• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Ecu flash for Yamaha Viper/Arctic cats 7000 w/POLL

Your experience with the December 2018 Viper ecu update

• Total voters

Got the latest flash done today. Only took 10 minutes, dealer couldn’t tell me if there was any change to rev limit. They doubted any performance changes other than addressing ability to start better.

I fired it up a few times at dealer and at home. Seems to fire up quicker and just feels more crisp to me. Have not been able to ride so don’t have anymore I can share yet. Hope this resolves kickbacks, hot starts and two starts for all of us.

Rarely. I have a cabin in the UP where I ride. Here for Christmas.

Just talked my dealer here in Sweden, and the new flash is night and day difference, easy starting and idle perfect, seem like this problem i solved.
Going to flash my Viper XTX Turbo tomorrow.

I had my 2014 Viper RTX reflashed this morning with the latest update. This sled has always run flawlessly from the time I got it 2 years ago once it was warmed up. However; when starting cold after the 2016 flash, it would let out a heart stopping backfire occasionally and would be very hard to start below about -15C. After it started from cold, the engine sounded very labored and idle rpm would continuously vary. (engine hot and cold). Most times when starting at operating temp, it would take 2 attempts to get it running.
I have not had it out on the snow since this mornings reflash but have these observations. It cranked several times at -18C (O f) and started without an issue. It idled well cold and rpm's only varied by 10 between 1490 and 1500. I let it warm up on the trailer until the fan ran and then shut it off. The fan now runs quite a bit longer after the engine is shut off than before the latest flash but that's not an issue at all. I started it and shut it off (engine warm) several times at the dealer with single start on the key every time. I then took it home and the engine was cold again when I got there. I went through the start and warmup process again and it performed flawlessly. I then tried restarting it warm several times (warm) and it started first time every time. This would not have been the case before the reflash. One other thing I noticed is when I increase the throttle to just below clutch engagement rpms and then quickly release it, the engine slowly returns to idle speed whereas before it would drop very quickly to idle speed. (not an issue; just an observation)
Overall, I'm very happy with how this turned out and look forward to getting it out on the snow. Hopefully it still performs well. If this problem has actually been solved, I may go and buy a new one someday as I really like these sleds. If this flash turns out to be a dud, I am going to change teams. 5 years is long enough to wait for a solution.

Could this be the "ONE"?
Mine acts as thought this could be the ONE. Got to get it out on the snow to make sure the new flash hasn't had a negative effect on driveability but so far everything else seems to be cured. When I was in the shop at the dealer this morning, the mechanic in there pointed out 3 sleds he had in there with broken starters. He' going to pull the motors out of all 3 to get all the broken pieces out and Yamaha is paying for the repairs. It puzzles me that Yamaha doesn't contact Viper owners to have these flash updates done to reduce the repair expenses that Yamaha is having to perform.

Last edited:
I'm hoping the dealer here in SE Minnesota has it! They are doing some research to see if they can find anything out about it? I have had the random warm starting issues plus poor idle at times. Sucks having a newer sled than most in the group but it is hard to start. Thanks to everyone on this site! I have learned and done a lot with the help here!

Went for a 40km run after the flash today with my daughter (Viper is hers). The Sidewinder ran flawlessly as usual across the lake and on the shitty short section of trail. SW hit 200 kmh on the speedo which turned out to be 191.2 kmh or 119.25 mph on the GPS. The Viper ran better than it did last year with no hunting at idle and numerous 1st time starts even after full pull runs across the lake. She managed 167 kmh on the speedo so I'm guessing 100 mph real world speed. so far no complaints. Raining here now!:whine:

Back