• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New top gear & Drive axle on 2022 sidewinders

Anti seize or else...this guy was trying the lock up method. lol

252813241_10167005264610487_811127052620459072_n.jpg

Last edited:

So it looks like they changed the bushing material on the gear, added some surface material to the Upper Driveshaft i:e Jackshaft then hardened the Driveshaft.

Sorry, i'm not convinced here. Hope i'm wrong.
If the bearing is still loose and "harder", it's now gonna eat the bearing.
The skinny top gear with all that weight/ force on it is gonna eat through this "coating" like the shaft used to eat through the gear coating.
The DMC has a much wider surface to spread the "weight". That's the fix.
The bearing needs to be snug then locked somehow.

I hope this helps cuz in 2 years, i'll be buying a new sled.
It just means they didn't want to put too much effort into this as they're busy with the totally revamped Winder 2.0 for 2023

After looking at all the previously posted pics/comments,my one and done anti- rotation pin,slotted inner race,with a better bearing ,still looks like a long term fix.My Yamaha dealer did not want to revisit this issue every year.Good luck. He accepts used shafts for refurbishment,pin installation, with a bearing slotted inner race.Franks motorcycle sales/service .1-802-878-3930

Attachments

• D5D4CA96-412A-4642-9A1A-30F5F5296704.jpeg
    D5D4CA96-412A-4642-9A1A-30F5F5296704.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 162
After looking at all the previously posted pics/comments,my one and done anti- rotation pin,slotted inner race,with a better bearing ,still looks like a long term fix.My Yamaha dealer did not want to revisit this issue every year.Good luck. He accepts used shafts for refurbishment,pin installation, with a bearing slotted inner race.Franks motorcycle sales/service .1-802-878-3930
Very interested in this! I will be looking into this after this season as I have 2 that I want done.. What's he charging for this?

What is so bad about the Peer, a SKF company, bearing? 6500 miles and my bearing was fine. Just spun.
New shaft in 2020, new bearing, BOP wedge began to lock at 20ftlbs, clicked it to 40ftlbs, and done.
Did this on both sleds.
If the new 2020 shaft was machined any tighter it would have been a press fit.
You're saying the 2021 shafts are machined loose?
It's not the bearings fault if the mfg can't machine to spec.
None are or have ever been press fit from factory unless there was unicorn somewhere.
Too hard to mass assemble on assy line and too hard to disassemble (service event) if pressed which is why it isn't.
IMO, BOP wedge should still work and still be used unless you do one of the other fixes.

Attachments

• failed track shaft bearing1.1.jpg
    failed track shaft bearing1.1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 162
  • failed track shaft bearing2.1.jpg
    failed track shaft bearing2.1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 120
  • failed track shaft bearing3.1.jpg
    failed track shaft bearing3.1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 125
  • failed Track shaft bearing4.1.jpg
    failed Track shaft bearing4.1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 122
Some are tighter then others no doubt about it.. My second shaft that was replaced under warranty was very good clearance if there is such a thing. This 22 is a different story, but with that being said with a wedge from ZERO MILES i have a chance at preventing wear/slippage.. But what concerns me the most is the guy that does nothing to address it from the factory..

Some are tighter then others no doubt about it.. My second shaft that was replaced under warranty was very good clearance if there is such a thing. This 22 is a different story, but with that being said with a wedge from ZERO MILES i have a chance at preventing wear/slippage.. But what concerns me the most is the guy that does nothing to address it from the factory..
Agreed. How do we get the word out that Every ProCross chassis sled should be brought in for warranty service?
Then maybe Yamaha, Arctic Cat, and Textron will wake up and address the issue.
The chaincase side spins too. Just not as bad. Why? Why does only the caliper side spin so bad?

Very interested in this! I will be looking into this after this season as I have 2 that I want done.. What's he charging for this?
To spray weld and machine a used driveshaft (shaft sent to him) for anti rotation pin installation,and to provide a modified upgraded bearing with the inner race slotted,was $180 ,shipping extra .service advisor is Kamran Pelkey

To spray weld and machine a used driveshaft (shaft sent to him) for anti rotation pin installation,and to provide a modified upgraded bearing with the inner race slotted,was $180 ,shipping extra .service advisor is Kamran Pelkey
Thanks for info! That's reasonable!

Agreed. How do we get the word out that Every ProCross chassis sled should be brought in for warranty service?
The chaincase side spins too. Just not as bad. Why? Why does only the caliper side spin so bad?

Chaincase side is bathed in oil, minimizing the wear to the shaft. The outer seal holds the oil in on the chain case side.

Caliper bearing has grease in it = more drag and resistance to turning. Chain case bearing has oil in it = less drag = less resistance to turning. Keep in mind it's the shaft that's spinning in the bearing, not the bearing spinning on shaft.

Back