• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX1 Engine re-assembly (with pics)

Never hurts to look behind the clamp...

Attachments

• RX1 Engine Re-build 063.jpg
    RX1 Engine Re-build 063.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 230

More plumbing, oil cooler and oil adapter ring (for the turbo) installed.

Attachments

• IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 236
  • RX1 Engine Re-build 069.jpg
    RX1 Engine Re-build 069.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 224
  • RX1 Engine Re-build 068.jpg
    RX1 Engine Re-build 068.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 224
  • RX1 Engine Re-build 067.jpg
    RX1 Engine Re-build 067.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 223
  • RX1 Engine Re-build 066.jpg
    RX1 Engine Re-build 066.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 239
  • RX1 Engine Re-build 065.jpg
    RX1 Engine Re-build 065.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 226
That's it for now. We'll have to order a new elbow on Monday, and the chassis is heading off to the painter's in a few days. I'll add to the post again when it is time to put the engine in the sled, install the head & cams, and set the cam timing.

Thanks Lakercr,I had to do the same thing,order a new elbow.What did you put your ring gap at ?I put mine at .018 tho on top and .014 tho on bottom ring.How did you get that engine so clean on the out side?THANKS PS. nice pics

WOW that is GREAT.

Thanks so much I am sure that added alot of time for you but this is going to be a great resource for 'us' who have no experience and want to see what it is we are talking about.

I hope this gets 'forever saved' Mr Sled 'Tom' so people can pull forward the pics for future discussions

Thanks
Yamadoo

Blue shadow said:
Thanks Lakercr,I had to do the same thing,order a new elbow.What did you put your ring gap at ?I put mine at .018 tho on top and .014 tho on bottom ring.How did you get that engine so clean on the out side?THANKS PS. nice pics

These are .016' and .020"

Make friends with someone at your local transmission shop. Most of them have nice, big hot tanks for cleaning their parts. It won't come out quite like in the pics (I also painted these cases) but the hot tank does a pretty good job.

Very nicely done Lakercr ;)! !! I just wanted to clarify one piece of terminology for those who wouldn't neccessarily know. The cleaner that Lakercr is refering to, that the tranny guys use, is an enclosed, high pressure, multijet, high temp, pressure washer. Most that I have used have a rotating table that turns the parts. Another that I use is basically an industrial sized dish washer. They do work awesome ;)! . When I hear Hot Tank, I automatically think of the automotive version of a hot tank. These are a Hot caustic soda and water mix that they dip "Cast Iron" blocks into. You DO NOT want your nice "Aluminum" block in there. The caustic soda eats aluminum at an alarming rate. Depending on the strength of the caustic, 10 to 30 seconds would turn it irriversably black. A couple of minuites could ruin it :o| .
Again, the cleaner the Lakercr refered to is awsome and if you have access to one, use it. I just would hate to see someone hurt a block because there buddy has a backyard hot tank (caustic tank that is).
Great Job Lakercr
Tom Ljuden R+C Motorsports

Yes, thanks for pointing that out - I should have mentioned it. The washer I'm referring to (and as you describe), is specifically designed for cleaning aluminium.

Back