• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Schmidt Bros Fuel Regulator

woolyviper

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha Phazer RTX
Is anyone on here running the Fuel Regulator from SB?

Just wondering if you saw a big difference - I think the claim is 4-5hp.

I just bought this for my MTX about 3 weeks ago , but im unable to test it yet , no snow . but ill give you the heads up when i gives it a try

ive herd good things about that power commander , but its expensive , so ive went with the fuel pressure regulator . ive added alot of mods this year , so i wont notice just that one part .

Problem with a regulator is it adjusts the entire range.So if your mod only affects top end and you need more fuel on top you will be running rich everywhere else.PowerCommander is way to go.For minor mods tuning with the factory adjustments should be all you need.

cannondale27 said:
Problem with a regulator is it adjusts the entire range.So if your mod only affects top end and you need more fuel on top you will be running rich everywhere else.PowerCommander is way to go.For minor mods tuning with the factory adjustments should be all you need.
i thought it would have leaned it out with their claims of better fuel mileage.

Can be either.If they are running less fuelpressure then yes it will be leaner everywhere.I have never gained power without adding fuel unless was rich to begin with and in my experience a rich condition unless extreme gives very little in HP gains with tuning.In other words I would rather be rich than lean.

If they are leaning it out then any future mods will for sure require a richer mixture at least in some areas if the mods are actually producing power.

I would say it has to be leaning out the mixture. The fuel pump is going to supply fuel at a certain PSI. I don't think a 'regulator' can increase pressure, so if you are decreasing pressure then you have to be leaning out the mix. If you read the info on the product, it states the stock air/fuel ratio is 11.5 to 1. They state optimal is 12.5 to 1... which is LEANER than stock. As far as I can figure, this thing 'tricks' the fuel injection into leaning out the mix by dropping the fuel pressure to the throttle body.

At the risk of getting flamed, this thing sounds kinda hack. And at $150, until I see a real dyno result, I'd save my money and go with the Power Commander! Just my 2 cents...

Previous to my 07 Phazer (which I haven't rode yet, except for going over the handlebars driving it backards off the back of a truck!) for a trail sled I had a 03 f7. They had the same kinda mod for the F7's but it cost alot less.

Basically It was a 0-50 gauge, a 5/16" tee, and a inline dial type pressure reducer. And on the f7's you could make the kit for about $35-40. Again companys were selling them for $125+. Only thing you would do with the kit is lower the fuel pressure to the rail at WOT.

Now on my f7 you'd have to keep your WOT fuel pressure on the gauge above 40psi (along with reading wash, psi would depend on the sled) otherwise on long runs you'd run the risk of a burn down. Same type of gains would apply 4-5hp. I'd say on a 4 stroke engine you would have desired wide open fuel pressure to get yourself to the desired 12.5-1 reading on a O2 gauge.

For the $50 with hose's and hose clamps needed to make the kit i'm sure you could get 3-4hp more out of a phazer on the top end, if they are rich from the factory. Only way you would get anymore out of the sled in the mid-range would be with a power commander, attitude box, or a boondocker type efi programer were you could lean out the mid range fuel.

jakecease said:
Previous to my 07 Phazer (which I haven't rode yet, except for going over the handlebars driving it backards off the back of a truck!) for a trail sled I had a 03 f7. They had the same kinda mod for the F7's but it cost alot less.

Basically It was a 0-50 gauge, a 5/16" tee, and a inline dial type pressure reducer. And on the f7's you could make the kit for about $35-40. Again companys were selling them for $125+. Only thing you would do with the kit is lower the fuel pressure to the rail at WOT.

Now on my f7 you'd have to keep your WOT fuel pressure on the gauge above 40psi (along with reading wash, psi would depend on the sled) otherwise on long runs you'd run the risk of a burn down. Same type of gains would apply 4-5hp. I'd say on a 4 stroke engine you would have desired wide open fuel pressure to get yourself to the desired 12.5-1 reading on a O2 gauge.

For the $50 with hose's and hose clamps needed to make the kit i'm sure you could get 3-4hp more out of a phazer on the top end, if they are rich from the factory. Only way you would get anymore out of the sled in the mid-range would be with a power commander, attitude box, or a boondocker type efi programer were you could lean out the mid range fuel.
leaning out a four stroke will not give it power. but it will for a 2 stroke engine

jakecease said:

This will not work on any of the Yamaha 4-stroke models. They use a "pressure sensing" sytem where they will constantly run "X" amount of fuel pressure no matter if you put a needle valve in the fuel line or not. When you go to turn the needle valve in it will simply push the fuel pump harder to maintain pressure.

This will not work on any of the Yamaha 4-stroke models. They use a "pressure sensing" sytem where they will constantly run "X" amount of fuel pressure no matter if you put a needle valve in the fuel line or not. When you go to turn the needle valve in it will simply push the fuel pump harder to maintain pressure.

So basically schmidt brothers kit wouldn't work either. Based of what they show off their website is they sell an inline regulator? What I explained before is an adjustable inline regulator.[/quote]

No Schmidt Bros setup will work as they are replacing the stock fuel pressure regulator on the end of the fuel rail to alter the pressure. They are not trying to adjust the pressure with a inline regulator between the fuel pump and OEM regulator. They are replacing the OEM regulator to alter the fuel pressure to a different PSI.

It will work but I would bet there will be areas where it will actually hurt power.Power Commander can be tuned so all areas are optimized.

well it leans out the phazer motor , because it comes already rich , but wont leaning it out have power loss? richer will produce more power then lean , its not a two stroke.

Back