• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Seriously thinking of quitting the sport

Good to see you stepped back off the ledge my friend. I knew something was up because you have been around here a little less. My worst fear was that you were riding a Ski-doo! You are right about retirement. It takes a while to adjust but at least you aren't working when the snow is at its best. Also, as knowledgeable as you are on these sleds I know you enjoy the wrenching but time pressures can ruin that too.

Yeah but the cliff is still there. I've been around less for other reasons and there haven't been that many posts in the MP section. I wish I was retired.

Go ride the reservation trails in grand portage mn (cook county) right next to thunder bay Canada.

Sounds like a good place to ride, just a bit far from me...

She knows me too well. It truely bothers her that my mood from NOV-APR is directly linked to the amount of snow we have haha

How true!

I gotta get me some time off and try to ride.

I quit tbe sport back in about 2006. Same reasons. Always knew I'd get sucked back in someday.
Then while shopping for an atv for my gf on Craigslist I spotted a 2007 Apex RTX with low miles and saved the ad in my phone.
Started thinking about how much I love the Apex and had always wanted to get a 4 stroke Yamaha sled. Especially since I've had several R1s.
Started texting the seller and in a few weeks a deal was made.
Now I have another Apex! :D

Yeah weak winters suck! hunting snow as I call it, adds up real quickly. It is also an expensive hobby to own maintain gas lodging insurance. sometimes I wonder if it is worth it? But I know it is because when I'm on ANY sled its all smiles from ear to ear.
Plus I hit new trails so that's worth it to me. Last year i put on 1500 miles away from home. I got in about 20 rough hardly worth it miles around home.
Cost per mile is horrendous over 48 years of this disease!!But there is nothing like it!

I understand your disappointment. I barely have over 1,150 miles of great riding this year. I was really hoping for a great year of 3,500+ but I don’t think it is going to happen. Hmmmm

I understand your disappointment. I barely have over 1,150 miles of great riding this year. I was really hoping for a great year of 3,500+ but I don’t think it is going to happen. Hmmmm
1150 would be a great season here...
then again, 1150 tug hill miles can get expensive if no snow around home...lol! Already one mishap this year...

We had some great snow , but after the recent warm up nothing to ride on. Hopeing for more soon

U.P. has some really solid riding. Where are you heading?
I am heading out on a bagger trip from Geenland to Munising and back to the trucks. So short answer is most of West UP not sure if or how far into the kewanah we will make it.

I'm tired of hoping and praying that next season will be better and it isn't. I'm tired of anxiously waiting for the first snowfall only to be disappointed when it gets washed away with rain a week later. I'm tired of paying for trail permits that don't get used. I'm tired of parking my sled after my first short ride and waking up next morning with it on grass. I'm tired of checking the trail status maps online only to see nothing but red in the middle of winter.

I love sledding and my machine, so much so that this really depresses me every damned year. I can't remember the last time we had a good full season of riding around here. I don't care about the expenses related to sledding as I expect it but to waste money on something (trail passes) that will just evaporate because the trails were closed all season just makes me angry.

I dunno what to think anymore. Sell the sled and stuff? Keep holding hope? I'm starting to feel like a fool thinking it will get better.

I run thru this every year, thinking about getting out myself, with the winters not getting any better and the loss of advertisers I wont have to get out, it will push me out because I wont be able to afford this place. What I do see out on the trails and the lack of respect of riders towards private land and other riders is ridiculous. They hog the trail and think the world belongs to them.. maybe get out before I get put on a coffin. People need to learn to slow down when others are on the trail, dont stop and chit chat in the middle of the fricken trail with your buds and expect us to go around, stay on your side and just slow down when people are coming at you or working on a sled.. stop worrying about putting up the damn hand signals, learn how yo control your sled....

Snowmobiling definitely has its ups & downs. Throughout the years I found it better to take a step back to clear my head.
Better to do that, then to sell it off and repurchase later.

I love gearing up and taking that first ride. Makes it all worth it.

Snowmobiling definitely has its ups & downs. Throughout the years I found it better to take a step back to clear my head.
Better to do that, then to sell it off and repurchase later.

I love gearing up and taking that first ride. Makes it all worth it.

When you going to become a VIP? You practically live on the site..LOL

We bought land and are building a large cabin/house 3,700 sq ft only 400 ft from the groomed Trail I ride every chance I can. Through the week is the best. In our riding area, 3 counties, we have over 700 miles of groomed Trail and several thousand miles of two tracks. 5 sleds 4 bikes 2 atvs soon 2 snow bikes for winter motocross trails.

We bought land and are building a large cabin/house 3,700 sq ft only 400 ft from the groomed Trail I ride every chance I can. Through the week is the best. In our riding area, 3 counties, we have over 700 miles of groomed Trail and several thousand miles of two tracks. 5 sleds 4 bikes 2 atvs soon 2 snow bikes for winter motocross trails.

Let me know where and I will drop my trailer.

When you going to become a VIP? You practically live on the site..LOL
I feel like VIP every time I come here. Lol. I honestly don't know exactly what it is. I'll review it & keep you posted.

Thanks for everything Mr. Sled. Appreciate your work.

I run thru this every year, thinking about getting out myself, with the winters not getting any better and the loss of advertisers I wont have to get out, it will push me out because I wont be able to afford this place.
I am extremely grateful for everything MrSled does in support of this site. Without the forums, I wouldn't have been able to complete the maintenance I have done, nor would I have found out about the great products I use from Barn of Parts, Ulmer, Muffinorks, WRP, etc.

I for one, finally did the VIP membership (way too late) and turned off my ad blocking for TY to better support the site. It would be interesting to know how much of his personal time and own $$ are spent maintaining TY.

Back