• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New and old style hyfax vs. wear with the closed window trac

RedRX1

Lifetime Member
I just noticed something I do not recall discussion on. I just purchased each kind of hyfax for an 03 and an 05 Rx1, it looks like the proaction hyfax will interchange with the monoshock hyfax style.

I have heard about a lot of people replacing the finger track with the new closed window ripsaw. Fact the used 03 I have has a ripsaw on it, but I have not had it long enough to know.

I am wondering if the guys that put the ripsaw on the old style skid saw increased wear like the 05 forward sleds saw. It will be hard for me to tell as I opened the windows on my 05. I am trying to decide if I should open the windows on the 03 track as well and if I should standardize on old style or new style hyfax.

Got a pair of proaction ( 05) hyfax for my 06 Vector with mono by accident last year , the 05 hyfax were longer and had to cut and grind the back side to go riding that weekend . They worked fine , just wasn't as easy as getting the right ones . RX's might take different fax than RS's but don't think so , I've been wrong before tho , check the length .

I think what you are asking is: Does the Closed style track wear hyfax differently that the Open style Rip Saw Track. If this is the ?, I would answer yes. I got a couple K Miles on the hyfax with the origonal Ripsaw that had every thrid window open. I have been getting < 1 K with the new Ice Ripper that has all windows open, but clipped every third. I make a lot of effort to keep snow in the track. Based on my experiences and given the conditions I typically ride in, I would have to say the closed track causes the hyfax to wear less. Just my observation. No sceintific eveidence.

What I am trying to determine is if the old style narrow hyfax wore any differently than the new wider with the closed window track. ie. should I standardize my sleds on the narrow or wide hyfax??

I'll probably just get out the rotozip again and open the windows.

There has been zero indication of wear or fraying on the other track I did. I do not think the additional clips are necessary.

My '04 came with a Rip Saw. Here is something to think about before you open it up, .... Actually, my closed window OEM track wore less hyfax than the current fully punched Ice Ripper. If I had a choice, given the conditions we ride in, I would return to closed windows. Minus the choice, I offset the wheels. If that does not work, I'll probably clip them all. Ice Ripper and OEM is only 1/3 clipped.

Back