• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

**Official Clutch Rattle Removal Thread w/ Pics**

The water trick looks cool. I guess we can't tip our sleds over that far.

fxnytroxtx said:
Started my sled today and finally NO MORE RATTLE!!!

thats great to hear ,

i had a hard time trying to buy a puller , shitty day to say the least

well i went and got a clutch puller today from the local yamaha dealer , i should say NOT the dealer closest to me , like 5 mins from my house , they can go screw themselves , i'll never step into that shop again and i'll tell everyone i know to stay clear of the yamaha and polaires Cycle Works dealer in okotoks alberta , they had one but wouldn't let me use it , even after me offering to give them like $200 cash for a deposit to use it for 30 mins and bring straight back as i live only 4 mins from that shop , even offered to buy it outright , Nope , i was a little pissed to say the least ,

as i walked out i thought of the money i have spent in that shop in the last year on parts and stuff alone , funny when you think of it , i'll never grace the steps of that shop again , and i can say i'm sure my buds will pass also after this ,

SO i drove 45 mins to another shop after chatting with them on the phone , let me say a big thanks to the yamaha shop of '' WALT HEALEY''in calgary , was not any trouble from them to lend it out , i had to give him a $100 cash deposit till i take it back in the morning , i see nothing wrong with that , i have bought stuff from Walts shop before , and from now on he will be getting all my money

i tried the rubber o-rings by itself first , never made any differance to me , same old loud rattle , next off came the belt , clutch came off easy with the tool , everything came out easy , i black mark everything just so i know myself it all went back in straight , to clean my groves i used Q-tips , worked really easy , 20 mins and she was bolted back up , now she's sitting for 2 days befor i start it ,

anyone know what the torque is on that main clutch bolt , i just tighten it down as tight as i could get it to seat it on real good , then i backed if off and just did a good snug up on it again ,

can't wait to hear it

Mtnviper said:
Hey Dutchie,

Torque spec on the primary clutch bolt is tighten to 85 ft lbs, then back off the bolt untill its loose. Then re-torque to 43 ft lbs.

Bill

Bill
thanks , just the info i needed , i think i did about just the same thing , super tight to seat it on good , then i backed it off and just put a good snug on it , will see how it works out for me after 2 days off drying

10ml should be good. Doesn't take much to fill the splines.

On a side note, we got a touch of snow past few days so I took my sled out for a rip around the yard. I have studs this year so it was hooking really well on the soft grass. Gave it a few hard WOT from stop to test and load up the stub shaft/loctite and everything is fine.

Its so nice listening to just the exhaust at idle now.

Now that I know the rattle can fixed, the more annoying the rattle has become. I was out for a ride and I couldn't believe my ears how crappy it sounds. Especially with my foam ripped out and vented.

Beenba said:
10ml should be good. Doesn't take much to fill the splines.

On a side note, we got a touch of snow past few days so I took my sled out for a rip around the yard. I have studs this year so it was hooking really well on the soft grass. Gave it a few hard WOT from stop to test and load up the stub shaft/loctite and everything is fine.

Its so nice listening to just the exhaust at idle now.

Cool, thanks Beenba ;)!

So does this make the shaft permenant mor can it still be taken out later if need be without to much trouble. New to the yamaha 4 stroke and I have 2 that I was thinking about doing this mod.

Please read through the thread I have covered this. It requires heat to remove and likely disassembly of entire engine.

:rocks:

I left mine for 4 days to dry in my garage , as i was going away for xmas to be with family , i used the red perma from NAPA , got home tonight , slipped on the belt , started it up , it was super smooth and hardly a whisper from it , not even a small little rattle or ding or knock

i could not believe it , even my wife said holly smokes it's so smooth , and i did it with the whole panel of , all i could hear was the muffler

a big thanks to you Beenba for doing such a good post , and also a big thanks to the guys who came up with it

and like what was said in this whole thread , I can't ever see it having to come off except on a tear down for a rebuild and these 4 strokes last longer then us ,

very happy with my sled tonight

Back