• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

rapid bike 3 question

FLYBYU

VIP Member
So since this thing can pull timing, do i need to do any timing adjustments with the cam gears when i do the head shim.

Wow, thats over my head!
I thinking of the ignition to fire the fuel at the right time depending of rpm, tps and boost.
And the cams decides how much air there are to compress.
Generally described!

Yes you do, when going with thicker head gasket and/or a head shim you need to move the cam gears at least on the intake cam to make the most power, retarding the intake cam will make more power.

Cam timing have been debated for years in this forum, please make a serch, write cam AND timing and you have something to read about until the end of next week :)

What TBird says - there is no relationship between what the RB3 does with the ignition timing and the timing of the overhead cams controlling the opening and closing of the exhaust and intake valves in the valve train of your cylinder head.

RB3 ingition timing tells the ECU and coils when to fire the spark.

Cam timing determines when the cams holds the valves open for filling of new charge and disposal of burnt charge.

FLYBYU said:
So since this thing can pull timing, do i need to do any timing adjustments with the cam gears when i do the head shim.

Yes definitety!

Head shim will shift the cams like + 2 degrees... yo uneed to restore it to stock or increase lsa.... by shifting the intake cam back enough

MulotTurbo said:
FLYBYU said:

Yes definitety!

Head shim will shift the cams like + 2 degrees... yo uneed to restore it to stock or increase lsa.... by shifting the intake cam back enough

The whole idea of adjusting your cam timing is to remove both the intake and exhaust overlap, not to put it back to its stock setting.

The 1.6mm head shim with one split head gasket will actually advance your cams 14 degrees. This is measured at 0.05 not seat to seat

Back