• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil separator, major problem!

Someone who knows exactly what happens when it freezes? If the ball in the separator freezes and oil pushed backwards through the separator and in the air intake? Couple of seconds after cold start and my air intake and intercooler was full with oil.

Oil separator explained.jpg~2.jpeg

Someone who knows exactly what happens when it freezes? If the ball in the separator freezes and oil pushed backwards through the separator and in the air intake? Couple of seconds after cold start and my air intake and intercooler was full with oil.

View attachment 145518
this just happened to me what a mess on a cold start what a mess did your engine suck a lot of oil ? how did you clean it out ? mine did .

this just happened to me what a mess on a cold start what a mess did your engine suck a lot of oil ? how did you clean it out ? mine did .

I'm running turbo. I clean out the intercooler and everything, what a mess.

I found a picture of the new updated oilseparator. The right one in picture. It better to drain out moisture.

FB_IMG_1549145821960~2.jpg

Don't forget to clean that box out every year when you do your oil change. It's always venting to atmosphere so with the hot and cold cycles throughout the season it's going to collect moisture no matter what. Take it off and spray lots of WD-40 in it and a bit of compressed air back and forth and watch what comes out. If you're using a rollover valve same procedure on that while you have everything apart. Oil, oil filter, chain case service , airbox cleaning and rollover valve cleaning at the same time yearly!

Don't forget to clean that box out every year when you do your oil change. It's always venting to atmosphere so with the hot and cold cycles throughout the season it's going to collect moisture no matter what. Take it off and spray lots of WD-40 in it and a bit of compressed air back and forth and watch what comes out. If you're using a rollover valve same procedure on that while you have everything apart. Oil, oil filter, chain case service , airbox cleaning and rollover valve cleaning at the same time yearly!
Good advice! For Oil Seperator I just use some Dawn Dish Soap and hot water. Let it dry out after the air lightly sprayed. That thing is disgusting everytime.

I'm running turbo. I clean out the intercooler and everything, what a mess.
I hope you aren't implying that this PCV oil / vapor separator is plumbed into your intercooler? If so, that means under boost it is also back-feed pressurizing the oil tank and crankcase, both of which are never designed to be pressurized...

I hope you aren't implying that this PCV oil / vapor separator is plumbed into your intercooler? If so, that means under boost it is also back-feed pressurizing the oil tank and crankcase, both of which are never designed to be pressurized...

No. The hose from oil separator goes to turbo air intake, then through the turbo and in intercooler.

Gonna rebuilt everything after the season with new filter and catch tank.

When it is really cold or when the risk of freezing is high, I start and warm it up with oil caps lock opened. So you let out the vent pressure in oil tank (If the ball in separator is froozen.)

When it is really cold or when the risk of freezing is high, I start and warm it up with oil caps lock opened. So you let out the vent pressure in oil tank (If the ball in separator is froozen.)

There is always someone thinking around here.

Does anyone know if the updated version of the oil separator is an automatically superseded part number at this point for a 2014 Viper? A lot of sleds in the family go through my garage and I'd like to keep a fresh clean one ready for rotation. Just want to make sure I'm ordering the right one moving forward...

Does anyone know if the updated version of the oil separator is an automatically superseded part number at this point for a 2014 Viper? A lot of sleds in the family go through my garage and I'd like to keep a fresh clean one ready for rotation. Just want to make sure I'm ordering the right one moving forward...
Should be but to be sure order with correct part #.

following! Just had a ride up north this past week and oil in the Viper was dripping out all over in the belly. I'm guessing it puked into the airbox and dripped out. Once warmer temps came all was good.

Back