• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Ecu flash for Yamaha Viper/Arctic cats 7000 w/POLL

Your experience with the December 2018 Viper ecu update

• Total voters
A little, I dontd drive it much. I will look at it closer when ew get home. I drove it and it never died.... It felt like it was going to but I blipped the throttle and it stayed running. Overall it runs better, starts better and seems smoother. Is the idle completely computer controlled or can I turn it up old school?
Thanks for the info !
JG
I know this shouldnt have changed but maybe your belt deflection is on tight side? Might not have mattered before flashes lower idle.

Its computer controlled but honestly after warm up I would think the adjuster would still adjust it. Its there. I just never have. Maybe we all will want to if we can. Even after my tuning I am still 100rpm lower than before at warm up. 1700 vs 1800.
Mine after the flash was at 1500rpm but after adding fuel it's dropped to 1450

So I got the reflash on my wife's 14 Viper Thursday. Up north now and it quits every time she let's off the throttle coming to a stop or a steep hill. I did a search and I didn't see anyone else with that problem.... Anyone? I have very spotty internet so I apologize if this is covered somewhere and I didn't see it.
Thanks
Jamie

This sounds an aweful lot like a TORS issue. I’d try adjusting the throttle free play.

Thanks f
This sounds an aweful lot like a TORS issue. I’d try adjusting the throttle free play.
I appreciate all the feedback, I will check it all out, we are done for the day. I will look soon. Happy wife happy life !..

JG

Last edited:
BB756EA7-E7F3-4BD8-BE1C-29AAA4D7FDD1.png
Please keep us updated on this. I think this may be some of MtCoolers issue or tight valves. Thing with this reluctor wheel is that the ECU is supposed to determine timing by piston speed not the actual position of the points on reluctor wheel. Piston changes speed during the 4 cycle process. Now at startup that cant be done.so most fi engines fire ignition all strokes. Wasted Spark at startup till a certain rpm is reached. That startup sequence is where a reluctor wheel being off could really be a issue but does not explain his backfiring when it gets warm. He is all stock. Anyone have a temp sensor go out? His guage reads correctly and identical to mine but may be two temp sensors?
Update - dealer changed out part 13 in attached pic and all is fixed!! Sled cranks quicker and starts. Used to have the quick and then slow like battery dying as some are experiencing. Would also not start when hot without flipping throttle to lean it out. I have been riding for 2 days and never missed a first start even when stopping for gas and temp reading 98 Celsius. Turn key and she fires. I am happy now.

View attachment 146394
Update - dealer changed out part 13 in attached pic and all is fixed!! Sled cranks quicker and starts. Used to have the quick and then slow like battery dying as some are experiencing. Would also not start when hot without flipping throttle to lean it out. I have been riding for 2 days and never missed a first start even when stopping for gas and temp reading 98 Celsius. Turn key and she fires. I am happy now.
That’s awesome! Thanks for update.

View attachment 146394

Do you think part number 13 is unique to you or should this likely be part of the recall fix with the flash? Mine has been acting up in hot start situattions all weekend. Wonder is that would cure it.

Do you think part number 13 is unique to you or should this likely be part of the recall fix with the flash? Mine has been acting up in hot start situattions all weekend. Wonder is that would cure it.
If it has jumped out like mine was, the timing is off and likely over fueling and hard start when hot. You can pull primary, cover, etc and look to see if the alignment marks are out. I think that most of the problems people are having with new flash ( that are stock) are related to this issue.

So we decided to stay up one more day. It idles around 1500rpm, I loosened up the cable to make sure the TORS wasn't doing it, I may try the idle screw adjustment later, it's not the easiest to access without pulling everything off. I will report back later.
JG

Update to this post: Both vipers performed flawlessly this weekend. Started first try cold (below zero temps in morning) and when hot from long lake runs. Warmest outside it got was 8f. No weird hot start issue, idle was 1500 and steady. So not sure if outside temps play a big role in performance of latest flash but I was very happy!

Update to this post: My hot hard starts came back next ride and have progressively gotten worse. This has been in great snow and cold temps. To the point of backfiring on me a few times. In the UP 2 weeks ago I had to sit there for 15 min before it would start. Last ride out this weekend it was almost every time I went to restart after stopping it would do the crank, fire, crank, fire thing with occ backfire. My wife’s sled was flashed at same time and is perfect every time? So is it the flash or do I have a problem. We shall see, To the dealer it went today to see what they can find. Murphy’s law I’m sure it won’t do a thing for the mechanic LOL! I sure hope it’s something they can fix because this sled is useless as is. In fact last weekend I was the joke of the trip, they were betting over under on how many start try’s to get it going. Slightly disappointed at the moment. Will keep ya posted.

Update from the last update, trailered north last weekend and went to pull sled out of trailer and sled wouldn’t even turn over,pulled out the jumper cables and still nothing . In my frustration decided I was gonna pull the battery out of wife’s sled and started to loosen battery screws and wasn’t sure if they were tight or not when I was lossening so tightened them back up and sled cranked over fast and started. I have been on 2 trips before this and was turning over slow this whole time. Can’t believe this didn’t not start sooner.As in my case I think we cause some of these issues are selves. Not saying that there isn’t issues with these vipers tho.

The first guideline in troubleshooting is to check the obvious. Your battery connection being loose would account for some of your issues. Time will tell if there are any more things that this had a affect on. Thanks for the update.

Went on my first run last weekend with my 2018 viper (old flash) and I had hot start problems all through the trip. It was borderline embarrassing. Sled barely started at -22c as well on the last day. Would start and quit, try again until eventually it wouldn’t fire after backfiring.

Got the flash and while I haven’t left the sled overnight in that temp again, the hot starts are vastly improved. Before, it would try and start , then I’d have to shut the key off and try again. Normally when it did that, it would fire up instantly on that 2nd attempt. Now with the new flash, every warm start is 1-2 seconds, but seems very consistent. Idle is also very steady.

Can’t say I’ve had the sled long enough to really compare power or fuel mileage. Just happy this thing seems to start reliably now.

I’ve put on just over 1000km in the last week. Half without the latest flash, and half with it.

Small update. Left sled out overnight. Coolant temp was showing 0 degrees f. Was -18 celcius when I got up and tried it. Started perfect 1-2 seconds, no fuel pump priming. I’m happy now.

Back