• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

smoki´n

hooper

Expert
Country
Sweden
Snowmobile
ZR9000
Some serious problems:motor smoking like a steamtrain from exhaust,been driving for 45 min with no problems,while looking back I saw some really heavy smoke,drove back to the shop and began to take things apart.
Motor was spinning as usual,boost ok 1,2bar,throttle response ok.
Smell of burned oil.Heavy fog.

Result:no oil leakage from or to turbo,oilsupply ok,turbo spinning no seisure ,a lot of coolant had leaked out from somewhere,almost 500 cc refilled,no warninglights came on due to low level of coolant.

Started motor in the shop,no problems ,no smoke !?!?!

What´s going on?

Vague memory of puoring in too much oil,one liter,but not sure. :o|

Hooper, make sure the two turbo oil lines that get routed back up front are not pinched where they go under the fuel tank and around the CF casting. I heated up my gas tank and reformed it in that area to keep my lines from getting pinched.

Toke of the chargetube from turbo and there WAS some serious leaking.
Lots of oil both in intake AND exhaustside,going to send turbo to MCX for repair.Impeller spinns ok,no bearing seisure,maybe some gasketfailure?
Never heard of this.

Did you check your hoses where I mentioned? Also make sure the oil return pump is working. A failure of either of these will cause what you describe.

There is an easy way to test for pinched hoses or return pump failure. With the sled at idle loosen the largest banjo screw down in front of the turbo. If no oil is coming out when engine is running everything should be fine. Return pump is sucking so hard it won't leak out the banjo screw when engine is running at idle. When you stop the engine there should be a small leak coming out of the banjo screw. If return pump is not working or the return line is pinched there will be a leak at the banjo screw at idle.

RXRIDER:You mean losen the biggest banjoscrew of the two oilreturn hoses?

I thought Malpassi pumps where bulletproof.
If the oilpump return is malfunction does that really cause heavy overflow
of oil in both inlet and exhaustside of the turbo?
I thougt that each side of turbo is complete sealed from each other,only the turbineaxel with bearings connects the two.
I have never disasembled a turbo so im not sure.

Heard of car turbos breaking down with lots of smoke caused by seised axels,burned bearings,broken impellerblades and so on but never this.

Am I totaly lost?

hooper said:
RXRIDER:You mean losen the biggest banjoscrew of the two oilreturn hoses?
RE: Yes I wrote large, should have been largest or biggest.

I thought Malpassi pumps where bulletproof.
RE: The oilpump it self is bulletproof, the small pin going into the new flywheel bolt is not. The small pin could have been slightly damaged at install, I know of one guy that broke it at install.

Am I totaly lost?
RE: I don't think so :D

PS! Before stopping the engine, do you ride slowly for a minute and let it idle for 10 sec after a long pull? This will effect the longevity of the turbo.
Let us know what you find. I hope she's well soon.

Well You were right guys,it was the oilpump.The axel to impeller had seised totaly and therefore the pin had snapped of.

Why didn´t the pump get any oil after almost 800 miles?I haven´t done any major wrenching since installing the rearmount.
Both hoses were not restricted,oilsupply hose ok.

Ive lost my mounting instructions.Must the hose to oilpump be in a certain clock position like six or twelve? It was at eight .

Not sure how this damned thing works.Whats the third hose good for?

I can mail them to you if you like, I have the install manual scanned into .jpg files.

Back