or is it too soon to ask?
I didn't want to think about it until Tuesday (crash happened Friday) - will likely be a '17 LTX SE, some pretty good deals on left overs right now with the Yamaha cash incentives. It'll be another full-on project, stock sucks.

Glad to hear all of your are OK! Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago where I just lost focus and hit a tree. Never crashed in 30 years of riding. Hopefully wont for another 30! Everywhere I didn't have the Tek vest my body looked like it was trampled by a elephant. Happens to the best of us for sure! Last weekend in the new 17" of snow I took it very careful with the new SW breaking it in AND looking for hidden land mines!

I didn't want to think about it until Tuesday (crash happened Friday) - will likely be a '17 LTX SE, some pretty good deals on left overs right now with the Yamaha cash incentives. It'll be another full-on project, stock sucks.

Nice to hear that you are indeed looking towards the future with another sled purchase and mods.

Have wrecked many in my lifetime, so do not feel alone.

Yeah get back up there and in that saddle.
That’s the spirit.

What an "icky" post.
We have 4 broken sleds, 2 possibly totaled, 4 damaged ego's & 1 spleen!

The bodies will heal.
The sleds will get repaired or new ones.
The EGO's get fixed here on TY!

Talking about it & realizing you're not the only one is therapeutic.
MrSled doesn't even charge for this.........well sort of

What an "icky" post.
We have 4 broken sleds, 2 possibly totaled, 4 damaged ego's & 1 spleen!

The bodies will heal.
The sleds will get repaired or new ones.
The EGO's get fixed here on TY!

Talking about it & realizing you're not the only one is therapeutic.

MrSled doesn't even charge for this.........well sort of

And 3 out of the 4 are from Iowa. Yes, we do know how to ride down here. Just wish we had the snow and and trail system like the U.P.!

Speedy recovery
just like a bike when you fall you got to get back on ——fear follows the weak
——courage makes us men

All the best !!

This sounds just like my past weekend, but I wasn't hurt. I had the Apex all cleaned up and put away for the season too. We got a foot of snow from that same storm and buddy called me wanting to ride. 60 miles in, boom! I hit a culvert buried in the snow. Sled went left, I went right. Luckily I just grazed it instead of sticking one ski in the damn thing. Bent up both A-Arms and spindle on the right side, but thankfully didn't damage the bulkhead. Henseljg2 sent my parts out and I should have them today or tomorrow. Great guy to deal with. Damn Iowa ditch banging at its finest!
Yep my IA riding days are over! It about killed me once and I won't try for another chance. I used to have an older ditch banging sled but I still would have been hurt so time to stop. I usually ride in the UP or northern WI on marked trails. Just too many hidden items around here. Im in Anamosa by the way , my accident was right on 151.

Are you repairing the unit or insurance claim?
I'm taking it to a dealer for an estimate and go from there. If it gets over $1,000 I will let insurance handle it. I can't lift or pull on wrenches for 8 weeks so I will let them go over everything.

I'm taking it to a dealer for an estimate and go from there. If it gets over $1,000 I will let insurance handle it. I can't lift or pull on wrenches for 8 weeks so I will let them go over everything.

Yeah it can be a tough sport whether self inflicted or inflicted by others.

I have a passion for the adrenaline of the speed and air time that can be had with this sport. But I do so only in the right spots and riding on the BIG trails provide me with plenty of those wanted opportunities. Don’t get me wrong, when it comes to twisty narrow trails, I make sure to stay on my side and watch out for the many oncoming that do not. Many times this season, I have stopped or slowed to a crawl because a sharp corner had oncoming riders on my side cutting the corner, and the ones following are doing the exact same.

Moral to that story: It would have been way worse if others were involved in your crash.

I have wrecked many many sleds over my life time, but it was always just me involved. Some were caused by others that kept on going, but I can say that I have never harmed or involved another in my search for that adrenaline rush!!

Here is wishing you a 100% recovery!!
#*$&@ happens fast huh!

My ego was/is so bruised I didn't want to talk about it at first. My buddy leading had a go pro and sent me the file as he turned around and came back to me lying on the ground and the sled on its side. I don't have the stomach to watch the whole thing.

The sled is at a Dranttel's and Nick did a very thorough job estimating the repair and helped me by removing some of the remaining after-market parts I didn't have time to take off. The tunnel is twisted bad, bent steering post, handlebars are basically gone, hood is destroyed and one ski is out further than the other with no obvious reason why, so I'm expecting to hear today or tomorrow that insurance will total it. I can't find a left over RTX but there are a few good deals on LTX's so I'll likely be starting over with a 137".
Glad your OK. Just another reinforcement to always wear my Tek Vest.

WHEW!
Good to hear you're OK!

I've been wearing Fox Tekvest for 6 years now. When i take my jacket off at stops, people look at me funny & some ask "do you really need that?"
I say "I don't need it........until i need it"

I posted how i was behind someone this year that crashed real bad. He broke 7 ribs & his Scapula. The doctor looked at me in my vest & said flat out "that would have helped"

Here is what i wear. The FOX motocross vest has a back "armadillo" support & a kidney/back support belt.
That is not a Hans device but should help as a neck support. I have never actually seen a snowmobile helmet that was Hans compatible. Do they even make one?

Back