• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Quieter muffler

I have no remedy to offer and really don't expect there is one. After our clutches the universal favorite complaint is track howl/drone. I'm fairly confident in saying it is a resonant frequency/harmonics issue and as such is pretty difficult to do anything about. We can only alter small parts of the resonant system and therefore we are limited to small improvements and more likely no improvement but small changes. Ear plugs work fine for me, price is right and is effective against all of the noises.

I have no remedy to offer and really don't expect there is one. After our clutches the universal favorite complaint is track howl/drone. I'm fairly confident in saying it is a resonant frequency/harmonics issue and as such is pretty difficult to do anything about. We can only alter small parts of the resonant system and therefore we are limited to small improvements and more likely no improvement but small changes. Ear plugs work fine for me, price is right and is effective against all of the noises.

What complaints have there been regarding the clutch? Noise?

Appreciate the feedback!

I have a Camoplast Crossover 1.5, 15" wide.
Review: Camoplast Crossover track

It's been too long since I switched so I don't really remember what it was like with the Ripsaw but I don't find it noisy except maybe at 90+km/h on hard pack. Right now, I just find my intake noise worse than anything. Once I get riding again, I'll let you know.

Yes , noise, specifically rattle at idle. And I do admit it sounds bad and I am surprised that Yamaha finds it acceptable but obviously they do. On the other hand I'm coming up on 13k km on mine and all I've done is clean them, never blew a belt and haven't spent a cent on them. Surely they are coming due for some attention but I've treated them well and had no troubles.

Anyone try removing some idler wheels and seeing if the noise is reduced/changed? Cheap to try. Some have done it on apex/vector and have sworn it helped

Last edited:
Sounds like a possibility. I went the opposite and added wheels, especially the low snow wheels at the front bend. So you sacrifice sliders for silence? Unless you always ride in powder, you're in for regular slider replacements.

Sounds like a possibility. I went the opposite and added wheels, especially the low snow wheels at the front bend. So you sacrifice sliders for silence? Unless you always ride in powder, you're in for regular slider replacements.

Yeah I think it was done just to pinpoint that it was indeed track howl. Not sure if there really is a good fix.

Anyone try removing some idler wheels and seeing if the noise is reduced/changed? Cheap to try. Some have done it on apex/vector and have sworn it helped

Yeah I think it was done just to pinpoint that it was indeed track howl. Not sure if there really is a good fix.

Well. Not necessarily remove/add wheels, but try different wheels/bearings. That could be some of the noise which I didn’t think of. Don’t know what would be a “higher quality wheel/bearing”

I have a feeling this summer my machine is going to receive a major overhaul lol

Again the tunnel reverberating the exhaust noise and track noise doesn’t help. And maybe even new slides with reduce a bit of friction and maybe even some noise.

Back