• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Ecu flash for Yamaha Viper/Arctic cats 7000 w/POLL

Your experience with the December 2018 Viper ecu update

• Total voters
Just had my sled flashed. Talking the the mechanic he said the new flash programed the fuel pump to prime a little longer before start up. He said the fuel pump is not priming enough in cold weather to start it .. I will wait to see. He also said in the really cold weather to prime the fuel pump several times before even trying to start it. I guess I find out.

First weekend with the new flash update. I have a 2014 and 2015 LTX. Yamaha still has not figured this out. Clearly they don’t have a solution. They are trying to get it to the point to not destroy the starter but the result is a crappy starting process. Both of my sleds have different results.

My 2014 has had two blown starters. This new flash update now results in warm/hot starting issues. After sled has been running hot and I stop for gas or on trail it proceeds to turn over many times and not catch. This is random sometimes it starts and next time it doesn’t. It does seem to start better cold with one long crank. Overall, the starting of this sled sucks.

The new flash seems to be an improvement. Starts better cold and no hot start issues.
Try giving the 14 a touch of throttle on hot start when it cranks longer than normal and I bet it fires. My dealer has been trying to sort this out for s month. Tommorrow he is taking off primary to see if the stub in the crank is in the correct position?? This is what Cat has asked him to do?

Not sure what flash my 14 has in it. I left it in the trailer all week when we had crazy cold temps. Went out Saturday when it was around 15 turned the key and instantly started. I’ve yet to have any cold starting problems even when 10 below. Only issue was the old relays that I replaced.
Did you replace the fuel pump relay? If so do you have the part number? I would like to replace mine as well as it froze on me once.

Mine have worked flawless so far. Easy enough to change I let my son do it by watching a video posted by bikeman on YouTube. We used the video how to change plugs on the viper. Took him maybe 10 minutes.

Try giving the 14 a touch of throttle on hot start when it cranks longer than normal and I bet it fires. My dealer has been trying to sort this out for s month. Tommorrow he is taking off primary to see if the stub in the crank is in the correct position?? This is what Cat has asked him to do?
Update - dealer pulled off primary and crank cover to see if the “nub” has moved and and according to mechanic it had moved a 16th out of position and this as per Cat would cause hot starting issues as it will throw out timing, injectors, etc. So, we are going to replace and see what happens...... it is 13 in the pic.

Attachments

• FA1BEDAB-8DB9-429D-83EE-94892E733893.png
    FA1BEDAB-8DB9-429D-83EE-94892E733893.png
    222.2 KB · Views: 172
Update - dealer pulled off primary and crank cover to see if the “nub” has moved and and according to mechanic it had moved a 16th out of position and this as per Cat would cause hot starting issues as it will throw out timing, injectors, etc. So, we are going to replace and see what happens...... it is 13 in the pic.

It's not a mechanical problem. These problems are the result of a poorly designed ECU and electrical system. This engine has absolutely no issues with start up when controlled by a Yamaha ECU and programing.

Ok, update on flash. I have 2 2016 sleds that are late model build and both flashed with latest update and both sleds are completely different. Sleds have been sitting in enclosed trailer for last 5 days and went start them and wife’s Sled turns over fast and starts quickly which it did before update and mine since update turns over very slow and took 5 tries to get it to fire. I don’t understand how they can be so different when both batterys are fully charged and good.

I was told by a Canadian friend that a Yamaha dealer near Hamilton Ontario was doing the flash on the Viper and charging $100. Can anyone confirm this?
I got the ECM update at Kelly Cycle in Hamilton and it was covered by Yamaha.

My 2016 MTX with new flash no longer needs 2 starts when warm. Started right up at -20C, but haven't done any super cold starts with it yet. Happy so far.

Be nice if they had gotten this one right. Mine starts and runs good enough that I do not think I want to risk going backwards, as some seem to have....

Had the latest flash now for over 2 weeks and 1000km. today was the first time I had a hard start problem.
we were going for a ride Started the sled cold to take it out of the truck , started first try. Let the sled temp run up to 85c before shuting if off , normal running temp it 74c. Went back 20 min later to start the sled and it took about 5 or 6 tries. it would turn over very fast for about 2sec and then slowly turn. This went on for 4 + tries. left it for about 30 sec and it started right up.
Then we were up in the back country and my brothers sled with the same flash did the same thing.

I got 24000km on 2 different vipers and this is the first time I had a hard start problem.

Back