• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lost mid to top end power.

:yam::4STroke:Found out the problem!!!! Swapped carbs, and fixed the sled. So some thing is plugged where I can't see it. Or messed up some where. Anyways no need to do the compression test, or any thing else. Put the sled up on the jack, and it is going 9,500 rpms. Vs with my carb it barely hits 7,000. Going to have a guy soak my carbs, and check them out. And with 8 inches of snow on the ground and going to be getting 3-5 more inches, glad I found out what is wrong. So now I can get it fixed and start Braaaping. Really like this site, and all the good people and info. :rocks: You all have been a great help and I thank you all!! Think snow!!!!:letsnow:

Yep, same thing happened to me! As Grizz suggested, make sure you synch the carbs. His tool is easy to make and works like a charm!

Personally I would have the carbs fully rebuilt including NEW pilot jets. Make sure that the carbs are SONIC cleaned....not just sprayed clean. But it's your money and frustration. :)

The compression test is key. It will tell you if it's the motor. Did you ever test the coils?

With due respect SA, these motors are next to bulletproof and the clutches will open and shift out in the worst of conditions (ask me how I know this). This sounded like a carb issue from the first post I read when I got back home. Just happy the OP got it figured out!

With due respect SA, these motors are next to bulletproof and the clutches will open and shift out in the worst of conditions (ask me how I know this). This sounded like a carb issue from the first post I read when I got back home. Just happy the OP got it figured out!
Yeah, I am happy that I found out to. Was driving me crazy!!

Yep, same thing happened to me! As Grizz suggested, make sure you synch the carbs. His tool is easy to make and works like a charm!

Personally I would have the carbs fully rebuilt including NEW pilot jets. Make sure that the carbs are SONIC cleaned....not just sprayed clean. But it's your money and frustration. :)
What does Sonic cleaned mean? Thanks

Ultra Sonic bath in solvent. Same type of equipment your dental office uses to clean instruments or jeweler uses to clean rings except on a more heavy duty scale.

Ultra Sonic bath in solvent. Same type of equipment your dental office uses to clean instruments or jeweler uses to clean rings except on a more heavy duty scale.
Thank you!!

Bath them in solvent or spray them down with carb cleaner, both are good. Make sure you use compressed air to blow out the passages. Used real compressed air, not the stuff that comes in a bottle to clean your keyboard.
70-100psi will blow out scale or deposits in the passages if they have been soaked with a cleaner. I chase brake cleaner after I have blown out the carb cleaner to ensure everything is clean. Might be excessive but it did work well for me.

Bath them in solvent or spray them down with carb cleaner, both are good. Make sure you use compressed air to blow out the passages. Used real compressed air, not the stuff that comes in a bottle to clean your keyboard.
70-100psi will blow out scale or deposits in the passages if they have been soaked with a cleaner. I chase brake cleaner after I have blown out the carb cleaner to ensure everything is clean. Might be excessive but it did work well for me.
Thank you for this post. Really clears cleaning the carbs up. I use 120psi in an huge air compressor. So after I blower all the inlets and out lets out. I should take carb cleaner/break cleaner and shoot that where I put the compressed air? I am going to work on the carbs soon. Thanks Steiner!!!

Check for crud in the inlet screens under the needle seats.

20161211_193401.jpg

That what I meant when I said check the "hats". Wasn't sure if the 4strokes had them.
My 2smokes had these.

Thanks for the pic Northernsledder. ;)!

That what I meant when I said check the "hats". Wasn't sure if the 4strokes had them.
My 2smokes had these.

Thanks for the pic Northernsledder. ;)!
I missed that, sorry. :)

I'm glad OP got it figured out.

Now, dirty carbs... I understand debris can get in, but this is why I WILL NOT use ethanol blended fuel. I don't care if our sleds are meant for 87 gopher piss gas. I'll pay for ethanol free premium.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Check for crud in the inlet screens under the needle seats.

View attachment 123828
Mine does not have those white filters on it. Just the brass jet screw. Just cleaned the carbs again. And made sure that the rubber boots, on top of the carbs where seated right. Now it goes up to 8,000 rpms, not 7,000. I did blow every thing out, and pumped carb cleaner in. I think now I am just going to try a fuel treatment. To help if there is some thing blocked. As right now I have 6-7 inches of fresh powder on top of 8-9 inches of hard snow. When I get some time off from riding like 3-4 days I will take the carb off, and have a guy go over it. Maybe he can find the other 1,000 rpms. :)

The filter isn't on the fuel jets, it's on the fuel inlet from the gas tank, under the needle and seat. Remove the tiny Phillips screw and pull the brass needle seat out of the carb and see what you find?

I apologize if this in error.

20161211_193138.jpg

Back