• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mach Z or SRX?

Fit and finish has been brought up. I agree this is an important factor. The reason i have purchased Yamaha my entire time riding is the quality and durability. I tend to keep my sleds until well over 10,000 miles because I have OCD when it comes to maintenance. In fact my last one had nearly 20,000 with no major issues save routine maintenance. The rear skid on doos is awesome. No one even close for sure. However, i always wondered if they would hold up long term for me. I questioned the Yamacat issue but I have been pleasantly surprised how durable this sled has been for me along with my Apex. The guys I ride with are doo guys but they always trade in every two years so i have no long term reference. I guess it just depends how you will use it and how long. Power is addicting though. Love it!

I loved my Winder mostly because of the power and I kept it bone stock. It rode and handled great and the only reason I went to Doo was because of all the Cat issues I didn’t want to deal with.
My Renegade 900R turbo runs as good or better than my stock Winder and rides and handles better. The biggest plus is it’s truly a gas and go sled without all the drama. I say if you absolutely have to have the fastest sled on snow then the tuned Winder is your best option.
The 900R turbo is a great sled for those who want great reliable performance without having to be a master mechanic. The Winder is an absolute rocket when tuned and is by far the king of the lakes.
Riders need to figure out what they want in a sled and get either one and they won’t be disappointed.
My 900 R performed as it should and I was very happy with everything about it. I’ve been riding since the early 1970’s and my 900R turbo is the best sled I have ever owned. My Winder was my next best.
That 900r turbo is far from perfect.
Lots of issues with it.
Maybe if it was driven by a old person like you who can't see to do maintenance it might last.
Good luck

That 900r turbo is far from perfect.
Lots of issues with it.
Maybe if it was driven by a old person like you who can't see to do maintenance it might last.
Good luck
You should know since you have owned both right? Oh wait maybe I’m thinking of someone who actually has owned both.
I’m 67 years old and have done years and years of wrenching on everything including over 35 sleds from 8 different manufacturers since 1970 so don’t talk to me about maintenance.

Curious as far as issues besides obvious lack of power, enlighten me.
Lots of problems on that ski doo site. Go read about them. Also we had our primary clutch not disengage with only 900 miles on it. Dealer fixed under warranty.

Last edited:
Curious as far as issues besides obvious lack of power, enlighten me.

I saw a post about exhaust manifolds cracking. Just can't seem to find it.
Wait till these 900r start putting miles on, especially with a tune. Then we can get back to the question at hand. "Unglued" is the word that comes to mind.

Last edited:
I saw a post about exhaust manifolds cracking. Just can't seem to find it.
Wait till these 900r start putting miles on, especially with a tune. Then we can get back to the question at hand. "Unglued" is the word that comes to mind.
Guess we'll see how mine does, you guys making me nervous now lol.

Guess we'll see how mine does, you guys making me nervous now lol.
You're fine, I wouldn't be at all nervous at the 190hp +/- level.
This year everything will get sorted out. Pay attention to the "Doo Crew" in regards to what's what.
We're 6yrs ahead of you guys, as far as teething goes.
I just wouldn't want to be the first guy spearheading the 250hp++ range. My pockets aren't deep enough. lol...
Congratulations on your new beautiful sled......

I work seasonally on all brands of sleds and I will admit the skidoo’s have the least amount of issues year to year and build quality is surperior IMHO. Yamacats are high on maintence and required fixes but once their addressed their very reliable. Truly feel that ifthe ecu was locked on the 998 sales would go down. Hard to beat and may never be a sled that can push 300 hp all day long at a relatively cheap performance upgrade price.

If Cat would fix all of their issues and made the fit and finish better, then it would be the best sled.

There are issues with all things mechanical. We all choose which issue ones annoy us and which ones we can live with. Kind of like a wife. LOL

One Sunday evening when all the off trail guys are headed back south i like to go out and run some "trap lines".
A tuned sidewinder will cruise down the trail over 100 mph at 1/8 throttle.
With that being said I make sure everything is in excellent operating condition.
Maintenance is key to enjoying miles of smiles!
When the time is right we cover 1/3 of the UP in a night.

One Sunday evening when all the off trail guys are headed back south i like to go out and run some "trap lines".
A tuned sidewinder will cruise down the trail over 100 mph at 1/8 throttle.
With that being said I make sure everything is in excellent operating condition.
Maintenance is key to enjoying miles of smiles!
When the time is right we cover 1/3 of the UP in a night.
That’s great, I do the same but without all the maintenance. I prep my sleds in the Fall and ride without worry till the next Fall. I remember riding on weekends and then spending the following week getting my sleds ready for the next weekend. This is 2022 and there should be no reason to be working on sleds during the season unless you wreck them.

IMO, depends on level of tune. Chassis/sled was designed for 180HP. Adding HP taxes the whole sled more so it stands to reason there could be more attention required to make sure there aren't problems. Running a 180HP sled at 300HP for sure opens up the possibility of more potential issues. Laws of physics. If leaving it at 180HP I think you're right - should be able to ride the whole season without any problem.

That’s great, I do the same but without all the maintenance. I prep my sleds in the Fall and ride without worry till the next Fall. I remember riding on weekends and then spending the following week getting my sleds ready for the next weekend. This is 2022 and there should be no reason to be working on sleds during the season unless you wreck them.
Joe, you jumped on the Winder bandwagon early. Capable of big miles, and ride, In what I would consider a very harsh environment (Canada) cold temp alone.
Point....you met with just about every Winder failure possible.
And everything you met with, now has a fix.
Once in place, the maintenance I need to do my winder is no different to your maintenance you'll need to do to the 900r.

Try to get over it and enjoy your season.

Back