• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lightweight driveshaft

I ran the BDX light weight shaft and on mine and it didn’t turn out well. It snapped at launch and made a big mess of the chain case. The tune was a big turbo set at 30 psi with a 7 psi launch, about 425hp. The BDX shaft was their high hp version. When I purchased it, I was told it was good for 500hp. The shaft broke in the first month, I believe it was the third race. Big caution to anyone considering doing this. I totally get wanting to improve drive line efficiency, but this is one area I won’t touch again. One of my build threads had all the details of the failure including pictures.

I ran the BDX light weight shaft and on mine and it didn’t turn out well. It snapped at launch and made a big mess of the chain case. The tune was a big turbo set at 30 psi with a 7 psi launch, about 425hp. The BDX shaft was their high hp version. When I purchased it, I was told it was good for 500hp. The shaft broke in the first month, I believe it was the third race. Big caution to anyone considering doing this. I totally get wanting to improve drive line efficiency, but this is one area I won’t touch again. One of my build threads had all the details of the failure including pictures.
Never seen a steel bdx shaft break, we run it at 500 hp and 40 psi at up to 10 psi and launch on clay. The aluminum shaft bdx made was junk

Never seen a steel bdx shaft break, we run it at 500 hp and 40 psi at up to 10 psi and launch on clay. The aluminum shaft bdx made was junk
Great to hear yours held up. This one sheared off at the chain case bearing. BTW, they said I would get a full refund if I sent them the failed drive shaft. You probably could guess, I sent them the drive shaft and they said it was my fault because I overloaded it with power. To each their own, I looked to other ways to pick up efficiency, focused on rolling resistance.

I sent them the drive shaft and they said it was my fault because I overloaded it with power
I don't like to hear #*$&@ like this.. They are usually pretty reputable in my experience.. I don't have a lot of things from them but have used weights, Y pipe, and a helix that i really like from them. Everything I have used has been perfect.. I did have some ordering issues with them, but nothing to major. Waited a LONG time for product and got the run around from them. Otherwise positive

I’ve installed at least 50 of these shafts on trail and race sleds as replacements for OEM worn shafts and as a shaft for another set of drivers for Race purposes with zero issues. I’m Not replacing good OEM shafts simply to save weight . If u have one of their aluminum shafts remove it ASAP . We did try the aluminum shafts a few years ago but they didn’t take it and BDX replaced them with steel ones at no charge and no questions asked.

Great to hear yours held up. This one sheared off at the chain case bearing. BTW, they said I would get a full refund if I sent them the failed drive shaft. You probably could guess, I sent them the drive shaft and they said it was my fault because I overloaded it with power. To each their own, I looked to other ways to pick up efficiency, focused on rolling resistance.
Ah, the universal generic "escape liability" clause. I despise companies who don't stand behind their products. They make proud statements to sell you their products boasting about how much better your machine will with their stuff on it. Then when it goes bad for you, they tell you it's your fault! Just p#$&&@s me off!

500 hp with a lot of traction......No issues with our BDX replacement shaft...

Attachments

• F1556A7D-E554-425C-94B1-E027F7696689.jpeg
    F1556A7D-E554-425C-94B1-E027F7696689.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 52

Back