• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mach Z or SRX?

yamadooman

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2023 SRX
I currently have a 22 Mach Z and have an opportunity to get a new SRX with EPS. I really liked the Mach as far as trails go but we all know the limitations as far as power goes. I did put a Hurricane ECU on it and that dramatically improved performance but still not able to run with a 270 and up tuned Winder. I think the build quality is definitely better on the Skidoo but tell me why I should get the SRX…. Does anyone on here own both and have a preference on what you drive?? If I get the SRX, I think I will get rid of the Mach. I have owned a tuned Winder in 2018 just for reference. Are all the reliability issues blown out of proportion? Not interested in bashing of either!

The SRX needs a few updates to make it reliable. Some issues are blown out of proportion, but most are legit. The good news is they have been out long enough that all issues can be addressed so it can be a reliable sled.

I have not ridden the Mach but if I did my own maintenance I'd go with the SRX for sure. If not, I'd go with the Mach.

The "chassis" issues with the SRX are minor. I don't consider replacing bearings every now and then or adding a tunnel stiffener or a few relays a big deal considering the performance capability of the sled. As mentioned, there are developed remedies for the issues that are not costly. Should a 20K sled have those issues? probably not but it is what it is. The EPS is fabulous and worth having especially as we get older. The QS3's are great shocks and the Procross chassis itself handles well and the Yamaha engine is pretty bullet proof unless you boost it to infinity and beyond. LOL
It could use a new gauge like Doo has. I suspect that would have been here by now except for supply chain issues. I added the Garmin set up to my 22' Tcat and I like it although the dash mount does not work with the stock windshield. I think SRX has a fly screen for a windshield. I would put a real windshield on it.

Additionally, as a guy with a few vintage SRX's in the garage, I love the color scheme on the 22'. I have nothing bad to say about the Mach Z but I have never been a Ski Doo fan.

I had the Mach and the tcat w eps this past season. Sold the Mach. It has better fit an finish and has likely the best rear skid. However I found it to be a cold sled , harder steering and as we all know slower. The eps is in my opinion a game changer for a trail sled. I like sticking my feet in the foot wells to warm up. Even riding it stock was a blast but I will put a turn on this fall. While it doesn’t ride quite as nice it’s still pretty good. If I never had ride a yamacat before I would think the Mach is awesome but owned many so I knew. If it had an eps option though i would go back and hope the updates this year improve the power. The ecu upgrade I’m sure made it better but pricey
I ordered a Polaris 850 turbo to try this winter as well. I will have the cat handy as well as I do question it’s reliability lol
While we all have our favourites the top machines from the other camps all have worthy points to appreciate as well. Just got to pick what’s important for your style.

Pretty much what was said above. I will add last winter a group us all drive boosted 998s and got a chance To drive a buddy’s Mach Z and we all loved the handling, ride , quality build , only thing lacking really was the power.

Power is the reason to get the SRX. What track do you have on the Mach? I don't even think I could take one ride on a SRX with a 1" track. Both top tier sleds, you're splitting hairs on which is better. I say go for the SRX and then you will know which one you like better.

All I have to add is that the factory power steering is the biggest game changer in the history of 4-strokes, except possibly for the turbo itself. Absolutely stunning - easier to ride long distances than a 600!

Well this is the most HONEST responses i've EVER seen!!!!
Everyone admits EXACTLY the goods & bads of each. Hopefully the bashers stay away.

SNOWDUST nailed it.
If you have time to wrench, like to wrench & LOVE Top End then the SRX may be best.
I ran out of wrenching time a few years ago & don't like "down time" so my 900R(not a Mach) worked better for me.
I like the DOO rear suspension more & the fronts' were equal with similar shocks.

Options & Accessories are 10 times better on Doo since i Back Pack, but to be able to pay $500ish & get over 250 RELIABLE Horse Power is hard to convince our addicted brains to NOT get an SRX.

Some people Rarely see Top End so that's a factor also.
TOUGH CHOICE!!!!!

Get both. MOD the Hell out of the SRX & keep the Mach for riding.
It was my goal..........................................................................................then i bought a boat!!!! Plans change

Well this is the most HONEST responses i've EVER seen!!!!
Everyone admits EXACTLY the goods & bads of each. Hopefully the bashers stay away.

SNOWDUST nailed it.
If you have time to wrench, like to wrench & LOVE Top End then the SRX may be best.
I ran out of wrenching time a few years ago & don't like "down time" so my 900R(not a Mach) worked better for me.
I like the DOO rear suspension more & the fronts' were equal with similar shocks.

Options & Accessories are 10 times better on Doo since i Back Pack, but to be able to pay $500ish & get over 250 RELIABLE Horse Power is hard to convince our addicted brains to NOT get an SRX.

Some people Rarely see Top End so that's a factor also.
TOUGH CHOICE!!!!!

Get both. MOD the Hell out of the SRX & keep the Mach for riding.
It was my goal..........................................................................................then i bought a boat!!!! Plans change

Good points regarding the sleds. Regarding boats, remember the two happiest days for boat owners are the day they get the boat followed by the day they sell the boat. LOL

I've been filling mine with 40" Striper
Although at $5,25 a gallon around here.............those are expensive fish

The good news is i run a 50hp Yamaha 4-stroke

This post is EXACTLY where i'll be next year when buying a new sled.
At over 5000 miles a year (hopefully 6000) i'll be buying a new sled every other year.
I loved the looks & power of my Winders.
And YES i know we've got most of the "issues" dialed in where i MAY be able to keep up with them.

BUT, i have some tainted memories that are drilled into my mind.
The last one being when i towed a Winder cuz the tunnel broke from too much weight on it over time.
I saddlebag & that tunnel is NOT made to carry weight especially the way i ride.

If i come back to a Winder i'd have to install a tunnel stiffener, new top gear, weld screw, beef up rear suspension & remove Driveshaft to have it "done RIGHT"
This bothers me that i have to do this much work in the Fall or Winter when i should be Hunting.
Not to mention my sled is quicker, more responsive, better fuel mileage & i carry A LOT of stuff.

BUT i still LOVE the Winder and what it says to other riders!!!!

These are GOOD times when you have to make TUFF decisions.

Maybe all 3 companies will make some changes so the decision might be even HARDER!!!!

This post is EXACTLY where i'll be next year when buying a new sled.
At over 5000 miles a year (hopefully 6000) i'll be buying a new sled every other year.
I loved the looks & power of my Winders.
And YES i know we've got most of the "issues" dialed in where i MAY be able to keep up with them.

BUT, i have some tainted memories that are drilled into my mind.
The last one being when i towed a Winder cuz the tunnel broke from too much weight on it over time.
I saddlebag & that tunnel is NOT made to carry weight especially the way i ride.

If i come back to a Winder i'd have to install a tunnel stiffener, new top gear, weld screw, beef up rear suspension & remove Driveshaft to have it "done RIGHT"
This bothers me that i have to do this much work in the Fall or Winter when i should be Hunting.
Not to mention my sled is quicker, more responsive, better fuel mileage & i carry A LOT of stuff.

BUT i still LOVE the Winder and what it says to other riders!!!!

These are GOOD times when you have to make TUFF decisions.

Maybe all 3 companies will make some changes so the decision might be even HARDER!!!!
All that can be done in less than a day. Just sayin. Add a 270 tune and you have a reliable sled that most can't touch.

I loved my Winder mostly because of the power and I kept it bone stock. It rode and handled great and the only reason I went to Doo was because of all the Cat issues I didn’t want to deal with.
My Renegade 900R turbo runs as good or better than my stock Winder and rides and handles better. The biggest plus is it’s truly a gas and go sled without all the drama. I say if you absolutely have to have the fastest sled on snow then the tuned Winder is your best option.
The 900R turbo is a great sled for those who want great reliable performance without having to be a master mechanic. The Winder is an absolute rocket when tuned and is by far the king of the lakes.
Riders need to figure out what they want in a sled and get either one and they won’t be disappointed.
My 900 R performed as it should and I was very happy with everything about it. I’ve been riding since the early 1970’s and my 900R turbo is the best sled I have ever owned. My Winder was my next best.

Back