• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MPI Turbo Viper ongoing Review.....

Yours went down from crap gas not lean afr, regardless of what you wish to believe. 12's are plenty safe on a boosted viper at 5-6 psi of boost.

TurboJamie said:
Yours went down from crap gas not lean afr, regardless of what you wish to believe. 12's are plenty safe on a boosted viper at 5-6 psi of boost.

I'm running around 10.6-11.4 depending on the day. And it's fast as hell! If I'm rich I can't tell! My mileage is good, same as everyone else I go with. Some 800's one 500 sno pro and one zr580 is was bad. And my wife is the only one that gets better gas mileage that me. The 800 ski doo gets around 1-2 mpg less than me. 800 cat gets worse than that and the 500 sno pro gets a little better too I forgot that one. So for me running a little rich and saving my motor with no worries of the ragged edge I'm ok with that. I'm around 12.5 just cruising around or slow speeds. But WOT 10.6-11.4 is my goal! ;)!

TurboJamie said:

I am with you... he also had lots of electrical gremlins that I believe was the real problem as well as pushing it with it not working properly... may as well tell it all Steve... if your going to vent on this site, you may as well come clean....taking the jamb nut off the waste gate dont help either...boost.. 6, 7 whatever close enough...LOL

Remember this is my thread about my experience and my MPI on going review!! You want to go tell about your mistakes... start your own thread.... sorry bro, I had to say it.

But if you guys want to run it lower AFRs that's your place to do so.....I really believe if you worried about the thing then drop em down... you just need to know what to watch and when not it push the sled.

MrSled said:
TurboJamie said:

I am with you... he also had lots of electrical gremlins that I believe was the real problem as well as pushing it with it not working properly... may as well tell it all Steve... if your going to vent on this site, you may as well come clean....taking the jamb nut off the waste gate dont help either...boost.. 6, 7 whatever close enough...LOL

Remember this is my thread about my experience and my MPI on going review!! You want to go tell about your mistakes... start your own thread.... sorry bro, I had to say it.

But if you guys want to run it lower AFRs that's your place to do so.....I really believe if you worried about the thing then drop em down... you just need to know what to watch and when not it push the sled.

Agree wasn't he one of the guys without gauges as well?

TurboJamie said:
MrSled said:
TurboJamie said:

Agree wasn't he one of the guys without gauges as well?

He may have at first but I know later on he didn't.

Hey Brent, by the way your posts read, sounds like you got your sled boosted ;)! I thought you would come around :) Keep us up to date on how you like it. Did you get the 190 kit? Would like to hear from someone that did the 270 kit? Enjoy, Dan

Ya, wasn't planning, but a member and I worked out a deal. Just started for the first time. Bought the Koso gauge. Might have wasted 385 bucks?

Best I have used and I have used lots.

VEI high resolution boost gauge

AEM wideband ugeo controller.

The VEI boost gauge has the sensor built in and reads in .1 psi pressure incriments.

FAMILYMAN said:
MrSled said:
FAMILYMAN said:
Tom, are you still running the Koso gauge?

Have you figured it out? Putting mine in this week.

No.. not a fan at all... junk.
:o|

You can run it but trust me you will have to hook it up the way I run mine or it will give you headaches...if you can get your money back, do it.

MrSled said:
FAMILYMAN said:
MrSled said:
FAMILYMAN said:

You can run it but trust me you will have to hook it up the way I run mine or it will give you headaches...if you can get your money back, do it.

We've never used them or sold them but I've talked to a lot of guys that have them and I don't have any trust in them at all. I wish they worked because it’s a nice looking setup. I'll take function over form any day.

matt@mpi said:
MrSled said:
FAMILYMAN said:
MrSled said:
FAMILYMAN said:

We've never used them or sold them but I've talked to a lot of guys that have them and I don't have any trust in them at all. I wish they worked because it’s a nice looking setup. I'll take function over form any day.

Returned it, have the digital innovate gauges coming. Set the gems to 5, boost turned way down. Feels like 3lbs. Riding tonight with octane boost, no gauges....wish me luck. Btw, it's already a rocket!

MrSled said:
TurboJamie said:

Sorry I was out riding when you posted this TOM and I can kinda agree "but" at the TY ride in December it was dropping cylinders. I was told the kit does not require gauges and was set up for 6#'s of boost with perfect AFR #'s. after losing cylinders 2 time at less than 400 miles I added the gauges and found that it was set at 4#'s. I called both the manufacturer and the installer. and both of them told me to turn it 2 full turns on the rod. Tim's had 6 or 7 threads showing with the jamb nut in place. Mine had no threads showing and I was instructed to remove it and only got 1 full turn.

The boost was showing 6#'s at wot and 7 at let off before the waste gate opened. AFR was 10.9 to 11.4 and would jump to 12.4 at let off. I only ran WOT for a period of a couple of seconds. All of which I was told was perfect. And remeber I did not adjust the boost until 405 miles and the installation of the gauges. I t continued to drop a cylinder 2 or 3 more times out to 867 miles when it finally went. Also around 440 miles it pushed about a quart of oil out of the breather tube all over the turbo and muffler at high speed around 80 or 90 mph. After each event I called the installer and emailed MPI and talked about the experience and not once was I told hey this is an issue you better bring it in.

NOW enough of that!!!! If you can believe it - this was all a blessing in disguise because since the rebuild and a ton of money I did not want to spend this thing is now everything I wanted as far as power.

9#'s of boost is perfect and I can go to 11 safely. I need a new helmet cause the BV2S does not have enough room for the smile to fully form everytime I pull the trigger. Saturday was the first time ever since ive owned it I did a not stop Balls to the Walls run through an entire tank of fuel from Pence, WI to Pats Yamaha in Greenland, MI Where this all started in December. We did 80 miles in just over 2 hrs and there is a lot of tight twisties on the way. I bet the skis were only on the ground for half of that :Rockon:

I now have over 650 miles on it since the rebuild without issues except reverse failure which is now fixed and 1 blown belt at around 1200 miles which to me is acceptable when piling 220 hp on it. That belt is lifting 560ish lb sled and 200# man 3' in the air.

It still does not handle like an old rx or apex but that is what this summer is for!

As a side note my buddy liked my pro r 800 and bought a leftover 2013. He rode it 2 times and went up with me with 235 miles on it . We went 16 miles on Friday night and it blew up!! so its not just me!

This pic is the original view of the actuator rod on the waste gate. Hauck had screwed it in as far as possible at install to try to get 6#'s and later told me that he could not get it there with his temporary gauge and delivered it to me anyhow, even Tim's was set at 4 or 5#'s but still had 6 or 7 threads left

Attachments

• wastegate rod.jpg
    wastegate rod.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 216

Back