• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Skid plate install

70superbee

Expert
I finally broke down a bought a skid plate for my 06 attak. I remember seeing a while back about the rivnuts being a little short. I went to my local fastnel to get longer ones and they were useless. And our local hardware store just closed. Where can I get some longer ones?
Plus how do I find the old threads for the skid plate install.

Thanks in advance.

Richie R

I have a bag full of these, I'll be in your area the weekend of Nov 6-7 looking at a cabin, if you can wait until then. or you can get them from McMaster carr.

Defintly want to use the 17mm ones from McMaster-Carr. I also used a longer bolt and turned a nut on the bolt against the tool to pull the them in. Way more effective.

Thanks guys, going back to fastnel I know they can get longer metric ones just need someone behind the counter that knows something.

Richie R

I just finished installing a skid plate and I used the Yamaha ones that come in a kit, I take it these ones are the ones that fall out or come out fairly easy??

When installing mine I used Permatex The Right Stuff around the knurled part of them, after I was done torgueing them down, you could see the right stuff around the base of them and the bottom of the sled.

My gut tells me they will stay as the Permatex stuff gets hard and holds things like no tomorrow!

What are the main reasons that these tend to fail, I have heard about them coming out but don't know the reasons why?

Attachments

• HPIM1225 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM1225 (Medium).JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 76
i took mine off because ice kept building between it and the sled.. ripped the bolts right out and the rivnuts too

I went to home depot and got a bunch of these rubber rivnuts. They works great. Have not had an issue in the 4 years I have used them.

Attachments

• rubnut5.jpg
    rubnut5.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 72
KevinS said:
I went to home depot and got a bunch of these rubber rivnuts. They works great. Have not had an issue in the 4 years I have used them.

Those would work great, like you said.

If I have trouble with mine, I will be using your idea and those rubber rivnuts or sure!

Wish I had of thought of those first before I dropped $30 CDN on Yamaha's install kit :o|

KevinS said:

starting using them in 2007...
went up a size...used a stainless screw and washer...used anti-seize held great and removed easily!

I use those rubber well nuts on a bunch of other stuff. Just never thought of them till I saw the post. Thats what Iam going to put in.

Thanks
Richie R

sj said:
KevinS said:

starting using them in 2007...
went up a size...used a stainless screw and washer...used anti-seize held great and removed easily!

So do have the dimensions of the rubber well-nuts that you used. is there a tool for installing these like there is for the regular rivnuts? I have the rivet gun style tool for the regular rivnuts so I wonder if that will make the regular ones hold ok?

Or I may just put in the rubber ones. Didnt know what the install process consisted of. Thanks

the rubber well nuts used...I just drilled a slightly larger hole...push them in...install the skid plate...tighten bolt....the backside of the rubber expands.

Back