• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Out the hood cold air intake!

View attachment 129043 View attachment 129042 Here is an out the hood cold air intake for the off trail guys! It allows the hood to be opened up for more cooling and hood removal only takes 10sec longer than without it has quick disconnects on the pcv and intake sensor lines and a wing nut hose clamp on the elbow! Here are a couple of pics!
Can it be turned and be an under hood cold air kit?

Wow, I wouldn't have thought the plumbing under the hood would be 8 lbs.
Gosh,i cant see how the stock airbox weighs anywhere near that,i fact I would almost bet my CAI under the hood,weighs as much as stock,i have my stock box off,i guess I could weigh it.

Gosh,i cant see how the stock airbox weighs anywhere near that,i fact I would almost bet my CAI under the hood,weighs as much as stock,i have my stock box off,i guess I could weigh it.

The air box is only half the weight. There is duct work under the hood that most people removed with the air box.

The air box is only half the weight. There is duct work under the hood that most people removed with the air box.

And that weighs nothing.

CAI, or I should really say warm underhood air intake, does not really take any weight off at all.

And that weighs nothing.

CAI, or I should really say warm underhood air intake, does not really take any weight off at all.
I keep waiting to see someone like AK or Travis make a box of some sort that seals the filter element of the CAI to the area where the duct is. Pretty common in car CAI's and there seems like there'd be just enough room to build one - it could be open at the top against the hood, just needs to block the bottom and side facing the engine and get the cold air from that vent straight to the CAI. Only issue I can see is that it would be an absolute must to then also add vents by the clutch since you'd be significantly reducing fresh air into and around the clutch side of the sled.

Something like this
63-1561.jpg

Art, we think alike. I was looking at my Volant CAI on my truck & thinking same thing.
I can't play until i get my sled back though

If someone was good with sheet metal I don't think it's that tough of a job. Unfortunately I am not good with sheet metal . . . Cardboard and duct tape, now there I'm a friggin artisan.

If someone was good with sheet metal I don't think it's that tough of a job. Unfortunately I am not good with sheet metal . . . Cardboard and duct tape, now there I'm a friggin artisan.
Ya Hoo Art,yup I to like your idea.

OK ARTisan Art, duct tape one together then send me pics & dimensions. I'll weld one up at my buds' shop then see how it fits when my sled comes back.
This could be fun even though i'll be keeping mine stock.

What makes up the 17lbs then? The headlight is 3lb, guage is 1lb.
Hi Kinger,where did you get an amount of weight of 17lbs from? I have not seen weight numbers,other than weighing the complete sled.

OK ARTisan Art, duct tape one together then send me pics & dimensions. I'll weld one up at my buds' shop then see how it fits when my sled comes back.
This could be fun even though i'll be keeping mine stock.
As long as I can use a hammer and WD-40 too, it'll turn out great. I was actually kidding about the cardboard, but now I think I might try it, a lot more could be done with plastic (molding around the intake tube for example) but even a sheet metal one would be better than what we have - and a lot less likely to cause a lean condition like Knapp found on his out the hood.

As long as I can use a hammer and WD-40 too, it'll turn out great. I was actually kidding about the cardboard, but now I think I might try it, a lot more could be done with plastic (molding around the intake tube for example) but even a sheet metal one would be better than what we have - and a lot less likely to cause a lean condition like Knapp found on his out the hood.
I wonder what Mike got for A/F numbers,not that I have a lot of time to stare at my a/f gauge though.

Havent any of you guys just tried running with the Sidepanel and airbox lid off? NosPro did that first week he had his sled. Easy reversible experiment.

What makes up the 17lbs then? The headlight is 3lb, guage is 1lb.

I don't know what your talking about. You said CAI would save 8lbs. CAI saves nothing for weight even taking off the little bit of plastic on the hood. The airbox and CAI is a wash weight wise or very close to it. Not even worth talking about.

I wonder what Mike got for A/F numbers,not that I have a lot of time to stare at my a/f gauge though.

Pete, I was seeing 12.8-12.9 AFR on the data logging with the filter out the front of the hood using the Hurricane SMM replacement trail muffler on 270 or 290 tune, with filter inside the hood sucking the warm under hood air was 12.2-12.3 AFR.

Everyone keeps calling them cold air intakes which they are not when they are under the hood, mine is stuffed right into vent screen and the thermometer will read 100 F. right at the base of the filter on a 28 F day. That's the reason I extended it into the actual cold air right out in front of the under hood vent.

Back