• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My Two Cents, for what it's worth.

This thread just proves we are not one size fits all.

Exactly! What will satisfy one may not fulfill the needs of another. There's definitely a niche market to fill here with a purpose built GPS for sleds that can be easily and cheaply updated and can use whatever app you want. I have found this motorcycle Android device that may work but is relatively expensive and is still running an older version of Android (6.0)
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/123568693351?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

I could see something like this running the mapping app of your choice tethered (wifi or bluetooth) to your phone for Internet. Most apps can run with the maps pre-loaded so even that's not really necessary. That or use an old phone or tablet in a protective case.

I have ridden for 45 years all over Michigan without a GPS or ever getting lost. Signs and Maps have served me well. I even have maps of the forest roads for when out on dirt bikes, or Quads and even when two tracking in my truck.

Last edited:
You haven't lived until you've experienced Ontario signage. About as useful as a stockpile of toilet paper during a pandemic. :D

I find it extremely disappointing that a Motorsport company as big as Yamaha with its past reputation of producing great products, can’t even come out with their own product. If I wanted a sled that looks like a cat, I’d buy a cat. Doesn’t matter what colour it is it still looks like a cat. Watched a video from Swowest the other day on the reintroduction of the new mountain max. I was excited about the new model. They said the only difference between it and the Cat Alpha One is the colour, fuel mapping and the snow flap. Really, that’s all yamaha can do for the comeback of a sled like the mountain max. Unbelievable. It’s a good thing they have the best 4 stroke of the sled industry because IMHO that’s what’s keeping the majority of their customers. I bought into the Yamaha hype and I own a Viper but it’s hard to be proud of it when fellow riders pull up on their Cats and the only difference is colour and graphics. My 03 RX1 with 18,000 miles on it had less issues than my new viper. Owning the viper has me looking at other brands of sleds for the first time in years. Of course these are just my own opinions so take them for what it’s worth.

How about Yamaha Ride Command or something similar to the Polaris app?
It’s handy when you need it.

We whine too much. Yeah, Yamaha did not develop a cutting edge new narrow chassis with a big screen T.V. stuck in the dash. Do I need a cutting edge new chassis? Well, I can't ride the Yamaha SRV chassis to its limits. Nope, Yamaha didn't introduce a new "Yamaha" engine, but what is wrong with the engine I have? My biggest gripe in the past was buying a new sled and then having to put new skis on it the same day, they fixed that. Second biggest gripe, not having more choices for suspension. Yamaha, that is something you can fix without putting profitability at jeopardy. It's simple, give spring orders a choice for upgrade and pass the cost on to us. Color choices, yeah it would be nice but I understand that might not be so practical. Last gripe, and this is a big one; give us a windshield that is actually a windshield as an option. That thing on the SE models is absolutely worthless and the GT windshield is just ugly. There has to be something in between?

Last, but not least. Dollar for dollar Yamaha gives us as much, if not more, value than the other manufacturers. No I might not be getting a cutting edge display, but I am not spending money on a tunnel bag either, or a painted tunnel for that matter. Cost of ownership of a Yamaha has, and always will, in my opinion be the factor it comes down to. One of my riding buddies is a well respected BRP tech. He will tell you that an Etec is a 10K mile engine. As we all know Yamaha 4 strokes have no problem hitting and exceeding 20K while retaining value. Look at it this way, if I buy an Etec for $10K each mile I ride is $1 of life/value gone. A Yamaha is $ .50 a mile gone. Doesn't take a PHd in math to figure those numbers out. To boot, that doesn't take into consideration the $50 gallon of oil I will be putting in ever 400 miles, or the $300 fancy tunnel bag I have to buy if I want to carry my owners manual with me.

Great post.

One fortunate benefit's of my job is the ability to ride all the other competitor models at Snow Shoot each year. Each OE has some great vehicles for 2021 with unique features to set them apart. I am biased but after riding ALL of the other iron, latest gadgets, suspension, you name it... the biggest grin in my helmet comes from squeezing the throttle on a Sidewinder. There is no replacement for the feeling of the 998 turbo's pull.

Thanks for the comments on the windshields/colouring/shocks. We go about our models a bit different then our competitors in the fact that each model variant has a specific target market / audience. The colouring/windshields/shocks are all designed around that target customer.

SE- Younger, aggressive sport. (Fox RC, HPGS, low windshield)
GT- High Mileage, luxury refined cruiser. (QS3's with high windshield)
LE- Latest and greatest, [Tech & Appearance in relation to trends] (IQS or QS3 with race shield)
SRX- Must Win, Must be the fastest. Flattest groomed trail handling SMB in our lineup. (IQS w/ SRX dual rate springs with race shield)

Beyond that initial target, ideally a customer will fine tune with machine for their needs. Putting a big windshield on an SE may work for some customers, whereas some younger riders will take it off immediately. It's all a balance, but point taken!

Me too.
I would rather put an inexpensive Garmin GPS on that works just fine with VV mapping on my sled then pay most likely many hundreds of dollars extra to get a factory installed mapping setup.

I have an older eBay purchased Garmin, I made a modified Ram mount and VVmapping and it works great. I have always been a map guy but this works great to confirm where you are how fare to next intersection etc. I can say I feel much better with this than before and I have just 150 bucks into it with 3 sleds set up to use it on.

I like and would pay extra for a nice interactive display with GPS capability. Not necessarily a Yamaha specific GPS either. Something like GM (and other brands) does with CarPlay. You can run you mapping of choice through phone to display on sled screen. JMS Along with your normal sled stuff.

I have ridden for 45 years all over Michigan without a GPS or ever getting lost. Signs and Maps have served me well. I even have maps of the forest roads for when out on dirt bikes, or Quads and even when two tracking in my truck.

I get it. But New MODERN GPS is way better. I’m sure the indians though smoke signals were the whip and would never be replaced back in the day. Just think if they had cell phones! Hahaha. Embrace the future!

I would rather put an inexpensive Garmin GPS on that works just fine with VV mapping on my sled then pay most likely many hundreds of dollars extra to get a factory installed mapping setup.
And I agree. But to those of us that want the fancy display I would like it to be a option.

How about Yamaha Ride Command or something similar to the Polaris app?
It’s handy when you need it.

Let's compromise on the whole idea.
Offer it to us as an EXTRA.
Make it fit & plug in. Not an aftermarket wire yourself thingy-ma-bob.
Some of us can save money by NOT ordering it & others can PAY for it.
Some want it & are willing to jump ship to get it.

I don't want it!
My brain is too busy as it is, but it would be nice to have as an option if i did.

MY .02 cents

Back