• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MPI Turbo Viper ongoing Review.....

So got the sled all broke in and I'm not really impressed with the turbo power. I have a boosted apex and was hoping this MPI turbo would give me that wooooow feel when you nail it, but I'm not getting that. I have pro logger setup now and my rpms are 8900-9100 and my boost is 6.2 lbs, I know that the viper isn't going to give me the same wooooow that the apex does. When I first put the kit in I was saying that maybe it needs to get some miles on it before it comes alive, but I have 800miles on it now and still does not have the pull that I'm looking for, I'm looking for top speed but I want that holy $&@$, feeling when I pin it.
I'm not sure if it's something just us flat landers are feeling experiencing, but I have talked to another guy around me that said the same thing. Oh what really ticked me off this weekend was the 2012 rev 800 that sold to my brother beat me three times this weekend!!!!!! Over $5000 upgrade and I'm not experiencing what I was expecting

jw440/800 said:
So got the sled all broke in and I'm not really impressed with the turbo power. I have a boosted apex and was hoping this MPI turbo would give me that wooooow feel when you nail it, but I'm not getting that. I have pro logger setup now and my rpms are 8900-9100 and my boost is 6.2 lbs, I know that the viper isn't going to give me the same wooooow that the apex does. When I first put the kit in I was saying that maybe it needs to get some miles on it before it comes alive, but I have 800miles on it now and still does not have the pull that I'm looking for, I'm looking for top speed but I want that holy $&@$, feeling when I pin it.
I'm not sure if it's something just us flat landers are feeling experiencing, but I have talked to another guy around me that said the same thing. Oh what really ticked me off this weekend was the 2012 rev 800 that sold to my brother beat me three times this weekend!!!!!! Over $5000 upgrade and I'm not experiencing what I was expecting

Something is not right on your sled. Mine is fast as hell.

Waiting to hear back from Matt, hoping he has an idea of what is going on

I'm getting negative boost when idling and cruising until I punch it then it jumps to 6 lbs.

Are you guys ever getting negative boost?

jw440/800 said:
Waiting to hear back from Matt, hoping he has an idea of what is going on

I'm getting negative boost when idling and cruising until I punch it then it jumps to 6 lbs.

I have seen that on my crappy azz koso gauge. Different guage and it's gone. What's your fuel control settings? What AFR readings u getting at each settings?

Matt sent new weights to bring up rpms, and the gems is set to what they called for in manual, can recall off hand. The new weights helped I was only getting 8300 before new weights

Gems Fuel Controller Settings.

Green at 3
Yellow at 4
Blue Green is on 4
Red is on 3

Whats everyone else set at... plus I am running an Ulmer Clutch kit and testing some other stuff at the moment.

Last edited:
jw440/800 said:

Jason I'm in Yellowstone doing more testing on future products. Big boost??? Shoot me a PM with your number and I'll call you. I've got enough seat time on this sled to know it should kick #*$&@. Plus a lot of other guys that are kicking butt.

jw440/800 said:

Re your query above;

Negative boost indication is normal at idle and until the Turbo builds boost [normally above cruise speed].

An engine sucks in air in order to operate. That creates a negative pressure behind the throttle bodies which is what your boost guage is measuring.

My MCX Turbo Apex registers negative 4 ish psi at idle, My forme MPI Supercharged RX 1 & fomer MPI Supercharged Apex about the same as well as a friends Alpine Turbo Doo.

The Turbos cruise at trail speeds with no or negative boost. Superhargers build boost earlier in the RPM range so you may not see negative boost at cruise speed.

The only boost guage I had that did not show negative boost was an analog guage with an indicator and it had a stopper pin at 0 so it could not show negative boost.

Riceburner,
Thats what I thought and thanks for the reply. Matt is going to call today and I will update everyone what the findings are.

Thanks

jw440/800 said:
11.8-12.5 if I remember correctly

Take t from a guy that blew one up already!!! 12.4 at WOT is way to lean.

1st off what you are experiencing is a lot like my story. With the turbo it was faster than stock but not quite what I was expecting. I also had issues with it dropping a cylinder every now and then. When I was faced with a non warranty rebuild on a brand new sled I decided to go all the way.

I put in carillo rods, wiseco low comp pistons. The new quick spool wastegate and upgrade the fuel pump to take it to 10#'s of boost. Long story but the pump did not fit so for now I got it back with only 6#'s like it was before. With low compression pistons I should have been giving a bit up till we turned up the boost but NOT! This thing now pulls like a freight train. I had to pull the limiter strap down to keep it from standing on its tail. I never saw over 103 with overdrive sheaves before and am still in breakin so have not done a long wot but saw 107 -2 times on short pulls with more to go.

I was riding ditches after the big snow last week and was on a road berm at 45 deg angle doing 40 mph and punched it, it stood on end with the skis a good 4' in the air before I could let off. I rode it this past Monday and have blisters on my hands from trying to hold on.

With no changes to the GEMs I am seeing 10.9 to 11.4 at WOT and there is absolutely no lag. I have to think it is this new waste gate.

I dropped it off yesterday to get the new pump in I will have 10#'s by Wednesday :Rockon:

This video is after I pulled the limiter strap down to keep the skis down and I am sitting as far front on the tank as I can.

http://youtu.be/mg2B47wHoJY

If you go to full screen and watch closely to the beginning of the video I was sitting but back on the seat, the headlight dissapears cause the skis are 3' off the ground.

I will get better video this week when I get it back.

Back