• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Ecu flash for Yamaha Viper/Arctic cats 7000 w/POLL

Your experience with the December 2018 Viper ecu update

• Total voters
I love my ZR 7000 El Tigre that I bought last winter but am wondering if I should have bought the 6000 instead due to all of the flash, cold start and backfire issues I am reading. My buddy has a 2007 Apex and has never had to worry about these issues. I did not have cold start issues last winter but also did not sled in extreme cold, I did purchase the new sealed relays for the fuel pump and ecu this past summer. The only issue I did have was a difficult warm start but only once, it took (3) tries to start
If your sled works fine now, I won't recommend reflashing it. Your warranty will most likely run out before you run into problems anyway. As you can see the odds aren't that good for improving the sled or not, so just stick to the one you have now.

I have no warranty, it is a 2015 and had a flash last Feb when I bought it. As mentioned I have no complaints with how it ran last season but more concern with seasons to come.
Too much tinkering with electronics is an accident waiting to happen. I will not get an updated flash for performance. Thanks for your input Norse

If your sled works fine now, I won't recommend reflashing it. Your warranty will most likely run out before you run into problems anyway. As you can see the odds aren't that good for improving the sled or not, so just stick to the one you have now.

I thought that with my 15 too...
...until the day the starter kicked back 3 times and then locked up. It took 21 teeth off the starter gear that ended up in the bottom of the engine. No warranty and dealer had to pull the engine to fish out the pieces. Very costly.

Get the updated flash.

So did my 2018 flash correct the kick back issue

I have no warranty, it is a 2015 and had a flash last Feb when I bought it. As mentioned I have no complaints with how it ran last season but more concern with seasons to come.
Too much tinkering with electronics is an accident waiting to happen. I will not get an updated flash for performance. Thanks for your input Norse
I thought that with my 15 too...
...until the day the starter kicked back 3 times and then locked up. It took 21 teeth off the starter gear that ended up in the bottom of the engine. No warranty and dealer had to pull the engine to fish out the pieces. Very costly.

Get the updated flash.
Ouch.. Reflashing helped fix the starter kickback? Haven't even heard of kickback issues because of a bad flash?

Ouch.. Reflashing helped fix the starter kickback? Haven't even heard of kickback issues because of a bad flash?

Yes, the newest flash is supposed to help keep them from doing the starter kickback. When my sled was repaired, it was mandatory to get the newest flash as well. I had originally thought I would just stay with my stock 15 flash since I was not having any problems. Then one day trying to unload it from my trailer (sled had 1200 miles on it), it kicked back 3 times and locked up.

The kickback took 21-teeth off my starter gear.
Missing 21 teeth.jpg

Does this flash update take the o2 sensor out of the picture, I have the p0130 code now, and the idle surges a bit....................

Does this flash update take the o2 sensor out of the picture, I have the p0130 code now, and the idle surges a bit....................

Yes, I removed the sensor and plugged the hole in the pipe on my 15 LTX. No codes

Question, do the dealerships charge to do the flashes? I called mine and forgot to ask about that part, but they said my 16 xtx LE, has one outstanding flash. It had the last one done but not the most current /recent. I assume this thread is applying to the most current flash and in that case I should do it?

Question, do the dealerships charge to do the flashes? I called mine and forgot to ask about that part, but they said my 16 xtx LE, has one outstanding flash. It had the last one done but not the most current /recent. I assume this thread is applying to the most current flash and in that case I should do it?
As far as i know the flash was free until Dec 5,2019. It is $115 plus tax at my dealer now that we have passed that date . I debated on getting it also but so far my machine runs good and my buddy that did his viper told me not to get it. His ran fine and after the flash would backfire. He ended up trading it in for a vk540. Every time i start this machine i wonder if its gonna grenade. i find it funny/strange how people actually are ok with this. not trying to stir things up here but i have had over 20,000 miles (4 different machines) on a different brand with only very minor setbacks. Were they perfect? no, but for 800 two strokes they were great. I bought this machine because of the price being so much cheaper then the other brand. i also wanted to get into a fourstroke. I have 1000 miles on the sled and i can honestly say im 90% sure i will be going back to the other brand. Mechanical seal failure on water pump, fuel smart valves not installed properly at the factory, oil in airbox if you fill according to dipstick, not knowing if it will grenade every time i turn the key, and this thing is harder on fuel then my direct injection 2 strokes were. Anyways i took a gamble on this machine and if it lets me down i will not be surprised. Its to bad because i love the rider position, super low range is awsome and turning radius of the machine is great. Sorry for the ramble.

Well when you start the sled, HOLD the key until you are SURE it is running. DONT let go of key when it first fires, KEEP cranking until you are sure its running. Does not hurt anything, just takes some getting used to. Its the only thing I have that starts this way.

Well when you start the sled, HOLD the key until you are SURE it is running. DONT let go of key when it first fires, KEEP cranking until you are sure its running. Does not hurt anything, just takes some getting used to. Its the only thing I have that starts this way.
Thanks, thats what i have been doing with it because of all the posts i have found online about this. So lucky to have these forums to share information. yesterday i went for a good ride on the sled and stopped the sled for about an hour. when i went to restart it i didn’t let the fuel pump completely prime and it just kept turning over with no fire. i didn’t want to let it go as i thought “this is it, the kick back” .. lol..let off and reprimed the pump and it fired right up. unfortunately i was infront of a big gang of non-arctic cat fans so there was a ton of smiles and chuckles

My first start of the year was very good. A year ago before the latest flash, it struggled and took 3 or 4 tries to get it running. This year I did the same routine and it fired first try and was running smoothly right away. I think the new flash is an improvement for cold starting. It was flashed in Feb 2019 and hasn't done anything strange yet.

Back