• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MPI Turbo Viper ongoing Review.....

I'm talking trail or across a lake. I'm not going to run my sled down a ice road at 117 mph. I would go to jail for that around here. Unless there is a regular race there that's not "normal riding conditions" shi* my Nytro would do 117 without a turbo with all the mods I had on that kind of road. That's not saying much. What's the real speed on a trail or a nice lake with snow cover? People see your top speed and wonder why they can't do it.. Well if you explained that it was on a ice covered road with around a mile of straight people would say big deal. There are probably some stock sleds that will do that in those conditions.

I did not say it took a mile of straight, i stated the distance. your stock nytro with your bolt ons wouldnt see 117 if it fell out of a plane.

stock sleds wont do it under those conditions either, not quite as simple as you seem to think, thats why you went turbo. no worries, get your issues fixed and enjoy that sled !

Relax... you guys want to bicker about how fast your turbo sleds are go start your own thread... this is MY review thread for MPI.

suburban said:
I did not say it took a mile of straight, i stated the distance. your stock nytro with your bolt ons wouldnt see 117 if it fell out of a plane.

stock sleds wont do it under those conditions either, not quite as simple as you seem to think, thats why you went turbo. no worries, get your issues fixed and enjoy that sled !

I know you didn't say a mile, but you would have to accelerate and then stop so I just gave a mile just to say a distance. And my Nytro did do 117 it was down a slight hill on a really good plowed road in MI. And I didn't say that a stock Viper would do 117 I said a there are some stock sleds that could do that speed on a packed down road. Like turbo cat or 800 e tec. Or maybe even a 800 cat. No worries either with me...it's all good. The thread is about the MPI turbo and it just seemed like you were trying to say how fast yours was without saying it was on a packed road. We are talking about trail speed or a good lake run. All the turbos are probably pretty dam close! And ...lol I can't ride because there is something wrong with my clutches? But that's not the topic...Sorry Tom! I am however very happy with the MPI turbo! It is an awesome set up! :Rockon:

Good write up tom, thanks for sharing. Good thing I did not ride yours I would be talking to Matt :o|

No offense Matt, you seam like a really nice guy, but I have a feeling you would cost me money...haha! Brent

FAMILYMAN said:
Good write up tom, thanks for sharing. Good thing I did not ride yours I would be talking to Matt :o|

No offense Matt, you seam like a really nice guy, but I have a feeling you would cost me money...haha! Brent

Brent I won't charge you to talk. But maybe after we talk for awhile you'll be giving me you credit card #!!

matt@mpi said:
FAMILYMAN said:

Brent I won't charge you to talk. But maybe after we talk for awhile you'll be giving me you credit card #!!

Brent can make it happen...LOL

Brent , you know you want boost, and you will never regret it after you have it, you will just want more boost!!! I'd give Matt a call and get it coming ;)! You seem like to nice a guy to go thru life without experiencing Boost!! Just my 2-cents worth

My only problem with boost is I was one of the first with a rear mount bender on a rx1. Now I know things have changed a lot since 04. But when it ran good, wow it was fast. So boost is in my blood.

MrSled said:
matt@mpi said:
FAMILYMAN said:

Brent can make it happen...LOL

I have yet to prove that Tom, but my word is good! ;)!

Well Brent, now we know the rest of the story, You already have had boost in you blood, I can't believe you have not already boosted your Viper. Thing have come a long way in the past 10 years, now days it is pretty much plug and play with the help of the fuel controllers and the injected motors. I'll bet by next year you will have boost again since you know what it is all about ;)!

Agman 57 said:
Well Brent, now we know the rest of the story, You already have had boost in you blood, I can't believe you have not already boosted your Viper. Thing have come a long way in the past 10 years, now days it is pretty much plug and play with the help of the fuel controllers and the injected motors. I'll bet by next year you will have boost again since you know what it is all about ;)!

Been hitting the gym, so I can hang on. Long story just a little surgery. Boost might be closer then I expected.

Now, back to Tom's Mpi. While riding what are looking at the most, or everything? Af,boost,temp.....? I saw you shut down and don't let it ideal to avoid overheating. Anything else you are doing?

We have done nothing but ride the boosted Viper we built it's sitting at 4000 Northern Ontario high speed miles. It never gets shut off unless for gas as it's a pain to start. IMO these low boost kits are pretty dialed. Verify boost and afr upon install and just go ride it!

Its awesome that MPI is the turbo for Yamaha again! Maybe we can get some breaks when it comes to warranty. So far all of my issues have been covered. And taken care of. No problems with the Turbo and that's a great thing. I'm over 3000 miles and running perfect! Now I just need to keep everything else together!

Back