• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lightweight driveshaft

WindTime

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 yamaha sidewinder
This offseason i will be checking my driveshaft bearing and assessing what needs to be done. I am wondering if anyone has used the lightweight driveshaft offered by hurricane? for the price it seems like a good option.

so no one has a reply to this? has no one used ? i am wondering if it is a better alternative to stock replacement?

Black diamond extreme, speed shop inc, im sure is the same light wieght drive shaft, since i see dave sells thier light wieght brake rotor.

Only one I've seen was broke in half.
The reduction in weight is a farce, it's a way to sell product. It would take a very accurate and expensive chassis dyno to even be able to discern and claim that the weight reduction actually matters. You need to think about it taking account the weight of the crankshaft, PTO stub, primary & secondary clutches, drive belt, jack shaft, all the rotating parts in chaincase, and biggest of all, a 45 lb track (w studs). So if the "lightweight" drive shaft saves 1 lb, and the engine is turning about 125+ lbs, the reduction is maybe .7%. Imagine how much snow and ice is stuck to your sled? If you're thinking a track shaft that is 1 lighter is going to get you ahead of another similar sled, not so. You'd be better off to take the liner our of your jacket, tip sled on its side and get all ice and snow off it, and take gas tank down to maybe 2 gals to race that sled. Better yet, put a much lighter rider on your sled.

Any rotating weight you can save is a bonus , will u notice a 1lb difference no, but add a brake rotor,14 in track etc etc and it all adds up and u will notice a difference

It seems like someone bought one for their Viper a few years ago and it didn’t work out very well for him. Do a search

It seems like someone bought one for their Viper a few years ago and it didn’t work out very well for him. Do a search
THat was probably the aluminum shaft , stay away from them

Not sure about the durability of a lighter shaft but losing a pound or two on a 600 pound machine does not seem like a good investment.

Any rotating weight you can save is a bonus , will u notice a 1lb difference no, but add a brake rotor,14 in track etc etc and it all adds up and u will notice a difference
Then you’ll go 150 mph, best bet lose 15-20 lbs diet

Not sure about the durability of a lighter shaft but losing a pound or two on a 600 pound machine does not seem like a good investment.
Lol . It all adds up . And the BDX driveshafts are as strong as OEM trust me. Launched many times at 10 lbs of boost at 500 hp and no issues

They have or used to have an aluminum one that ended up being junk but never heard a bad thing about this one. Havent purchased one to confirm but it says drivers are trued up for perfection so thats an added bonus over buying a new oem shaft. Chances are they actually installed them in the right place as well. Ive had 2 winders and now have 2 riots and every one of them I ended up moving a driver over when I had the shaft out as there was always an external tooth rubbing the side of a window while the other side would be dead center. Numerous driver sizes available as well.

Lol . It all adds up . And the BDX driveshafts are as strong as OEM trust me. Launched many times at 10 lbs of boost at 500 hp and no issues
Your right, it does add up. I prefer to skip breakfast and be a pound lighter. It's cheaper and healthier. LOL

Back