• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New ski-doo

Maybe they drive the sleds in the fire and give up
Lol
Could/should be a doo add. Keep them barely visible. Could trigger nausea at first sight. However, I cant say much for the new Cataclysmic. YamaCrosses are the best looking sleds on snow.

Maybe they drive the sleds in the fire and give up
Lol
Lol....Yamaha could never get it right. When the world went triples they went twin. And when the world went twins, Yamaha went triples. Talking about their reg line up in the 90's
Just something about them says, "never say die." I honestly don't get it. Lol.
You would think with the new $20g sled market, they'd consider coming back.
What's to invest?!?! A new chassis? Nothing to them. Keep it simple....
998 non turbo - done
998 turbo - easily done
850/900 2s (turbo) 6months?!?!
same chassis for all three power plants with subtle changes to make them their own.

Yes I agree & they don't have a noisy #*$&@ clutch! I have a 2022 Sidewinder LTX GT EPS & clutch sounds like a machine gun!
The brake rotor rattling on my doo is way louder than the clutch was on my winder. This has been an issue for years just like the electronic reverse that has broken on every Doo I've ever seen with it.

The brake rotor rattling on my doo is way louder than the clutch was on my winder. This has been an issue for years just like the electronic reverse that has broken on every Doo I've ever seen with it.
A Cummins Turbo Diesel sticker on the sidewinder stops all questions about the diesel clatter!

This is the problem with these new gauges. They are not reliable. I have heard of more problems with these new gauge set ups than any of the older ones. Who wants to be fiddling with a gauge cluster all the time?
I do think CAT/Yamaha need a new gauge, just not at the cost of reliability.
Personally, give me some big faced dials/needles and let the rest of the stuff be in the background.
Dont make me scroll through different screens to see what I want or what is considered essential like fuel, engine temp.
I would not be surprised if Cat partners with Garmin for their new gauge. I have the Garmin unit on my Tcat sold as an accessory and it works flawlessly with the cat gauge. If cat is smart they should build a new co-branded gauge with Garmin.

Well Garmin does partner with Textron on some planes. I highly doubt cat has been able to access textrons vast resources though.

I would not be surprised if Cat partners with Garmin for their new gauge. I have the Garmin unit on my Tcat sold as an accessory and it works flawlessly with the cat gauge. If cat is smart they should build a new co-branded gauge with Garmin.
OR, with Yamaha on a gauge. Look through what Yamaha already has across the board in their motorsports division and see what works for a snow application.
A gauge like what is on the R1 is attractive to me.
img.jpg

OR, with Yamaha on a gauge. Look through what Yamaha already has across the board in their motorsports division and see what works for a snow application.
A gauge like what is on the R1 is attractive to me.
img.jpg
Relevant info, user friendly, visually appealing and well tested. The big Y has such a wealth of fantastic and tested tech it can pull from throughout it’s Motorsports division, makes it all the more frustrating that the Snowmobile division is in the position it’s been put in currently. SMH

Definitely useful to see riding buddies on a screen
How is this even a thread. It’s nothing new but juggling a few engines and parts. Wow! How easily the idle are distracted. I own one of these turds and it’s by far no better than my winder.
I have a 22 Backcounty XRS. Haven't put much miles on it but its no Winder. On the other hand its better for a crossover because its light and practically disposable (for $15K). The Winder is like a BMW M7 while the BCXRS is like a Subaru Crosstrek. Because we've been out west mountain riding the past 3 seasons I have only ridden rented and borrowed 2 stroke Skidoos and between 3 seasons 2 trips each with 8 sleds including 4 turbo 2 strokes we haven't as much as changed a belt. Even so, while I'm not in a position to spring order this year ain't no way I would spring order one of these flat land turbos on the first year. Kudos to Yamaha for the 998T setting the bar and the other mfgs to step up and swing away.

Tuning a turbo is one of the best reasons to own a turbo. 3 of our turbo skidoos got tuned and 1 just would not take the tune, so back to stock tune.

Skidoo and I think Polaris offer the fancy gauge as an option and I chose the simple one for my 22. Its sensible for AC and Y to offer similar options - cheap gauge OR hi-tech widescreen. Honestly, the mfgs or a 3rd party system should be set up and become more used that allows you to know where your riding buddies are and keep track of them. I'm totally down with that. Think Ken Block or any other circumstance like that.

Not sure why these threads keep popping up in the Winder section tho. We can look forward to next season waiting most of the season for a singular questionable 998T-killer phantom menace race gas Renegade supposed blowing away a 998T.

I hate to say but Yamaha will never make their own sled again. I'm also tired of 8 years of the same machine besides BNG and power steering. I pulled the trigger on an 850 turbo. I personally think it will give my SW a run for it's money. Worst case it will be closer than my wife's 850. Change is good but I'm not giving up the SW yet.

This new Doo looks like they added a bunch of expensive stuff to a disposable engine to gain 15hp, stupid.

This new Doo looks like they added a bunch of expensive stuff to a disposable engine to gain 15hp, stupid.
And the 15hp is guaranteed!!!! So long as the meth is pumping. Once it's out.... you're back to 165hp.

Last edited:

Back