• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder Diagnostic Codes

Just had my sidewinder out and code SD_42 started flashing, it also said I’m going 261mph ...looking it up it says speed sensor, any idea what’s causing this, just got it back from the dealer doing all the updates and it was running fine.... is this a simple unhook the battery reset fix or worse?
Speed sensor is black patch on chaincase. Check the plug going to it. Tis right by reverse actuator. Bet it just wasn't plugged in well.

Reverse isn’t working either, any pics so I can compare what’s plugged in and not?

Here are the pics I took, checked the ones that were plugged in, seem ok, now here are wires and plugs with nothing on them, still flashing the code and the reverse doesn’t work, checked the fuse looks ok, not sure of the relay, don’t have a spare , thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• 628EAFC3-44CB-40E4-95EE-78DA611856BB.jpeg
    628EAFC3-44CB-40E4-95EE-78DA611856BB.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 809
  • F1553C8F-A0A9-483F-B4DA-BFB12B0DE8A4.jpeg
    F1553C8F-A0A9-483F-B4DA-BFB12B0DE8A4.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 657
  • BFFA1A38-FB11-42AF-9A66-3A6408118CC0.jpeg
    BFFA1A38-FB11-42AF-9A66-3A6408118CC0.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 602
  • 364D2BEA-8C0E-4004-96AE-CC83FF08BAB9.jpeg
    364D2BEA-8C0E-4004-96AE-CC83FF08BAB9.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 690
The picture with you holding that black strip (speed sensor) well that should be mounted to your chaincase cover and receives signal from the magnets at your bottom sprocket. There's more than likely a little residue or fading area marking where it goes. I believe with some good quality high temp silicone you can glue it back on. All your plugs and wires seem to be pluged in properly, just double check them.

The picture with you holding that black strip (speed sensor) well that should be mounted to your chaincase cover and receives signal from the magnets at your bottom sprocket. There's more than likely a little residue or fading area marking where it goes. I believe with some good quality high temp silicone you can glue it back on. All your plugs and wires seem to be pluged in properly, just double check them.

Oh I hope that fixes it, thanks for the reply. I’ll let you know.

Not yet my sled is at camp, I’m hoping to get there tomorrow, the dealer who just had the sled said the same thing, silicone the black strip on and see what happens. This is also why it may not go in reverse, the computer is reading that the sled is going 261mph on the speedo.

Siliconed the black strip back on, started the sled, picked the back up and ran it , mph back to zero and reverse back working. Thanks for the help, saved me a trip to dealer ( now almost 2hrs away) and having to miss all the great snow fall!

Last edited:
Does a 2018 Yamaha sidewinder ltx se have onbord scan tool

Back