• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Not startling, at normal temps 15-20 degrees

I seen a post where a guy pulled his injectors and soaked them in wd 40 , I still don’t understand why it only does it in the cold???????????

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn it to RUN (not start). I'm not sure if the updated red fuel pump relay was being installed by 2011. Check the relays for a red one.

Edit: NVM, saw you post that said it did work.

Long shot... Was this sled always yours? If you bought it used, do you know if the ECU was ever replaced? My son had the same problem on his 09 Phazer and would only start with starting fluid. Turned out he replaced the ECU with one from an 07 that didn't have the cold weather update and took forever to start. Proper ECU fixed that. Check for the proper ECU part number. Should be 8GN on it. If you see 8GC, it's the older one.

It says 8 GN , fuel pump kicks on for probably 3 seconds then shuts off, I cycle the pump/key like 3-4 times , that’s when I turn the key. I went outside when it warmed up a little bit (19 degrees) and it fired right up lol I think this sled doesn’t like me. I looked at the relays and there is NOT a red one . But it’s still sending power to the pump, with it not being the red one could it not be sending enough power?

Have you downloaded the service manual for your sled? I was having a random low speed driveability issue with one of my 2010 Phazers. It would buck, kick, backfire occasionally and stall out. Half throttle and above it always worked great. I suspected a faulty TPS (throttle position sensor) but there was no lights or codes flashing on the display ever. I put the display into diagnostic mode to check sensor readings. The TPS had a bad spot in the 1/4 throttle region (it would read 30% then drop to 5% briefly) but since the readings were still within acceptable perimeters the ECU never set a code. I also checked the intake and coolant temp sensor readings which were right in spec. One of those could be going bad causing your engine to flood out. FYI, the readings are in Celsius.

But it’s still sending power to the pump, with it not being the red one could it not be sending enough power?

It's possible or maybe you didn't notice if it ran or not when it was cold. I know it was always a problem whenever temps went below -15c or so. The part number is 8GN-81950-00-00. Worth a shot.

I ordered it, it did the same thing this morning again it’s about -3 out. I talked to a few other people yesterday and they want me to check fuel pressure to the injectors to see if it is the pump. I’ve researched and cannot find what the fuel pressure is supposed to be? Do you guys know off hand? Thanks again!

In my manual for the 07, it says 47.2 psi with engine running. In the section for testing the fuel pressure regulator, with no vacuum, the pressure should be higher and with increasing vacuum lower.

Hi guys back again with a update, changed out the coolant temp sensor, that didn’t do anything, Took out my injectors and cleaned them and that didn’t fix it either . changed out the air intake sensor and it fired right up today !!but it’s also 25 degrees out! I’m going to leave it outside tonight it’s supposed to get down cold (13) again and I’m going to try to start it in the morning. Is it possible that that sensor could’ve been bad and not throw a service code??

Possible, especially if it was reporting the wrong temp. It's a common thing in automotive that temp sensors go bad and give a wrong reading. I imagine that could affect the amount of fuel that is given to start.

If you enter the diagnostic mode on the gauge cluster, you can view the temp sensor readings (coolant and air intake) to see if they are in spec at any given time. The readings are in celsius. This is super easy to do and saves time and $$ replacing sensors randomly.

Went out this morning 13 degrees and still will not run....I’m getting frustrated now, I really have no idea....is there any other sensors I could check in diagnostic mode that would cause this issue?

I suggested you check the fuel pump pressure earlier. Has this been done? Maybe the fuel pump or pressure regulator don't like the cold and don't produce the proper pressure.

However, you also tried starting fluid and it didn't start neither. Have you tried using a second battery or a booster pack? Maybe the battery is marginal and the ECU may not like the lower voltage. I'm also thinking stuff shrinks in the cold. If there's a poor connection somewhere, like at the ECU, it may be worse in the cold. Pull the ECU connector and spray it and the ECU pins with contact cleaner. Check to see what they look like.

Yup checked the fuel pressure it’s at 75 psi in the cold , have not messed with the regulator yet. Battery is putting out 10.6 v when cranking in the cold. Any way to check the regulator?? Tia

I would be more concerned for low pressure but that seems high. Running, it should be around 47 psi. Try putting a vacuum to the pressure regulator's vent hose. Pressure should be lower then. Was 75 psi with the engine running? Maybe there's moisture in the regulator and when it's cold, it freezes and can't regulate the pressure. If the pressure is too high, it might be too much for the injectors to overcome. However, when you tried starting fluid, it didn't work.

I'm also starting to run out of ideas here.
Banghead.gif

I'm also starting to run out of ideas here.
Banghead.gif
Mooseman

Went out this morning 13 degrees and still will not run....I’m getting frustrated now, I really have no idea....is there any other sensors I could check in diagnostic mode that would cause this issue? Todd Blank

So here is my Hail Mary. Buddy has a 2021 Scandik that may or may not start in the cold. Took it to the dealer and it wouldn't start at -11C to unload. He had dragged it on at home.
Problem was a sensor ground problem, obviously intermittent. Intermittent is not my favorite word when it comes to things electrical/electronic.

Back