• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lost mid to top end power.

He stated in a post that he swap clutches with a sled that runs without issues. So no clutch issue. I believe he has a cylinder down or an exhaust/intake issue.

Try swapping the ECU's between sleds to eliminate that.

He stated in a post that he swap clutches with a sled that runs without issues. So no clutch issue. I believe he has a cylinder down or an exhaust/intake issue.

I missed that . I thought he just looked at his brothers not swapped clutch's

Could something be wrong with the Carb slide springs to the point that its not letting it open up ? I'm not a carb guy at all. but I know that when I installed Holtzman carb springs I picked up some RPM's

Carburetion-Slide-Springs.png

Parking break on ?? I left mine on for 6 miles one time . Stupid I know !!
Haha, the parking brake is not on, lol. And I thought the parking brake or regular break could have been sticking. But nope they are both fine.

Make sure the Air box rubber flanges are all the way on the carbs and not folded over or off. First time I changed my battery I messed up the center flange and folded it over . How ? I have no idea. LOL but it ran like crap ! I straighten it out and the Rpm's came back . Lets hope it's just some bearings and not the motor!
I just cleaned the carb, and made sure I put the boots in place right, and double checked them. So that is not it, lol. I have not checked the jackshaft bearing yet. But with the belt off, the secondary clutch turns freely by hand. So I do not think the bearing is shot. But I could be wrong.

Could something be wrong with the Carb slide springs to the point that its not letting it open up ? I'm not a carb guy at all. but I know that when I installed Holtzman carb springs I picked up some RPM's

Carburetion-Slide-Springs.png
When I let some one else take a look at it, I will mention the springs to them. Thanks for all your input. The only thing I could think of is the guy I bought this sled form 3 years ago, might have changed the gearing? Like if you where to change the gearing , so it would have top end, would you loose 2,000 rpms or more? And I am not even saying he changed it. As at the end of last year, I was loosing power. I do believe that it is all stock. The guy I bought it from, kept it all stock, and same with me.

Would it be idling that good though, and starting that good in the cold? And when I revved it up with no clutch on, it ran smooth like not a thing wrong with the motor. Would it burn oil if it was loosing compression? I did check the oil level and it was perfect. Newbie questions I know, lol. I am going to have a compression test done at some point. Thanks again guys.

You really need to check compression so that can be eliminated. Checking the drive system should be a simple procedure. Rotating the track by hand usually is enough to determine if there's abnormal drag on it.. How tight is the track, did you burn the hyfax?

You really need to check compression so that can be eliminated. Checking the drive system should be a simple procedure. Rotating the track by hand usually is enough to determine if there's abnormal drag on it.. How tight is the track, did you burn the hyfax?
I am going to have a guy I know check the compression. Might be a week or so before I bring it in, I will let you guys know how it goes. When he checks it. The track turns very freely by hand if it is on the jack. And last winter I had on a brand new set of slides, and burned them up at the end of last year ( very mild winter) but did not wear them to the aluminum rails. The old slides from last year would not have made it through this year. It has brand new slides on it this year so that is all good.

Maybe dropping a cylinder due to coil pack leaking voltage. If you have donor sled swap the coil packs and see if any difference.

Another way to find is run the sled in dark and take a spray bottle of water and mist over the valve cover and coil packs. The water will conduct the leaking voltage and you will see arcing between the bad coil pack and the valve cover. Be sure to do this test at higher rpms where you are seeing the problem, and not just at idle.

Maybe dropping a cylinder due to coil pack leaking voltage. If you have donor sled swap the coil packs and see if any difference.

Another way to find is run the sled in dark and take a spray bottle of water and mist over the valve cover and coil packs. The water will conduct the leaking voltage and you will see arcing between the bad coil pack and the valve cover. Be sure to do this test at higher rpms where you are seeing the problem, and not just at idle.
Do you see this happen a lot with these sleds at this much miles?

The gearing makes no sense because you said this problem developed over time last season. If it was a gearing thing the problem would have always existed. I've never seen one of these coils brake down under load and if it did I'd think there would be a noticeable miss at some point. With that said, it still wouldn't hurt to swap, electrical components, fuel pumps and even the carb's with known working components if available.

Do the compression check and when you pull the spark plugs check them for color variations.

The gearing makes no sense because you said this problem developed over time last season. If it was a gearing thing the problem would have always existed. I've never seen one of these coils brake down under load and if it did I'd think there would be a noticeable miss at some point. With that said, it still wouldn't hurt to swap, electrical components, fuel pumps and even the carb's with known working components if available.

Do the compression check and when you pull the spark plugs check them for color variations.
Yes, it did happen over the course of last year. I will do the compression check. But not for a little while. I will let you guys know what I find out, when I find out more. Just am so busy right now to work on it. 2 nights ago I was working on it with a headlamp. As at night time is the only time I have to work on it. lol

Back