• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder trail gas range.

Finally the truth comes out lol.. I know lots of guys compare fuel mileage to other sleds but that’s not really a good way IMO. Most of my big runs in northern Ontario are with Polaris 850’s and there tanks are big, 44 litres and there range is way more than mine because of that, so if I’m burning the same amount as them it still doesn’t mean anything as I’m running out before them..
I’m not concerned about burning an extra $10-$20 of fuel a day it’s the northern trips where there are certain trails where gas is 180-190km between stops.
Excellent post...

I’m riding with Doo 850 , on every fill up my Winder does take 1.2-1.6 gallon more than Doo . Like some said already I don’t care about spending a couple more dollars for gas, I just don’t like to be always first on gas pump :)

I should mention that, difference of 1.5 gal it’s on 5-6 gallons fill up .

i mounted a fuel tank in the back and plumbed it into the main tank vent (not my idea at all) and i can get 300km range pretty easily. dont have to pour gas cans into the main tank anymore haha

Ran the Closed Loop last weekend for 500 miles.
Got my typical 11.5 mpg BUT, a huge BUT, i also saw some runs of 14, 15 & even 16 mpg although they were short runs.
I averaged 12.5 with my normal riding. That's hitting it pretty hard also. Usually i was slightly better then my old Winder on Ecotrail.

Like some say, i don'y care about the money, i just want to make it to the next gas station.
I usually have my runs planned, but sometimes things go wrong like the pump is empty or real deep snow or poor signage as in I'M LOST!
That said, with the extra 4 gallons i carry, i feel confident i won't run out of gas.

Here's the BIG issue.
If you know starting a run that the next gas or home is 130 miles away, can you make it? I say yes
How often does that happen? Usually you're 80 miles in when you notice you're lost.
That's the whole reason this thread is actually here

P.S: Going real slow does NOT save gas. 6000ish rpm's seemed to be best & still fun
P.S2: Since i went 40 miles on 2.5 gallons of gas, I owe my X dinner.
P.S3: That's 16mpg for those that still don't realize there's a calculator on their phone

Last edited:
Lol. We ride at some times 6-8 998s on saddle bag trips. We drive aggressively where the trails allow it. A stock sidewinder riding like this does NOT get the mileage of a well clutched , geared, tuned sled period. We all fill up same time, burp tanks etc and the stock sleds always take a bit more fuel. I don't need a GPS or record mileage . We will be testing closed loop and see if the claims are true when we get a chance same tunes, same clutching, same gearing will see what happens.

Wouldn't that primarly due to the stock Sidewinder(s) in your group is trying to follow you boosted guys? Just like a 600cc will use as much fuel trying to do the same?

Otherwise wouldn't a tune like Ecotrail where I assume just leans A/F to be less conservative than stock with stock muffler/clutches be as good on fuel as other tunes? From what I read here it doesn't seem to be the case.

Last season I filled my Sidewinder with Max Spool 16 at the same time as my Dad's stock Sidewinder. We rode all day and we knew it was going to be close to making it back to his cabin with the fuel we had. I ran out about 5 miles from the cabin. He sled ran out backing into the garage. So the stock machine used a bit less fuel.

Going’s through this whole thread and some are saying the PM tunes will be better on fuel than the SM tunes.. I wonder if that’s my issue, maybe the SS doesn’t run efficiently with a SM.
This is where I’m at. I’m seriously considering trying the pm tune. I don’t care about the gas$$, I just hate being the one that always needs gas first. I run with Polaris 850’s, skidoo 850s and an 11 Apex. I’m always the first to worry about finding a gas station.

This is where I’m at. I’m seriously considering trying the pm tune. I don’t care about the gas$$, I just hate being the one that always needs gas first. I run with Polaris 850’s, skidoo 850s and an 11 Apex. I’m always the first to worry about finding a gas station.
My buddy has a Turbo Dynamics Tune, I believe its 240 or 250 hp. When trail riding, his sled is always easier on fuel than my stock SW. Over a 120-150km run (which is most of the tank) i always need about 2 more litres at fill up than him.

It makes for fun conversation. I am convinced my slim jims take more power to push through the snow vs his triple points - especially in spring conditions.

Its a great comparison - because we are riding virtually identical speeds and identical terrain. We have pushed the tanks to beyond 200km on a few occasions - I believe mine clocked 210 with 3 litres left in tank when we filled.

If you have an apex in the group - there is no way you will run out before it does.
MS

My buddy has a Turbo Dynamics Tune, I believe its 240 or 250 hp. When trail riding, his sled is always easier on fuel than my stock SW. Over a 120-150km run (which is most of the tank) i always need about 2 more litres at fill up than him.

It makes for fun conversation. I am convinced my slim jims take more power to push through the snow vs his triple points - especially in spring conditions.

Its a great comparison - because we are riding virtually identical speeds and identical terrain. We have pushed the tanks to beyond 200km on a few occasions - I believe mine clocked 210 with 3 litres left in tank when we filled.

If you have an apex in the group - there is no way you will run out before it does.
MS
Interstinf you mention the apex because my sled is harder on fuel than the apex. Consistently. The apex always runs close to the 850 etec. Etec usually beats it by some. Does your buddy have a stock muffler tune or performance muffler tune?

Interstinf you mention the apex because my sled is harder on fuel than the apex. Consistently. The apex always runs close to the 850 etec. Etec usually beats it by some. Does your buddy have a stock muffler tune or performance muffler tune?
The tune was a simple reflash of the ecu, clutch kit to the primary (spring, weights, and rollers) - and that was it. No change to muffler - stock.
Compared to my sled - which is stock - his sled feels just a little crisper on all levels. Not jerky or twitchy - he is sharper off the line, the acceleration through rpm bands is better, and it has a bit more legs on the top end.

Its like drinking a 7yr rum vs 15yr. Both are good, but the fifteen is just finer.

It could be how you guys drive - if you are burying the throttle all day long and not necessarily going faster than the guy in front of you - your fuel mileage will be terrible. When we are distance riding we dont ride like we are playing in snow drifts. Not saying anything wrong with hammering the throttle all day - but your consumption will be different.
MS

Sadly the 998's should have gotten a larger gas tank. With that said, if you regularly go more than 100 miles between fuel stops, you might want to plumb up an extra few gallons. More horsepower and less fuel storage is not a comfortable combo.

I am convinced my slim jims take more power to push through the snow vs his triple points
I believe this also. They just seem to drag more.
I wish someone had the time to do a head to head or day to day comparison .

I figured out my gas burning issues, I didn’t want to post my finding and cause a pissing match but it had to do with a secondary spring setting.

I figured out my gas burning issues, I didn’t want to post my finding and cause a pissing match but it had to do with a secondary spring setting.
Do tell........

Back