• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RS mechanical cam chain tension problem bulletin

kenOla and for those who still need the info, Snowtech March issue USA page 38 in the service and tuning notes section. Talks about what identifying color to look for. orange (old style), blue (new style). Color is on the tensioner housing. Yammmie dealers can no longer get the old style tensioner. Old style will be in the 2005 to 2007 models. All 2008 and newer 3-cylinders will allready have the new style tensioner, according to the article in SnowTech Mag. Hope this helps someone. RR ps. If I had one and I couldn't tell if the noise was coming from the clutch or the cam chain tensioner area, I'd pop off the clutch and run the motor at idle, that might help narrow it down.

I was up at my dealer on Friday, and talked with the techies out back. Here's the deal: they have never heard of anyone coming in with the problem (so far), but they did inform me of this bulletin that came out January 2, 2009. I guess the bulletin number would be S2009-001. (Wrote a couple things down while looking over his shoulder).

It talks about chain tensioner failure for 2005-2007 3 cylinder engines effecting the Vector, Venture, Rage, Nytro, Vector Moutain, and VK Professional.
Old Part Number: 8ES-1221--00-00
New Part Number: 8ES-1221--01-00

Just as RuppRider mentioned, the old part has an Orange mark / dot on the tensioner. The new part will have a Blue mark / dot. From 2008 and forward, they no longer use the old tensioner, so the rest of us have to wonder when that fatal day will occur like Greasemonkey59. :o|

is the tensioner straight forward to replace. My dealer quoted me $200 cdn for parts and approx. $500 labour. Just wondering if I can save $500 and do it myself. Yes my sled it out of warranty with 6000km on it.

rancidjo said:
is the tensioner straight forward to replace. My dealer quoted me $200 cdn for parts and approx. $500 labour. Just wondering if I can save $500 and do it myself. Yes my sled it out of warranty with 6000km on it.

It's straight forward, once you get to it. Just two bolts holding it into the engine case. But, no room to get at it without tipping the engine forward...lots of stuff to take off/move.

Awesome information for those of us with these models who haven't had this issue yet. Thank You to everyone who contributed.

vogelm1 said:
rancidjo said:

It's straight forward, once you get to it. Just two bolts holding it into the engine case. But, no room to get at it without tipping the engine forward...lots of stuff to take off/move.

Good, sounds like I can handle that. Will be tackling this in the off season. I will try and document it to help other DIY members.

rancidjo said:
vogelm1 said:
rancidjo said:

Good, sounds like I can handle that. Will be tackling this in the off season. I will try and document it to help other DIY members.

That would be awesome...yes please document/photo if you have the opportunity. After seeing one apart in my dealers shop, yeah, it's a good off season/summer project for when you can take your time and not fight the cold.

TrueBlue said:
Why fix it yourself when yamaha will fix it for you for free. The machine does not have to be under warranty to repair this.

My dealer said I had to cover it. I was not aware that yamaha repaired tech. bulletins, thought they only covered recalls after warranty. If anyone else has insight on this please let me (us) know.

Dealers will replace tensioners only if they are making noises. Again this only affects 05-07. The machine does not have to be in warranty. This is what dealer told me. See my message on Page 3.

No matter who ends up replacing the tensioner is there anyway of knowing what shape the bottom gear or drive sprocket is ? It was mentioned that this is where the wear takes place.
I will be cutting my oil filter apart to look for filings, although this my only make one worry more.

TrueBlue said:
Dealers will replace tensioners only if they are making noises. Again this only affects 05-07. The machine does not have to be in warranty. This is what dealer told me. See my message on Page 3.

My dealer told me to bring it in and Yamaha will cover the costs to change the part out....Might want to check another dealer..

I hope we can get this resolved. I and my daughter have 06 rages,low miles. My friend has one as well. Every dealer you ask seems to have different info. My dealer no longer sells Yamaha,I have to find another. I can't be worrying about having engine trouble on a newer sled. I still have my backup sled[ different brand] I'll probably use that until further notice. My warranty expires in March 2010. I should have bought the attak like my son-in-law has. plowking

Back