• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Observations-ECP-K+N's, RX-1, clutching

KnappAttack

24X ISR World Drag Racing Champion
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2023 Sidewinder LTX-LE
2017 Sidewinder LTX-LE
After reading all the things here lately I feel compeled to comment about a few things. For those who don't know me I am Mike Knapp and I have been drag racing Snowmobiles for 23 yrs. Man I'm showing my age here! I have 24 ISR world championship titles to attest to and am the current world record holder on the asphalt with a e.t. of 8.60 seconds and a 154 MPH speed with my v-max4. Some of you that get Snow Week may have seen or heard of me from there. Generally, I wouldn't get on a forum because I am way to busy tuning and racing, and I don't have time to answer all the questions that arive from them. Nevermind I type with one finger at a time! (Typing is not one of my strong suits).However, this forum seems packed with very nice individuals with alot of very good information. I think I could learn a great deal from the members of this forum! Everyone must keep an open mind at all times if you are going to learn anything. With that, I see a few complaints of top speed with Freddies ECP air kits. I can tell you that I run his kits on my RX-1's with no top end problems whatsoever. A few things I have come up with is the amount of miles on the machine itself. I have noticed that they work better on a machine with more miles. Guys, these four strokes continue to get stronger with miles. It is my opinion that they don't reach full potental untill 3000 miles or more. In fact they are disapointing the first 1000 miles. Another thing is the clutching. I see alot of you are changing this and changing that. Anybody see the rings on your drive or driven when you start lighting your weights to run more RPM? There are a ton of variables with a trail sled that comes into play when you are looking at the dream meter. Snow conditions, studing, track tension, gearing, clutching, carbides, etc. etc. I have tested with and without them and can tell you they are what Freddie claims them to be. They accelerate the machine faster! If the don't on your machine, there is a reason that they don't. There is no loss on top in the testing that I have done. The problem for the top end loss could be from a few small things. Like a choke hanging open. If you tightend the screw on the #2 carb that holds the choke cable on so it hed the choke linkage open it could be a problem! If the linkage is open at all it WILL NOT let the slide open completely! What about the small ruber o-ring on top of the carb and under the slide top, it is a small overlooked item that may fall out before you put the top back on after replacing the springs! It will also prevent the slide from opening all the way. These things need to be checked if your not reaching MPH! Attention to detail will make the difference. Good Luck and hope you get things working to your liking. Ya gotta love the RX-1! Mike Knapp #17

ps. I see I'm a newbie now. I love it! Why is the time wrong on my post? Its 9:30, not 3:30! Happy trails!

Thanks, just tweaking that in now. Mike

All times are posted in GMT so I don't think we will all be on the same page as far as time zones are concerned. It is now 4:20 GMT, 11:20 southern ontario time, with the sun shinning, a 4" crusty layer of crappy snow on the ground with rain in the forcast for the weekend. Winter does suck in southern ontario. :cry:

Mike,
Great to see someone with your knowledge and racing experience on this
site!! Watched you asphalt race your V-Max 4 in Cedar Falls, Ia about 4-5 years ago. In one word, INCREDIBLE!! That sled rocked! You'll be pleased to see the interaction between RX-1 owners on this forum, everyone out to get the most out of their machines. Welcome to the best forum on the web for RX-1 information.

Mike,

Great to see such a legend on our site. Welcome. I have followed your career for a long time and have nothing but respect for what you have meant to the drag racing world. Incredible that guys are still chasing you. Jeff Simon tells it best, You sleds are always ready and capable to beat any and all comers at any time. Hope you enjoy the site as much as the rest of us.

Matt Habada
Owner
The Speed Shop

Welcome to the site...

Im a legend to .......In my own mind :lol:

Just kidding...

Glad to see someone with alot of experence on here...

Do you race your rx-1??

Great to have you part of Totallyamaha!!!!

I am very honored to have such a great talent part of this forum. The people here are some of the best on the net and we like to keep things on the level and under control. If I can help you in anyway, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Tom
Owner/Webmaster
Totallyamaha.com & RX1.info

Sure Mike...watch me struggle for a month and then throw me a lifesaver (by posting something) once I am safely on shore! :lol:

Mike has had my kits for a long time now and he and I talk somewhat often. I didn't want to be the one to have to come on here and say "BUT MIKE KNAPP ISN'T HAVING ANY PROBLEMS".

Sometimes ya just gotta hear it from other people other than the ones marketing and selling the product or service. I didn;t ask Mike to post anything here.

Thanks Mike.

Freddie

Welcome Mike, I am always willing to learn, from someone who's been there and done that. This is a good bunch of guys on here always willing to help. (Later)

Hey Mike thanks for jumping on the site. I look forward to reading about your Turbo Chraged RX-1

I have a Turbo on my sled. A small company "Lightning Pro" in Traverse City Michigan Built it with me.

Any information on this subject will be greatly appreciated.

Question: Why didn't you make it to the world series with your RX-1? Is Yamaha supporting your Turbo Effort???

I was in Kalkaska when you beat Bill Cudneys pro 1000 with the vmaxx4. I loved it man!!!!!

Hey Mike, glad to see you here. Could you email me your number or just email me. I have some questions for you. aulmer@yahoo.com

Allen

Back