• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Ecu flash for Yamaha Viper/Arctic cats 7000 w/POLL

Your experience with the December 2018 Viper ecu update

• Total voters
Small update. Left sled out overnight. Coolant temp was showing 0 degrees f. Was -18 celcius when I got up and tried it. Started perfect 1-2 seconds, no fuel pump priming. I’m happy now.
For Me cold starts have been pretty good. -20c showing on gauge yesterday and started first try. But hot start have been a hit a miss. Have seen up to 6 try once.

Who has notice after the lasts tune there sled is running hotter. Mine and my buddies sled both 2015 use to be between 70to 80 now80 to 90 or higher.

Who has notice after the lasts tune there sled is running hotter. Mine and my buddies sled both 2015 use to be between 70to 80 now80 to 90 or higher.
Took mine in because the hot starts got to be every time. They could find nothing but mechanic did mention he didn’t like how it was running hotter then “normal” when riding it. He never did get hot start to act up, of course. He bled system and checked it over well. Rode this past weekend. Did have one hot start issue and engine temps were unchanged. Who knows?

Mine is definitely leaner that it was and that'll heat it up. I'm turboed so I added fuel on the pcv. Helped alot

I've had a few hot starts that turn into 2 start attempts, but it still starts better, no backfires, and runs cleaner. Can't complain.

I put on 850 miles earlier this week. About half of it was done with the previous (call it 2 crank flash) and the other half with the Dec 2018 flash that I had done at Pat’s in Greenland on Monday.

Day 1 - Cold start at -7F and it took 3 crank attempts to get it to start. I was a bit worried. Warm starts the rest of the day were never an issue. Of course the idle loped like a funny car.
Day 2 - Cold start at -14F and it started on the first try. Warm starts were great and had the 2018 flash put in about half way through the day. After they flashed it, I heard them start it in the shop and I immediately knew it was idling much smoother. It also now does the hanging idle any time the throttle is blipped or you come down from high RPM’s. I also noticed that it seems to be much smoother around clutch engagement now. So much so that after day 1 I worked up a plan to order a soft start spring for the next trip, but I think I’m scrapping that plan after riding with the latest flash.
Day 3 - Cold start at -4F and it started on the first try. Warm restarts were always on the first attempt. The crank cycle is a beat longer, and when it does fire it sounds more labored but always started on first try.

This machine is completely stock intake, exhaust, clutching and I think that during a quick acceleration it will bounce off the rev limiter more now than it would with the last flash. I also hit a new top speed on trail after this flash (96 GPS) so the performance certainly hasn’t fallen off.

Now the not so good. I put it on the truck this morning and drove 600 miles home. When I went to unload, it was 30F and it actually took 2 crank attempts for the first time since the 2018 flash was put in. It didn’t backfire or anything, but it really didn’t sound anything like a clean start.

Overall, I’m quite happy with this new flash and wouldn’t hesitate to do it again.

Last edited:
If it has jumped out like mine was, the timing is off and likely over fueling and hard start when hot. You can pull primary, cover, etc and look to see if the alignment marks are out. I think that most of the problems people are having with new flash ( that are stock) are related to this issue.
Yes, correct. I saw one at the local cat dealer and it was out a LOT.
The special spline should be in line with the mark.

First serious cold start since the flash today. -28C overnight and around -23C when I started it. Fired up 1st try cranking slightly slower though probably due to being outside all night. It usually is in my garage where it is seldom lower than -3C. It was just fine and what one would expect. Thinking it is as close as it will get. The flash is about a month old.

Both mine and a friends sled have hot start issues now.

Got new flash last week, both sleds started first try twice recently. I noticed you can hear the fuel pump being a lot louder than before, like there is more power going to it or something. Anybody else notice this?

We are going on our last trip this weekend so we’ll see how well it starts throughout the days. It will be hovering around 0 degrees so there won’t be any really cold weather testing until next year unfortunately. So far they start better, idle smoother and way more consistent at 1450 with the odd jump up to 1500 rpm. I’m really hoping this is it!

I’ll let yas know how the weekend goes!

My dealer also told me to just let it idle for a bit right after the flash...not sure why, but I did anyways

After reading this and talking to Cannondale mine is heading in tomorrow for the update. Unfortunately I’ll probably have to wait till next year to try it.

Last edited:
Ours have started first try every time so far. Going down to -15 overnight tonight so I’ll report back on how well they start early morning. Start first try throughout the day also. And it kinda does feel like more power/torque.

Well, sleds fired right up this morning. -17 out. Started fine all day as expected. My sled definitely feels more responsive, haven’t tried the wife’s yet...maybe tomorrow. Sleds also run at normal temperature...72-74 degrees.

Back