• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snub shaft, last question, promise!?!?

When i did this on my my Nytro - the bearing's seal had a rigid washer imbedded in the rubber seal. So when you picked it out it was crimping it and leaving a dimple was tough to avoid. They may have changed the SW bearing, but if you have over 10,000 km on it and you have it apart - probably wise just to add a new bearing.
MS
Pulling it out today. However I am watching reads in regards to possible complications, in regards to seal.

To start with I have .45mm between brg & housing. Idk if that's about what it should be. But I've never blown a belt.
IMG_20221125_091716448_copy_1536x2048.jpg

That is about the clearance mine had, but I did blow a belt, and the previous owner blew some belts as well. (found pieces before I rode it)
I tried as carefully as I could to get the seal out in usable condition, but it just wasn't possible. I used a heavy socket on the clutch bolt to make a slide hammer that would pull it straight. I ruined the seal, which wasn't expensive, but it was back ordered and took about a month to get last spring. I did press the bearing tight with green loc tight. By doing this and removing the shim washer behind the secondary, I got to the 58 mm offset. I hope this works for me as I'm not a fan of belts coming apart at 8500. Once was enough. ( I only have 300 miles on the sled myself )

That is about the clearance mine had, but I did blow a belt, and the previous owner blew some belts as well. (found pieces before I rode it)
I tried as carefully as I could to get the seal out in usable condition, but it just wasn't possible. I used a heavy socket on the clutch bolt to make a slide hammer that would pull it straight. I ruined the seal, which wasn't expensive, but it was back ordered and took about a month to get last spring. I did press the bearing tight with green loc tight. By doing this and removing the shim washer behind the secondary, I got to the 58 mm offset. I hope this works for me as I'm not a fan of belts coming apart at 8500. Once was enough. ( I only have 300 miles on the sled myself )

I'm using gentle persuasion on this housing and not having much success. I'll try throwing a large socket on the end of the clutch bolt and see if I can slide hammer it just to get it moving.
I am at 61mm now, haven't had a problem. Just trying to get things in order for a tune. I would say 58mm is very respectable.
I'm taking a 2 mm sec. Washer from the dealer and having it bench ground down .5 mm. Just some food for thought for you.

Got housing completely away from block. Without forcing it it seems to be held up by something else? Not sure.
Please advise.
IMG_20221125_095529771_copy_1536x2048.jpg

That would be the seal stopping it yet. keep hammering (as light as possible) If tight, it will most likely ruin the seal. Mine was stuck real hard and it deformed the seal before it released. The shaft pulls out some before making contact with the back of the seal. I don't understand how some guys were able to reuse it.

That would be the seal stopping it yet. keep hammering (as light as possible) If tight, it will most likely ruin the seal. Mine was stuck real hard and it deformed the seal before it released. The shaft pulls out some before making contact with the back of the seal. I don't understand how some guys were able to reuse it.
Seal is good. Thank God.... I don't have access to a bearing press today. Is there another way to get the housing to release the bearing?

Please forgive..... The goal here is to loctite the bearing to the housing. And don't need to loctite the brg to the shaft. Is that correct?

IMG_20221125_102828795_copy_1536x2048.jpg

Surprisingly enough the shaft came off the bearing much easier than the bearing came out of the housing.
IMG_20221125_115741011~2_copy_908x623.jpg

Why don't you put the housing in your toaster oven at 200 deg. F for 20 or 30 min. The bearing should fall right in. Let it cool before doing anything else.

When re installing - put the shaft in the freezer overnight - makes pressing the bearing much easier. And like the above comment heat the housing up, i just used a heat gun - but place it in the toaster, why not. Lol .

MS

Back