• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New "Poll" am I the blown motor king of the Vipers?

How many motors have you blown

Votes: 4 20.0%

Votes: 2 10.0%

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Youve got to be kidding?

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters

Yamadog

Lifetime Member
So now that I have 2 blown Viper Motors under my belt should I move on and try to blow up a Winder?

I think we should also list the mileage the 14 was at 560 and the 15 was at 480.

What was the cause of the failures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we should also list the mileage the 14 was at 560 and the 15 was at 480.

Look on the bright side. It looks like you are getting better at it. You beat your old record by at least 80 miles! :D

Seriously though this time you don't have chunks and pieces (yet)

P.S. If you decide to go Sidewinder I know a guy looking for a deal on a turbo setup ;)

Your guess as good as mine the 14 started having issues at 5#'s of boost after just 150 or so mile and started to drop cylinders then back to normal. was running 6#"s with a blend of race fuel when it blew throught the cylinder walls. This one has timing pulled by EVO Flash and has always been run at 7 #'s with upgraded fuel pump, 4th injector and at leas 2 gals of 110 race fuel with 8 of 91 or better pump gas. I am hoping it is just a head gasket on this one.

Look on the bright side. It looks like you are getting better at it! :D

Seriously though this time you don't have chunks and pieces (yet)

If you decide to go Sidewinder I know a guy looking for a turbo setup ;)

I have an appointment with a sled doctor for Monday I hope just gasket but will be doing arp studs and new gasket maybe made out of melibdium, Kryptonite or some other material designed in the Viper cave!!!!!!!!! Thanks about the getting better at it knock but not actually the head gasket started on the 14 at 150 miles but all of the Turbo Gods of the day said no way just ride it.... Thanks Pat Hauck!

I would think that a properly installed OE gasket with studs to anchor the head securely should serve you well.

One thing I might recommend for those running a turbo is a 1 in 1 out stud job as preventative measure.

Well in 02 when the RX 1 came out and they said motor is unbreakable..... I blew one up at 7,000 miles. only mod was a gyt-r-done pipe from hauck and new oil and filter every fall. Then built a stroked apex motor and put it in that chassis yrs later and guess what? Kablooey that was Hauck fault though he made the crank and it split in half! So when the Viper cam out and all my friends were running Nytro's with superchargers I was told they will last forever! So in I went Ta-Da!

Cannot wait to get the 14 Viper back after almost 1.5 yrs from Allen I will probably blow that up also!

I had a head gasket go on mine at 5-6 psi in the first 500 miles, started pushing coolant. After that it slowly got built to where it is now as a decompressed engine with bigger injectors. According to everyone I've talked with, the setup should run safely on pump gas at 12 psi...so just for good measure I set it at 10 psi and am enjoying just riding it. It's efficient, it's fast and it's very safe so not going to be pushing any limits with it.

I've got 1, took about 2000 miles at 6.5-7 psi. Detonation got mine. Called Matt at MPI just to hear what he thought prior disassembly, he acted like he had never heard of someone EVER getting deto at 7psi or under. Further more he told me that they run a YXZ at 10psi not decompressed all the time on pump gas. Back and fourth to work, food runs or whatever. He had no explanation or thoughts for me.

I feel with: perfect pump fuel, 12.2 or lower afr and low coolant temps sub 165* that 6.0 psi is the ABSOLUTE highest without decompressing. Can it take short bursts of a little more psi, sure. But not as a true trail ridden long haul sled.

Last edited:
I've got 1, took about 2000 miles at 6.5-7 psi. Detonation got mine. Called Matt at MPI just to hear what he thought prior disassembly, he acted like he had never heard of someone EVER getting deto at 7psi or under. Further more he told me that they run a YXZ at 10psi not decompressed all the time on pump gas. Back and fourth to work, food runs or whatever. He had no explanation or thoughts for me.

I feel with: perfect pump fuel, 12.2 or lower afr and low coolant temps sub 165* that 6.0 psi is the ABSOLUTE highest without decompressing. Can it take short bursts of a little more psi, sure. But not as a true trail ridden long haul sled.

Are these lower boost setups pulling any timing? Usually engines designed to run on 87 can run 6psi boost, 11.5-12.0 AFR on 91 WITH 1* of timing pulled per psi and not have any issues. If they are not pulling timing I can see detonation happening and killing head gaskets or worse. Looking to pick up a Viper and plan on adding a low boost turbo down the road so I've been watching and learning, Built many turbo/supercharged vehicles.

I blew up my 14 in December of 13 and Matt was well aware of it. and as a matter of fact if when it first started dropping cylinders, If Matt or Pat Hauck would have said it is a motor issue bring it in it would have saved me probably $5000 minimum. both said no way its motor it must be ECU! Then when it blew Pat Hauck opened it up and said oh yeah look in the corner there I have a ton of blocks from supercharged Nytros that did that! :o|

Back