• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Knockout kit

Have a report back from the clutch I recently rebuilt and added the knockout. After 600kms in Quebec he reports back that the clutch is very quiet. He's happy as he was surprised at how noisy the clutch was before this.
I know 600 isn't a lot yet, but so far so good.
So what is the secret installation tip? My rattle came back and I will tear it down to see the results next week.

So what is the secret installation tip? My rattle came back and I will tear it down to see the results next week.
Clean both surfaces extremely clean and use a liberal amount of high strength loctite on both surfaces. Let cure. Use every bit of the grease that comes in the kit

Last edited:
Ok, I have an issue now, the collar is stuck on the crankshaft! I pulled my Stub shaft assembly off as I was doing maintenance to see how it faired and ring stayed on the crank. I have tried to use some small L- shape precision screw drivers and can’t get it out.

Suggestions!?
Or do I just put the stub shaft assembly back on it and it will pull itself back on the collar?

FYI there was no grease left inside splines so not sure this did anything at al. If anything my clutch has been louder. Still not crazy loud since I have a cat to begin with. Have 4000kms on this setup

Ok, I have an issue now, the collar is stuck on the crankshaft! I pulled my Stub shaft assembly off as I was doing maintenance to see how it faired and ring stayed on the crank. I have tried to use some small L- shape precision screw drivers and can’t get it out.

Suggestions!?
Or do I just put the stub shaft assembly back on it and it will pull itself back on the collar?

FYI there was no grease left inside splines so not sure this did anything at al. If anything my clutch has been louder. Still not crazy loud since I have a cat to begin with. Have 4000kms on this setup
Make sure the surfaces are clean and put a little loctite on. Re-install. Let loctite set set for a few hours then it should come out.

I don’t understand why it would stick to the crankshaft like That especially with all that grease in there. Is the o-ring melting and sticking it to the shaft I’m gonna pull mine apart a see how it’s doing. I only have 40 mi on mine

32 pages of knockout kit discussion :)

I think it can get wedged it migrates too far as I believe there is a taper to the shaft behind. But if you simply put it back together, it will no longer be flush with the end of the stub shaft. I would try to get it out, it can't be that tight, just awkward to get to. You need something that can lock onto it and pull or lightly tapped outwards to knock it loose.

Suggestions!?

Same problem here. Trying to figure out why it only lasted couple hundred miles, before the rattle came back.

32 pages of knockout kit discussion :)

I think it can get wedged it migrates too far as I believe there is a taper to the shaft behind. But if you simply put it back together, it will no longer be flush with the end of the stub shaft. I would try to get it out, it can't be that tight, just awkward to get to. You need something that can lock onto it and pull or lightly tapped outwards to knock it loose.
I tried for a while, such a small cavity since it’s inside the crankshaft bearing. There is no room for anything really, needle nose pliers don’t fit. And I can’t get behind it either. I will try again but may just use the loctie and put it back together

In really tight spots like that I have used the steel support out of a wiper blade. Most wipers have them. You can check as they help keep the wiper tight to the windshield. They are relatively thin and pretty durable as they are some kind of cheap spring steel. I heat up the end with a torch and bend them to shape in a vice.

Another trick I have used is a spring that I had laying around. I think it came from some kind of old door closing mechanism. You can use the spring to thread past whatever it is (collar) and then use the spring as a puller.

Last edited:
I tried for a while, such a small cavity since it’s inside the crankshaft bearing. There is no room for anything really, needle nose pliers don’t fit. And I can’t get behind it either. I will try again but may just use the loctie and put it back together
I wonder if you apply loctite and put it back together and allow the loctite to cure and then when you remove stub shaft the ring would stay in stub shaft

The only thing the "kockout kit" managed to do for me was knock $60 out of my wallet.
It has failed twice.
I will remove it from the crank, again, and put it on my bench to use as a spacer in my press.

Back